EVGA

SC15 USB problem

Author
Mutaatti
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/08/22 10:39:43 (permalink)
Hey! Just bought my Evga SC15 laptop, tried to update BIOS, Nvidia drivers and PrecisionX Mobile. PrecisionX got messed up and wont save fan curve. Nice!

Another problem is, Im using USB powered cooling pad, and when I turn my laptop off, it won't turn USB off. So my cooling pad stays on. Any advice?

Oh, and please EVGA team, fix your damn PrecisionX program! Annoying as hell. Default curve is useless when you try to play games like Fortnite (on almost minimum settings?!?) And even idle temps are high.

Biggest disappointment ever this laptop. Oh, and I get massive FPS losts in games too. Maybe should return this back to shop and buy a real gaming laptop. Cheers!

7 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_AdamB
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1930
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: SC15 USB problem 2018/08/22 16:40:03 (permalink)
    Hello Mutaatti! The USB ports on the SC15 remain capable of delivering power to a connected device, even when the laptop is turned off. This was a design decision for the laptop and cannot be turned off. I apologize for any inconvenience. 

In regards to the Precision X issue, have you tried to uninstall Precision X, then delete the EVGA folder from C:\Programs Files (x86)\EVGA, restart then reinstall the program? What type of temperatures are you seeing? It is typical to see higher temperatures for a gaming laptop when compared to a desktop counterpart.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: SC15 USB problem 2018/08/22 18:14:57 (permalink)
    EVGATech_AdamB
    Hello Mutaatti! The USB ports on the SC15 remain capable of delivering power to a connected device, even when the laptop is turned off. This was a design decision for the laptop and cannot be turned off. I apologize for any inconvenience. 

And thus one reason the battery probably drains so fast while the laptop is turned off and not plugged in. Bad decision. Something is draining the battery when the laptop is off and unpluggled, and I suspect that a constantly operating buck converter is one of the parasitic loads.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: SC15 USB problem 2018/08/23 00:01:53 (permalink)

I noticed mine does drain fairly quickly when not turned on, or plugged in. So I can confirm that.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Mutaatti
    Re: SC15 USB problem 2018/08/23 03:09:19 (permalink)
    EVGATech_AdamB

In regards to the Precision X issue, have you tried to uninstall Precision X, then delete the EVGA folder from C:\Programs Files (x86)\EVGA, restart then reinstall the program? What type of temperatures are you seeing? It is typical to see higher temperatures for a gaming laptop when compared to a desktop counterpart.

Hello. Well, thats one bad decision for a design. 

My idle temps are CPU 45, GPU 50, And under a load (for 10-15 mins) Both jumps over 80.
    I got some help regarding to temp problem, because theres no way this laptop could run PUBG or similar for more than an hour straight without melting insides. 

I'm gonna give it a week, and if I can't fix it, it's going back. 

Ps. Yes, tried every solution internet got for PrecisionX problem, still doesn't work. Even tried to reset to factory settings my laptop. I guess it's BIOS problem, since it started after upgrading to 1.06 BIOS. And tried every version of PrecisionX mobile, none keeps those curves saved.
    Mutaatti
    Re: SC15 USB problem 2018/08/23 04:12:28 (permalink)
    Little update, the PrecisionX Mobile won't save those fan curves even for a second. Version 1.0.11

If I make my custom can curve, click apply, then go to normal mode, then back to custom mode, it throws fan curve to default back without even rebooting laptop.

Edit: version 1.08 works, still not saving curve tho. Where is it saved? In profile file, or cmos? Reseted cmos, got atleast keyboard rgb reseted. And other softwares cant use the fan sensors....
    post edited by Mutaatti - 2018/08/23 09:58:45
    Instig8
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: SC15 USB problem 2018/09/01 08:45:38 (permalink)
    I have a SC15 and the battery drains when shutdown and no its not in hibernate. Have heard it has to do with the USB always charging or perhaps wifi adapter activity in the background.  No options to tweak the bios.  Upgrade the bios for more options, developers.   Why do batteries on laptops drain when completely shutdown?  
    chuckbilly
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: SC15 USB problem 2019/04/14 19:24:24 (permalink)
    Bios update has been posted to turn off USB.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile