EVGA

Helpful ReplySTORAGE DRIVE "UNALLOCATED"

Author
GEPlayer
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/11/21 19:27:04 (permalink)
Something very odd is happening to my storage drive. It's happened before and I was able to fix it with a system restore, but I can no longer use that system restore point as it's disappeared. The SSD is working and is detected in BIOS, device manager and disk management. However I can't format the drive in either of those scenarios nor can I "initialize the drive". I suspect that theres a conflict with a RAID controller when I tried a RAID set-up a few years ago. I say this because I have 2 identical drives, both 55GB. The current "unallocated" drive is 106GB, which makes me think windows thinks those drives are in RAID, but they are not I assure you that.

I really don't want to format the drive, there has to be a fix to this. If I could get those system restore points back I would be fine, but for some reason they have disappeared, even though I have allocated 9GB of storage for system restore. 

Its listed as a Intel Raid 0 volume, but it should be identical to the drive just under it, as they are the same drive.
GEPlayer
Re: STORAGE DRIVE "UNALLOCATED" 2017/11/21 21:38:31 (permalink)
Okay It "APPEARS" I have found a solution, had I thought of this first thing I could of saved a world of time. The 2 Intel SATA 6GB ports seem to be having some conflict with 2 drives plugged in. So I removed 1 drive and plugged it into the GSATA Marvel control port, no ideal...but it worked! The drive is now detected and functioning as it should. So if anyone has the same issue, just use another SATA 6GB port. I tried changing plugs but ONLY to a SATA 3Gb port, which didn't help.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: STORAGE DRIVE "UNALLOCATED" 2017/11/21 21:46:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GEPlayer 2017/11/21 22:48:26
Glad you got it worked out.

I've been thought this before where my RAID 0 array was in shambles on my X99 coming from a X58 system.  Only way I remedied this issue was individually formatting them.  My one drive did act up a bit but eventually was recognized.  I than bought a 3rd drive (raptors) and set them all in RAID 0 via Win 10.  Has been great ever since.  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
GEPlayer
Re: STORAGE DRIVE "UNALLOCATED" 2017/11/21 22:51:33 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Glad you got it worked out.

I've been thought this before where my RAID 0 array was in shambles on my X99 coming from a X58 system.  Only way I remedied this issue was individually formatting them.  My one drive did act up a bit but eventually was recognized.  I than bought a 3rd drive (raptors) and set them all in RAID 0 via Win 10.  Has been great ever since.  

That's a shame you had to format the drives, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that myself. RAID is just a nightmare if you don't get it right. My guess is that the Intel controller on my M/B has a conflicted driver, hence why whenever I plug the drive into the 2nd port it screws up. Marvel controller isn't ideal but it works and for the moment Im happy with it until I do a big format then Ill be sure to uninstall ALL remnants of partitions. Thanks again Amigo, for help in both areas!
GEPlayer
Re: STORAGE DRIVE "UNALLOCATED" 2017/11/23 23:40:46 (permalink)
So just a follow up. I have no fixed the issue COMPLETELY. The drive is back in it's original port and being detected as it should. Heres how.

Solution 1: (Preferred) Navigate to Device Manager > Storage Controllers > Intel XXXXXXXX SATA ACHI controller. Double-click, Properties, Update Driver, Browse My Comp, Let me pick from a list, Standard SATA ACHI controller, Restart
Solution 2: If available plug the drive into another SATA III 6Gb port, in this case a Marvell Controller port which worked for me.

Its obvious that the Intel SATA ACHI drivers are corrupted.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile