Samsung Begins Mass Production of Industry's First 12Gb LPDDR5 Mobile DRAM

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/07/18 09:42:59 (permalink)
https://www.neowin.net/news/samsung-begins-mass-production-of-its-12gb-lpddr5-mobile-dram

Samsung Electronics, the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has begun mass producing the industry's first 12-gigabit ( Gb) LPDDR5 mobile DRAM, which has been optimized for enabling 5G and AI features in future smartphones. The new mobile memory comes just five months after announcing mass production of the 12 GB LPDDR4X, further reinforcing the company's premium memory lineup. Samsung also plans to start mass producing 12-gigabyte (GB) LPDDR5 packages later this month, each combining eight of the 12 Gb chips, in line with growing demand for higher smartphone performance and capacity from premium smartphone manufacturers.

At a data rate of 5,500 megabits per second (Mb/s), the 12 Gb LPDDR5 is approximately 1.3 times faster than previous mobile memory (LPDDR4X, 4266 Mb/s) that is found in today's high-end smartphones. 

There's no question in my mind who is the world's leading memory manufacturer. The reasons for this new memory is straightforward in my opinion. Consumers are downloading more and more content. So smartphones will need more memory to cope with the demand. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile