SMIC 7nm-class N+1 Foundry Node Going Live by Q4-2020

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102260
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/04/06 23:10:15 (permalink)
https://wccftech.com/chinese-semiconductor-manufacturer-smic-to-introduce-7nm-node/

China's state-backed SMIC (Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation) has set an ambitious target of Q4-2020 for its 7 nanometer-class N+1 foundry node to go live, achieving "small scale production," according to a cnTechPost report. The company has a lot of weight on its shoulders as geopolitical hostility between the U.S. and China threatens to derail the country's plans to dominate 5G technology markets around the world. The SMIC N+1 node is designed to improve performance by 20%, reduce chip power consumption by 57%, reduce logic area by 63%, and reduce SoC area by 55%, in comparison to the SMIC's 14 nm FinFET node, Chinese press reports citing a statement from SMIC's co-CEO Dr. Liang Mengsong.

Dr. Liang confirmed that the N+1 7 nm node and its immediate successor will not use EUV lithography. N+1 will receive a refinement in the form of N+2, with modest chip power consumption improvement goals compared to N+1. This is similar to SMIC's 12 nm FinFET node being a refinement of its 14 nm FinFET node. Later down its lifecycle, once the company has got a handle of its EUV lithography equipment, N+2 could receive various photomasks, including a switch to EUV at scale.

SMIC is at the receiving end of increased investment. Despite a revenue of $3 billion in 2019, its capital expenditure is expected to reach $3.1 billion this year, as the company sets up a new 12-inch wafer fab in Shanghai for $2 billion, and invests a further $500 million to add 12-inch capacity to its Beijing fab. The Chinese semiconductor industry is racing against time to provide the likes of Huawei with viable alternatives to cutting-edge foreign fabs like Samsung and TSMC. New U.S. regulation disrupting Huawei's access to TSMC will only accelerate development of sub-10 nm nodes at mainland Chinese companies like SMIC.

This could be a company that Huawei could use for its mobile CPUs if the US government bans them from using TSMC in my personal opinion. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

2 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: SMIC 7nm-class N+1 Foundry Node Going Live by Q4-2020 2020/04/07 13:26:19 (permalink)
    Interesting story

I wonder where they got the Mfg equipment & IP to make this happen

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: SMIC 7nm-class N+1 Foundry Node Going Live by Q4-2020 2020/04/07 22:44:21 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Interesting story

I wonder where they got the Mfg equipment & IP to make this happen

Most American Universities publish the names of their graduate students and their research topics on their web sites.

Go to all the best: Princeton, MIT, Caltech, Stanford Columbia etc... and check out the last names and country of origin for the Electrical Engineering graduate (M.S, PhD) students.

You’ll find your answers there...

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile