SC15 big Frame rate issue

Author
Athena
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 328
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/06/04 09:02:10 (permalink)
So this Weekend I got to put the new lappy to the big test with a Ghost Recon Wildlands session Friday night.
Things where going awesome for the 1st 15 min.  Then it started having frame rate drops to 3 to 4 FPS for up to 5 to 20 second periods of time. 

I run a cooling pad and boost fan so CPU and GPU temps stay just over 70 to 75 degrees so that was not an issue.  I tried lowering the details.  I reset the Nvidia Experience and re-optimized and that helped not at all.  Sp now I am very worried.  Seems when I was playing for short sessions 5 to 10 minutes it was great.  But as soon as it goes over 15 minutes it starts having fits and they get progressively worse.  And you do not have to be doing anything in game, you can be sitting at a stand still and suddenly 2 FPS for up to a full minute. 

Really need a clue here.  Love this laptop but I can't have this.  Checked the HD activity and it is not that it is having a hard time pulling textures.  I am really just at a loss.  Like I said you can just have your toon standing still doing nothing and it will go into this mode  and you never know if it will last for just a couple seconds or longer.

This is pulling the joy out of this totally awesome laptop for me.  I hope some one has some help for me.  ^_^

11 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/04 11:49:32 (permalink)
    Geforce Experience? I would uninstall that garbage, reboot, and then do a custom/advanced clean install of the video drivers with ONLY the video drivers and physx selected.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

fetterEsel
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 264
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/04 12:50:14 (permalink)
    The 7700hq cpu is gonna be eaten up by that game. I know because I use this laptop for that game. Use ddu and reinstall your drivers and don’t install that GeForce experience junkware either when you use ddu to wipe clean. I turned off turbo boost for my cpu to get lower temps as after gaming for a few hours my cpu would go high 80’s. With turbo boost off I see low 70’s after hours of gaming, and the 1060 6gb isn’t enough to bottleneck the cpu at 2.8ghz with turbo boost off. Make sure you have adaptive selected in nvidia control panel for your gpu power and high performance is selected in windows power settings.

Athena
    iCX Member
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/04 13:01:27 (permalink)
    I checked that when I got the lappy, it did not have any of the extra Nvidia stuff installed.  Not that that would cause such drastic frame rate drops, but I do like to run my kit clean.

You do know what the Geforce Experience does right?  All it does is suggest optimized game settings based on your kit vs the games needs and then you adjust from there.  No over head if you are thinking there might be.  Unless you have some inside scoop I do not know about.  Please let me know.  :)
    fetterEsel
    iCX Member
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/04 13:10:05 (permalink)
    Athena
    I checked that when I got the lappy, it did not have any of the extra Nvidia stuff installed.  Not that that would cause such drastic frame rate drops, but I do like to run my kit clean.

You do know what the Geforce Experience does right?  All it does is suggest optimized game settings based on your kit vs the games needs and then you adjust from there.  No over head if you are thinking there might be.  Unless you have some inside scoop I do not know about.  Please let me know.  :)

A quick google search can show you how broken geforce experience is and even the nvidia moderators on the nvidia forum recommend uninstalling geforce experience to remove headaches.  There is a reason its optional and not forced.  Make sure your on the latest nvidia driver and have it cleanly installed then go from there. Corrupt driver can cause bad FPS, and lockups. DDU and clean install.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/04 13:10:37 (permalink)
    Athena
    I checked that when I got the lappy, it did not have any of the extra Nvidia stuff installed.

GeForce Experience is the "extra stuff".

Not that that would cause such drastic frame rate drops, but I do like to run my kit clean.

Well, then you should probably uninstall GeForce Experience.

Yes, but that is not ALL that it does.  It also screws up your game settings instead of optimizing them.  Also, it checks for updates in the background, has telemetry monitoring your usage and sending information back to NVIDIA, and has game streaming stuff eating up your system's resources.

Why it's bad:
    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2153182
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/06/04 13:12:45

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Athena
    iCX Member
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/04 14:01:45 (permalink)
    Thanks good info.  Wow  O_o

I will clean that off tonight and give it another go.

I must have been getting lucky my laptop CPU never got over the mid 70s yet.

(thanks for the info guys I had been using the Experience on my desktops since they did that you want new drives you have to have this.  And it did improve my GTA performance greatly on both desktops with just one click.  But its not worth all this.  Cleaning it off all my PCs now after reading that stuff. 
    fetterEsel
    iCX Member
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/04 14:06:08 (permalink)
    Athena
    Thanks good info.  Wow  O_o

I will clean that off tonight and give it another go.

I must have been getting lucky my laptop CPU never got over the mid 70s yet.

(thanks for the info guys I had been using the Experience on my desktops since they did that you want new drives you have to have this.  And it did improve my GTA performance greatly on both desktops with just one click.  But its not worth all this.  Cleaning it off all my PCs now after reading that stuff. 

Well I game in a small room with the door closed, so the air from the A/C doesnt circulate properly, and when the laptop is hot for hours on end exhausting hot air it acts like a heater, making ambient temps hotter, resulting in hotter temps for the laptop itself.  So I end up with hotter temps in the end on my laptop.  Im considering making a custom setup with my own fans that force more intake air and help exhaust more air with a laptop stand.

EVGATech_AdamB
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1930
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/04 14:51:38 (permalink)
    If you haven't already, I'd also check to make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of the BIOS for the SC15. The Windows 10 Spring updates have had some odd issues and updating to the latest 1.06 BIOS tends to resolve it. You can find instructions on how to update the laptop's BIOS at the link here: http://www.evga.com/support/faq/?f=59717.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    vistarshook
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 344
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/05 05:26:10 (permalink)
    Also in Nvidia Control Panel make sure to select adaptive or high performance over the standarad optimal, which has shown issues in the past with FPS drops.

EVGA SC17 4K G-SYNC | i7-7820HK | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Samsung 960 Pro 2TB + 2TB Micron 1100| Firestrike | CB15@4.9GHz
    Razer Blade 14 FHD | i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Samsung SM961 1TB | Firestrike

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/05 11:02:54 (permalink)
    Sounds like a power delivery issue if you're not overheating. What do your cpu & gpu clocks look like before & after the drops occur?
    Athena
    iCX Member
    Re: SC15 big Frame rate issue 2018/06/05 12:36:04 (permalink)
    I got the Experience removed and wow it is night and day.  Was able to play for over an hour and a half with not an issue.
    CPU only hits around 70% usage and around low 70s temp.

I do have the most recent BIOS and all the most recent drivers.  The only thing that was holding me back it seems was the Geforce Experience.

Thank you so much for that awesome tip.  Nvidia sells it as nothing but help but like they said it is doing other junk behind the curtain.  People need to know.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile