Rocket League to remove online features from Linux and macOS versions

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/01/24 03:09:43 (permalink)
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/rocket-league-to-remove-online-features-from-linux-and-macos-versions/

Rocket League players on macOS and Linux are getting some bad news this week, as Psyonix is dropping online support for both platforms. The online-removing patch will arrive in March, at which point players will only have access to local multiplayer. 

According to an update to the Rocket League support site, Psyonix says it has become “more difficult to support macOS and Linux” as the studio looks to adapt to newer technologies. There will be one final patch for Rocket League on Linux and macOS in March, which will remove online matchmaking, private matches, tournaments, the Rocket Pass, the item shop, friends lists, clubs, the ‘news panel’, new Steam Workshop maps, leaderboards and a few other online-only features.

Linux and macOS versions of the game will still have access to local matches, split-screen gameplay, the garage/inventory, career stats, replays and any custom maps downloaded before the patch comes out. There are ways around this though. On Linux, users can try running the Windows version of Rocket League using Steam Proton or Wine. Meanwhile on Apple systems, you can create a Windows partition using Boot Camp and run Windows games from there. These aren’t great solutions to native online features, but it should get the job done.

Sad news in my opinion but at least local multi-player will work

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

1 Reply Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Rocket League to remove online features from Linux and macOS versions 2020/01/25 16:54:46 (permalink)
    interesting read

not the first time I've seen Wine recommended to run Win programs inside of linux

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile