Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102278
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/05/25 10:21:48 (permalink)
https://www.engadget.com/44-tbps-internet-connection-154034760.html

A joint team of researchers from Australia's Monash, Swinburne and RMIT universities have developed a new interpretation of the current fiber optic infrastructure - one that managed to deliver a 44.2 Tbps throughput via existing optical lines. The achievement, which delivers speeds in excess of 1 million times greater than the average home users' internet speed (50.2 megabits per second for the US), paves the way for upgrades on the existing fiber optic network that hugely decrease costs compared to the need to implement a wholly new infrastructure.

The feat was achieved using a microcomb - a device which is able to replace a number of the currently in-use lasers for the transmission of information. A microcomb is an optical device that generates very sharp and equidistant frequency lines in a tiny microphotonic chip, and it allows researchers to make use of not only the presence of light - as it's done with the usual lasers found in optical equipment - but the lack of light as well, in what researchers call "dark" pulses of light. While nowadays no user would ever need transmission speeds in the order of the 44.2 Tbps achieved by the researchers, advancement in processing, communication technologies, and supercomputing will eventually make use of these - and even higher - throughputs, which is why it's so important that this technology has been developed on top of existing infrastructure.

So it is possible to continue to extend bandwidth of existing fiber optics. A fantastic achievement. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

2 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Researchers Deliver 44.2 Tbps Speeds on Existing Fiber Optic Infrastructure 2020/05/25 11:00:43 (permalink)
    Nice bump in speed

the installation cost barrier needs to be Solved - for Fiber to be readily available - to the Masses in the US

5G may make fiber impractical the last mile of service --> however a faster backbone will help 5G & whatever comes after that

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Researchers Deliver 44.2 Tbps Speeds on Existing Fiber Optic Infrastructure 2020/05/25 18:13:13 (permalink)
    I have followed this for a long time, the advances will allow faster internet backend services to be so fast as to be as good as across the street

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile