EVGA

LockedSATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Craized
  • Total Posts : 90
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 07:38:55 (permalink)
ebednar11

If this is all true, I will be requesting a refund today on my Classified 3. There is no denotation on EVGA's product info that states the Marvell controller works only in IDE. This is complete BS. Done with this company. Can't update RAID ROM, 580 multi monitor is borked, Marvell controller is defective. Just done.
Instead of addressing their issues, they release new hardware then market it's new features to sweep things under the rug. No thanks...Bye EVGA

Anyone interested in class action, PM me

Let us know how your refund goes, I am thinking about it as well.

Intel i7-950                                           |           Corsair Force 80GB SSD (boot)
EVGA E770 Classified3                          |           2x Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB HDDs in RAID 1 (storage)
2x Galaxy GTX 580s                              |           Corsair Obsidian 650D Case
Corsair AX1200 PSU                              |          3x Acer 23.6" 120hz LCD monitors for surround
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600       |          Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
ASUS Xonar ST
ebednar11
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 317
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 07:41:50 (permalink)
For those interested in the horse's mouth:
http://www.marvell.com/products/storage/storage_system_solutions/sata_controllers_pc_consumer/6_gbs_sata_raid_controller_88se91xx_product_brief.pdf

Marvell's pdf on this controller states AHCI support. Yet EVGA says no? Um, gotchya.

Cooler Master HAF X - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 1350w  - Silverstone CLEAR CMOS Switch
Gigabyte G1 Assassin - Intel i7 965 @ 4.0ghz
Corsair H70 w/ NB M12-Ps
6GB Corsair Dominator GT 8-9-8-24 2000mhz 
EVGA GTX 590 Quad SLI
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 (RAID 0) - OCZ Vertex 2 90GB x2 (RAID 0)
Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB x3 (RAID 0) 
Sony 3D Blu Ray Burner

EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 08:57:42 (permalink)
Topboy007

So maybe we could ask eVGA directly right now.

TO ALL EVGA STAFF READING THIS PLEASE REPLY - 

Question 1 - Are eVGA or Marvell aware of slow performance issues with the Marvell sata III controller when used in multiple SSD disk RAID solutions?

Question 2 - Many users are reporting performance issues as stated in Question 1. Can eVGA please post some technical details about what if anything is being done to resolve these issues?

Question 3 - Could eVGA confirm or deny that the Marvell sata III controller in question has a design flaw that is limiting performance as stated in question 1?

I do not think we can spell this out in english any easier WE WANT ANSWERS PLEASE.

I will send this post link to eVGA staff via private message stright away and lets see what if any reply we get. Going by the replies we have had in the bios 78 thread it will be "we are looking into this"

Hi,

We already looked into this a while ago with Marvell and determined that the limitation is a PCIE bandwidth interface limitation with using high speed SSD's in RAID0. This is not limited to EVGA. Also unfortunately there is no workaround, it is a chipset limitation.

perptt
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 152
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 09:12:39 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Hi,

We already looked into this a while ago with Marvell and determined that the limitation is a PCIE bandwidth interface limitation with using high speed SSD's in RAID0. This is not limited to EVGA. Also unfortunately there is no workaround.

Hi Jakob and thanks for your reply.

However, i find your reply a little vague to say the least.

Obviously, these limitations are not only in RAID-setups as my single drive is underperforming using the Marvell-controller. Also, it only works in IDE-mode and EVGA-Support claims AHCI is not supported by Marvell and a post above says that AHCI is supported, so what is going on???

What is EVGA's message to those who purchased one of your Mobo's with the Marvell-controller expecting full SATA 3/6 support?

Maximus VI Extreme| i7 4770K | H110 | 16Gb Vengeance PRO (2x8) | 2x eVGA GTX 980 Classified ACX2    
|AX860W|Intel 520 180 gb Raid0 [bootdrive]|Corsair 120gb SSD [Temp.files] & 300GB [Storage] 
|Carbide AIR 540|Soundblaster Z|Asus PG278 27" 2560x1440| Z9300| Win10 PRO x64 

ebednar11
iCX Member
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 09:25:03 (permalink)
The message is:

You are a sucker, you are SOL, and haha all your moneys are belong to us.

Done with this company.
If there is no workaround, I want a refund for my motherboard...like today.
BTW, what a TERRIBLE response from Jacob. We already looked into it? No workaround? Then MAKE IT RIGHT! My gosh...wish my small business could get away with these tactics.
post edited by ebednar11 - 2011/02/25 09:37:44

Corsair H70 w/ NB M12-Ps
EVGA GTX 590 Quad SLI
Sony 3D Blu Ray Burner

EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 10:20:16 (permalink)
perptt

EVGA_JacobF
Hi,

We already looked into this a while ago with Marvell and determined that the limitation is a PCIE bandwidth interface limitation with using high speed SSD's in RAID0. This is not limited to EVGA. Also unfortunately there is no workaround.

Hi Jakob and thanks for your reply.

However, i find your reply a little vague to say the least.

Obviously, these limitations are not only in RAID-setups as my single drive is underperforming using the Marvell-controller. Also, it only works in IDE-mode and EVGA-Support claims AHCI is not supported by Marvell and a post above says that AHCI is supported, so what is going on???

What is EVGA's message to those who purchased one of your Mobo's with the Marvell-controller expecting full SATA 3/6 support?

For this I would need some more details, I am not aware of any limitations on single drive setups, can you send me a PM with the drive you are using and the performance you are seeing.

Secondly, we are in the process of testing a new firmware version that may improve a bit of the performance, or hopefully also resolve the IDE bug.

Lastly I would like to mention that just like onboard graphics, onboard sound, etc. Sometimes unfortunately there are limitations when using onboard controllers, a dedicated card provides the full performance.

ebednar11
iCX Member
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 10:35:39 (permalink)
Just got off the phone with tech support. They told me there is no workaround and will not be one.
I was told to:
Flash to original Marvell firmware
Try different sata cable
Test drive in another machine
If all else fails, RMA board as controller might be bad

eBay here I come..

Corsair H70 w/ NB M12-Ps
EVGA GTX 590 Quad SLI
Sony 3D Blu Ray Burner

Topboy007
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 13:12:12 (permalink)
ebednar11

If this is all true, I will be requesting a refund today on my Classified 3. There is no denotation on EVGA's product info that states the Marvell controller works only in IDE. This is complete BS. Done with this company. Can't update RAID ROM, 580 multi monitor is borked, Marvell controller is defective. Just done.
Instead of addressing their issues, they release new hardware then market it's new features to sweep things under the rug. No thanks...Bye EVGA

Anyone interested in class action, PM me

I agree with you totally BUT I think our first port of call would be to submit a support ticket requesting a refund as the product is not fit for the purposes as advertised and sold to us.

This will be my course of action forthwith. If i get nowhere with this route I will indeed be talking to my lawyer to start proceedings with eVGA (I have done this before with other companies for the same reasons and been successful).

Intel Core i7 980x Cooled with Corsair H70
6Gb Corsair Dominator 2000Mhz GT DDR3
EVGA X58 Classified 3 E770 
3 EVGA GTX 580 SC in 3 way SLI
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair Obsidian 800D Case 
3 Acer GD245HQ 3D Vision Ready in 3 way surround with Nvidia 3D Vision
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 13:19:02 (permalink)
ebednar11

580 multi monitor issue is resolved in a different firmware version that is posted in various threads as a temporary workaround.

Topboy007
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 13:21:43 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF

Topboy007

So maybe we could ask eVGA directly right now.

TO ALL EVGA STAFF READING THIS PLEASE REPLY - 

Question 1 - Are eVGA or Marvell aware of slow performance issues with the Marvell sata III controller when used in multiple SSD disk RAID solutions?

Question 2 - Many users are reporting performance issues as stated in Question 1. Can eVGA please post some technical details about what if anything is being done to resolve these issues?

Question 3 - Could eVGA confirm or deny that the Marvell sata III controller in question has a design flaw that is limiting performance as stated in question 1?

I do not think we can spell this out in english any easier WE WANT ANSWERS PLEASE.

I will send this post link to eVGA staff via private message stright away and lets see what if any reply we get. Going by the replies we have had in the bios 78 thread it will be "we are looking into this"

Hi,

We already looked into this a while ago with Marvell and determined that the limitation is a PCIE bandwidth interface limitation with using high speed SSD's in RAID0. This is not limited to EVGA. Also unfortunately there is no workaround, it is a chipset limitation.

In that case i will be requesting a full refund for my E770 motherboard as nowhere in the documentation, website, or advertised media was there any notices about limitations with this controller and motherboard.

If these are known limitations then it should have been advertised for me to see as a potential buyer before i purchased this board. As far as I am aware to this date there are no notices on the products website or in the products documentation about "limitations under certain conditions when using the Marvell SATA III controller".

If these design flaws have only just come to light thru investigation then eVGA should be doing what Intel are doing with Sandy Bridge and either offer a full refund OR a replacement when the design flaw has been rectified.

Corsair AX1200 PSU
ebednar11
iCX Member
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 13:23:52 (permalink)
Goodluck topboy. I already called EVGA tech support. No refund. Submitted support ticket. No response. They told me to return to newegg. It's outside 30 days but called newegg anyhow. They told me to deal with EVGA. Not worth the attorney fees, my board is already out, photographed, and boxed. It's going up on eBay. I will never do business with this company again. Nor will my company, customers, or friends. Jacob only hinted at a FW to defuse this momentarily as they have a new x58 board up their sleeves. This thread is 5 months old. What a joke.

Corsair H70 w/ NB M12-Ps
EVGA GTX 590 Quad SLI
Sony 3D Blu Ray Burner

Topboy007
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 15:01:21 (permalink)
ebednar11

Goodluck topboy. I already called EVGA tech support. No refund. Submitted support ticket. No response. They told me to return to newegg. It's outside 30 days but called newegg anyhow. They told me to deal with EVGA. Not worth the attorney fees, my board is already out, photographed, and boxed. It's going up on eBay. I will never do business with this company again. Nor will my company, customers, or friends. Jacob only hinted at a FW to defuse this momentarily as they have a new x58 board up their sleeves. This thread is 5 months old. What a joke.

Have raised a support ticket about my motherboard which is already an RMA board and am on the phone to US Customer service right now.

If EVGA refund me i will use them again.

If they do not then i will be taking the same action as you ebednar11

EDIT.....

Well that was a very very nice experiance.

Matt in EVGA customer service has agreed to try and resolve my issue and will be talking to the UK offices on Monday to either get a refund OR if a NEW model board is available with the NEW revision Marvell controller.

Either way its good news and EVGA has just re-installed my confidence with them 
post edited by Topboy007 - 2011/02/25 15:30:28

Corsair AX1200 PSU
_MatthewH
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4236
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 16:07:20 (permalink)
Hello, I apologize for the confusion.  We are working with our UK office on a solution to assist you.

Thanks,
Matthew Hurwitz - Assistant Product Manager Matth@evga.com 
Feel free to contact us with any questions, comments or concerns: Toll Free 888-881-3842 
You can rate our service here: http://www.evga.com/myevga/rateus/

ebednar11
iCX Member
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/25 16:11:24 (permalink)
wish my experience went like that...funny how different they were...

if they do refund or replace your board that would be what's called a precedent, and evga will be obligated to do so for every other customer interested in a refund/replacement...
post edited by ebednar11 - 2011/02/25 17:03:55

Corsair H70 w/ NB M12-Ps
EVGA GTX 590 Quad SLI
Sony 3D Blu Ray Burner

m3thod
  • Total Posts : 79
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/26 07:14:51 (permalink)
Through my support case this is what Shannon's reply was. 

"We are aware of the Marvell controller mis reading in the firmware as AHCI not being an option.  Unfortunately we do not write the code for this controller or the software.  This is written by marvell directly and we are awaiting an update to correct how the current reporting state can be resolved."

I know I read on another forum that ASUS has the option in their BIOS and I brought that up but no dice.  It's so frustrating to buy a board specifically for SATA 6GB and also a drive to take advantage of it and not really get much out of it besides headache.  I hope they truley are working with Marvell and pushing them for a fix.

Danger Den LDR Tower 26
E770 Classified 3
Mushkin Blackline PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 (3x4GB)
980x
perptt
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 152
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/02/27 02:00:29 (permalink)
I am amazed and dissapointed by this whole experience.

Clearly there are problems and limitations to the Marvell SATA 3/6-controller spec'd on Evga-Mobo's, that's a fact and admitted by EVGA-staff in this post. There is no mentioning in the marketing, product spec or user manual that full SATA3/6 performance will not be achieved, neither in general or in RAID-setup using "high-performance SSD's". What a surprise, the SATA3/6 opens up for performance improvements over SATA2, again i am amazed that EVGA/Marvell did not expect that.

EVGA obviously is blaming all this on Marvell. i can understand that but again, i bought a EVGA-mobo and it is covered by EVGA-warranty.

i am quite confident that if Toyota (only as an expample as they have had their problems ^^) specified, marketed and sold a car with 150 HP but was only able to deliver 100 HP, they would have either made a recall or offered the consumer another product. Same thing if you buy a TV that was supposed to deliver full HD but only reached HD resolutio

But not EVGA or Marvell, no they tell you "we found limitations, sorry" and "This is not our mistake" and basically that's that, live with it.

I will give this a couple of more days and see what happens, next week at the most. If we still have no resolution i will file a complaint about this the consumer agency in my country and the ECC, European Consumer Centre. I have printed this forum-thread, the Spec-PDF of my board and the user manual to follow the complaint.   

Maximus VI Extreme| i7 4770K | H110 | 16Gb Vengeance PRO (2x8) | 2x eVGA GTX 980 Classified ACX2    
|AX860W|Intel 520 180 gb Raid0 [bootdrive]|Corsair 120gb SSD [Temp.files] & 300GB [Storage] 
|Carbide AIR 540|Soundblaster Z|Asus PG278 27" 2560x1440| Z9300| Win10 PRO x64 

EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
Re:SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released 2011/03/01 12:18:10 (permalink)
New version release:

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=883389

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile