SATA Power on 8 pin - new cables from EVGA

Author
ypsylon
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 527
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2016/09/24 22:45:01 (permalink)
I wonder if EVGA will provide SATA power cables compatible with 8 pin VGA plugs on PSUs?

That's biggest problem with modern PSUs overall. They offer possibility of connecting like 10 VGAs at once, but also only 10-12 Molex/SATA devices. For now using some 8pin connectors to hook up fans via ModMyToys 8pin-3pin boards, but that's seems uber, vast overkill for the job. LOL 

Any chance EVGA will consider making cables for SATA power which can be hook up to 8 pin connectors? Kindly please. Sick and tired of running splitters on splitters on splitters. I can understand 10-12 devices on smaller 750W models, but 1200W P2? Give me a break, not everybody running folding farms and now, with Pascal, more than standard SLI is no longer an option which render most 8-pin connectors useless.

4 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: SATA Power on 8 pin - new cables from EVGA 2016/09/25 07:55:34 (permalink)
    How many SATA Connectors do you need on a Single Computer?
    If you are looking at building a NAS I would look elsewhere.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: SATA Power on 8 pin - new cables from EVGA 2016/09/25 11:07:38 (permalink)
    The pinout for peripherals is quite different from the pinout for PCI-E/VGA power. Unfortunately it would require a unit that is specifically designed with additional peripheral ports, the current layout would not be able to be mixed. (Please note that the picture is of a specific unit and does not represent all of our power supply units pin layouts)

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: SATA Power on 8 pin - new cables from EVGA 2016/09/26 05:06:34 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    How many SATA Connectors do you need on a Single Computer?
    If you are looking at building a NAS I would look elsewhere.

No I don't build NAS. Never used, never will. Only DAS if anything. I simply require more SATA/Molex power than VGA power and that's it. Going with dual PSU configuration is out of the question. Not everybody is running PC only to game and nothing more. I run one VGA anyway for as long as I remember. Currently have one RAID card with expander connected to it (that's 20 SAS ports), but with prospect of expanding pool setup I want to obtain another expander for additional 20 SAS ports. Already waiting on 5x6 bay backplanes for (potentially) 30x2.5" SSDs. Have now 2x8 bay models, but I have some 9.5mm SSDs which are incompatible with them, so I have to replace backplanes wholesale. Even considering that backplanes need only 2 power connectors, default cabling severely limiting connectivity - spacing is bad - and cables are too short for double wide case like TH10A.

@Tech_JosephL

Thanks for reply. I would love to see EVGA offer such cabling in the future. Even on a basis built-to-order. It would be great help.
    JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: SATA Power on 8 pin - new cables from EVGA 2016/09/27 07:14:13 (permalink)
    ypsylon

@Tech_JosephL

Thanks for reply. I would love to see EVGA offer such cabling in the future. Even on a basis built-to-order. It would be great help.

Although you are not able to use the PCI-E ports for peripherals, we can to put in a request for you to purchase modular cables individually. Contact support@evga.com if you would like to go with that option. If all your peripheral ports are used up then we currently do not have a solution for that.

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile