EVGA

Red Hawk (updated 5-2-17 added hard lines and 1080Ti)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
zophar
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5183
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 26
2013/06/03 17:32:48 (permalink)
This is a cleaned up re-post of a project that I started back in December. Quite a few things have changed since then so I thought it best to start over. Here is the original log if your interested.

This build started out as a replacement for my SR-2 build that I parted out last year. During the part out I traded some of the parts for a Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra. The Blackhawk Ultra shares the basic chassis design with the Xigmatek Elysium, and the Enermax Fulmo GT. First off this case is HUGE. Room for 4 5.25" devices, and 10 yes 10 3.5" hard drives. It also has support for up to a 360mm or 420mm radiator in the top out of the box. Which is really nice IMO. Well lets get to it.

Current hardware list (subject to change):
Motherboard: EVGA P67 FTW
CPU: Intel 2600K
GPU's: Undecided (originally was going to go with 660TI's)
Memory: Undecided
PSU: EVGA NEX 1000W platinum or not yet released 1300W
GPU blocks: Alphacool
CPU Block: Alphacool NexXxoS XP3
Radiators: Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 420mm, and Monsta 280mm
Reservoir: Alphacool RePack quad DDC dual 5.25" bay res
Pumps: Koolance PMP 400
Fans: Rosewill Hyperborea 140mm (highest static pressure 140mm fan I could find)
Cable Extensions: Made by a good friend {uZa}DOA in black widow para-chord

I'll start with the original pics and then move into the current state.

Stock boring case:

All in all not a horrible case. Just too boring for me. For size reference, this is my 1 1/2 year old and 5 year old modeling the case:

A shot of the inside holding the E-ATX P67 FTW motherboard.

I honestly think that my kids could curl up inside this thing. But I don't think that the inside is "open" enough. So I set out to removed some excess metal. The hardrive bays are ugly and a little overkill for me. I'm not going to be running a server in this chassis so out they come:

It was about 16 rivets in total and a couple were a pain to get out because of where they put them. But the final result is a wide open space:

Now I know my kids could fit in there. I then set out to figure out what options I had for radiators. Once it's all done There will be enough hardware in here to heat a small house. I already knew that a 420 was the max in the top due to the top panel and the way it fits together. And in stock form a single 140mm could fit on the bottom and the back. And I also knew that there was no way I was running any radiators outside the case. So I did a just for fun test fit and found if I really wanted I could have fit a 560mm rad in the bottom as long as the bottom tank was short:

The down side to that was the PSU would go on the top and that would knock me down to a max 140mm rad up there. So a 420mm was going in the top. Then because I removed the front drive cages that opened my up to two 140mm fans. Knowing that I wanted maximum cooling but I was trying to stay close to the depth of the 5.25" drive bays I decided to stack two of the Alphacool XT45 280mm rads. And yes I know that it isn't the most efficient setup, but it let me fit the most rad surface area in the space that I wanted. Here is the pic of the setup:

Here is the setup with a 140mm fan on it:

And here it is installed in the case:

Plenty of room top and bottom. There was going to be a couple of drain ports drilled into the bottom but since I did this Alphacool released the Monsta radiators. Now I'm pretty sure I'll sell these and switch it over to a single Monsta 280mm radiator to cut down on one set of fans and also cut down on a little bit of plumbing. I also got the top 420mm radiator and decided I was going to do a push pull configuration with the fans. But since I went with the 60mm thick UT60 radiator space between the radiator and the fans inside the case was at a premium. See here:

So whats a guy to do? well lets put the pull fans on the outside of the case:

Problem solved... Or is it?

Well that won't work. There are a set of supports for the top panel right where the fans go. So out come my trusty cutters and bam:

We have fan clearance:

And there is still plenty of room in the 5.25" bays for a fan controller of another small bay device. But not so much on the back of the case.

Well now I just need to install hardware right? Well originally that was the plan. Do a couple of quick and simple "Mods" if you will and be done with it. Then I found a nice little website called The Mod Zoo. Thanks mostly in part to a guy that some of you may have heard of. His name is "Overkill" Bill Owen. The awesome mad genius from MNPCTECH. While I still haven't found a way to incorporate any of his products into this build I'm looking constantly for an oppourtunity to do so. I started following Bill on the Frozen CPU build, and Andrews Cosmos II build. After chatting a couple times I checked out The Mod Zoo and also bought some awesome MNPCTECH parts for my ITX build that I did a little while back. So thanks Bill, your the best.

So back to the build and where I'm at now. I decided that the side panel was a little boring. All it was, was a plain panel with a mesh grille capable of supporting 9 120mm fans. I'm not sure who in the world would actually use 9 fans on the side panel but what ever. Maybe someone like the sound of a jet engine, IDK. So the stock panel which looked like this:

Became this:

Now I have to give props to Performance-PC's here. I will admit that I was too chicken to do the side window. I didn't want to mess it up and then be out of a case because the side panel was destroyed. And I will also let you know that I decided to put the logos of a couple of manufactures and PPC's on it because they have all done right by me. PPC's has always had excellent communications and customer service for me be it a question on a part or a problem with an order. The same goes with EVGA and Alphacool.  So if the person who did the side panel ever visits this forum and see this picture and says "hey that looks familiar". I owe you a great big thank you, and a sorry if I was a PITA.

Well again I thought I was done. But after doing my ITX build and seeing some of the awesome Mod Zoo builds I thought well heck, this case is a bit boring being all black. Maybe we should add some color. And yes before anyone says it I realize I was too chicken to do the side window and now I'm talking about paint, lol. Since the board is the standard EVGA black and red I decided that a red and black case would be the ticket. So I broke down the entire case. I didn't take any pics but after drilling that many rivets and pretting surfaces for paint I wasn't really up to it. But here are the pics.

Here's the top 420mm rad a little after painting:

And yes the Jeep is off camber for those that asked the other day. The radiator covers the 1 1/2 foot drop from a pile of gravel. The red ended up being a dull semi-gloss red. I didn't want a high gloss clear. I was really shooting for a very matte finish but I actually ended with the semi-gloss and I really like it. Here's the fan controller all done:

And the top and front panels:

After snapping those back together really quick I set out to the fun task of reassembling and riveting the case. I have to say thanks to Mr. Bill Owen again here. I couldn't find any countersunk rivets for the corner reinforcements. I asked at a couple places and the people looked at me like I was a crazy person. So when bill say in the Zoo chat that I couldn't find any we messaged back and forth a couple times I ended up getting some from him. So thanks again Bill. You really are one of the best people I've met on the internet.

And here is the big reveal of the case. Some of the colors look a little off due to the lighting. We had bad lighting conditions yesterday with partly cloudy off and on bright/low sunlight changing literally constantly. But so far I love it.

(Not sure why they thought someone needed 7 water cooling cutouts)

And my favorite view after the paint job:

And a quick inside shot:

When I get the front radiator situation figured out I'll get it painted to match as well. The it'll be black tubing and black fittings. Also working on some LED motherboard back lighting, and some LED side panel lighting that will go around the window  on the side panel to illuminate the internals. I think I'm done for the most part with the case modding/building. I know it's not as insane as some of the builds here. But it's something that I'm proud of and really like. Hopefully I can afford the rest of the parts I need to finish it off soon. But with the way things work for me we'll be looking at Nvidia 800 series before I get that far lol.

Thanks for looking and please feel free to leave comments or suggestions on what you see.

post edited by zophar - 2017/05/02 18:27:23

69 Replies Related Threads

chump7431
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3143
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/03 17:35:05 (permalink)
    very nice so far!!! Cant wait to see more

Build log +1
    EVGA X79 DARK, 2 EVGA 780 Classified's, I7 4930K, Custom EK H2O, 16G 2133 GSkill Ram, Corsair AX1200, 900DubsD, Logitech G700-19-35 
    Chaos_21
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4524
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/03 18:29:28 (permalink)
    Very nice work!

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Intel Core i9-12900K- EVGA 360 CLC Cooler-Corsair Vengeance 4 x 16GB 3200mhz-2TB  Solidigm P41 Plus M.2 SSD--Three 1TB 970 EVO SSD's-EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA-Corsair HX1000i-Windows 11 64bit-Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Case.      
     Steam     Twitter: https://twitter.com/Chaos_21
     Use my associate code: JBGVM12HDYDJPIM to get 5%-10% discount on EVGA purchases.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/03 19:53:52 (permalink)

Looking great.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/03 23:37:17 (permalink)
    That is one cool mod and some great work.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

gamecrazeddork
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 375
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/04 00:54:02 (permalink)
    looking good :)

Sleinous
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 7663
    • Ribbons : 32
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/04 02:39:32 (permalink)
    Looking stylish!
    zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/04 05:17:34 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone. Hoping to get some of the hardware for it sooner than later. But it's definitely looking like later unless someone wants to show me some love .

boballee
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1455
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/04 17:35:25 (permalink)
    Awesome job!  I really like the way it is turning out.  You and I are about 180 - I'm not afraid to cut up some metal - but am terrified about painting my case.  One of these days. 

Can't wait to see it all finished!! 

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/05 05:45:47 (permalink)
    boballee
    Awesome job!  I really like the way it is turning out.  You and I are about 180 - I'm not afraid to cut up some metal - but am terrified about painting my case.  One of these days. 

Can't wait to see it all finished!! 

Lol, the weird thing is I'm not afraid to do it for the most part. I cut a huge hole in my 800D to put a 480 rad in the top. but I couldn't bring myself to to the window in the side panel.

boballee
    FTW Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/05 05:54:28 (permalink)
    I did something similar to my 700D.  I ended up cutting out two 120 slots and a window in the side panel.  The fan holes weren't bad since I just used a hole bit - took some practice on the first one, but the second one was like butter.  I took my time on the window.  Putting in the U-Channel really helped to hide some of the 'minor' imperfections in the cut lines. 

You cut a window and I'll paint one of my rigs! 

Attached Image(s)

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/05 08:14:42 (permalink)
    boballee

I did something similar to my 700D.  I ended up cutting out two 120 slots and a window in the side panel.  The fan holes weren't bad since I just used a hole bit - took some practice on the first one, but the second one was like butter.  I took my time on the window.  Putting in the U-Channel really helped to hide some of the 'minor' imperfections in the cut lines. 

You cut a window and I'll paint one of my rigs! 

Done, lol. Paint isn't that bad. The fun part is all of the rivets.

Gone Cruising
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1711
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/06 00:29:06 (permalink)
    Nice work done!!!! Man, I can't still believe all that space you have in that case. I want one to play with!!!! Can't wait to see the final results!!!

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
    Intel Core I9-9900K
    Corsair 32gb DDR4
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    EVGA 850W Gold
    2 x 1TB Samsung SSD
    2 x 3TB HD's in Raid 1
    Kustom Case

https://www.heatware.com/u/67033/to

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/06 11:16:11 (permalink)
    Gone Cruising
    Nice work done!!!! Man, I can't still believe all that space you have in that case. I want one to play with!!!! Can't wait to see the final results!!!

Thanks GC. There is definitely a LOT of room in there. It makes for easier cooling of things. I can't wait either. BTW, email coming your way at some point today.

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/09 21:21:16 (permalink)
    A literal WoW, as I seen the result of the paint. Very nice work man!
    Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3939
    • Ribbons : 62
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/10 07:11:48 (permalink)
    Nice paint job buddy!
    That EVGA Red really blends in well with the other black parts of the case, keep us posted mate!

rsabatino
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1169
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/10 09:27:00 (permalink)
    that stuff is awesome I like the big case. awesome.

Operation System   Microsoft Windows 11 Pro    Processor   AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor    Memory   24.2 GB Free (31.9 GB Total)    Graphics Card   NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti (8.0 GB)    Monitor   HP 32 Display (1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz)    Disk Storage   5240.5 GB Free of 6542.2 GB    Audio   NVIDIA High Definition Audio    Motherboard   ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. (ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI))    Mouse   Razer BlackWidow V3 Tenkeyless    Keyboard   Razer Viper

nomadnomad7
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 444
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/10 23:30:56 (permalink)
    looking good zophar!

| ASUS ROG VI | i9-7940 | Caselabs M10 | 64gb Corsair Dom Platinum 3333 | Intel 750 | SLI GTX-1080ti | EVGA 1600 T2 |

| Z9PE-D8 WS | 2x E5-2660 || ASUS MIVE-Z | 2600k |
    HEATWARE

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/11 10:41:55 (permalink)
    Thanks everybody. Trying to come up with a little extra cash to pick up some more parts.

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/19 18:44:56 (permalink)
    Got a small amount done tonight. The wife and kids are gone to family reunion (someone has to stay and make money). So I took advantage of my evening. I went ahead and made my LED back lighting strip for the motherboard. These are just red SMD 3528 2 pin LED lights with adhesive backing. I went with them because of their low overall height to ensure no contact with the motherboard.

Close up of the Corner, I know it's not the prettiest but it'll work. Also I know there is no shrink tubing on there right now. I forgot to bring some home. I'll get that done tomorrow night.

Here's a shot of the overall strip. I goofed on the bottom strip. When I was fitting everything I had them on the inside of the leading edge of the standoffs. I forgot that the EVGA P67 FTW was and EATX board that hangs over the edge of the standoffs. I may just leave it alone, but I'm not sure. It's an easy fix if I do mess with it.

All lit up with no board installed

Side shot with the board installed

And a shot of the board sitting in the case with the lights out

I may mess with the bottom row to make them stand out a little more. And I know this isn't super bright. That wasn't the point. My point was to give a little bit of light in the case during the night hours so that you aren't blinded by the white LED's that I'm putting on the inside of the side window. I may add some more of the red lighting into some of the corners of the case before I'm done because I still have around 7 feet of LED's left.

As always thanks for looking and let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions.

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/20 09:10:46 (permalink)
    Well I decided to look into my options and decided to change to these for my red back light. They should be a LOT  brighter that the others. And on the plus side they are located on the other side of the state from me. So hopefully I'll have them when I get home Saturday.

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/21 05:55:25 (permalink)
    Got the side panel lighting. I really like how it turned out. Now I'm really excited to get my new red LED's for the motherboard backlight. Anyway here are the pics.

LED's installed on the panel:

Turned on:

Installed with the lights in the room on:

And lights off:

boballee
    FTW Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/21 07:08:02 (permalink)
    That's really cool.  I like those light strips.  Right now I just have a light bar - but keep having trouble with the weight of it pulling it off the Velcro. 

I'm looking forward to seeing everything together - gonna look sick! 

Great job.

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/21 07:52:09 (permalink)
    Hey boballee these are the LED strips I got http://www.ebay.com/itm/F...mp;hash=item35b84b9e84

They work great for applications like the side panel. But they weren't bright enough for the back lighting under the motherboard. They couldn't overcome the small gap and two black surfaces they had to reflect on. Part of that is they only had a 130 degree view angle. The new ones I got for that are 180 degree angle.

nmalik3000
    • Total Posts : 51
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/21 08:31:24 (permalink)
    Nice build!
    zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/24 18:46:35 (permalink)
    Well I got my new SMD 5050 red LED strips last weekend. I got them wired up just gotta shrink wrap the corners and ends so they don't short against the board. The 5050's are basically 3 to 4 times brighter than the 3528's and I'll show you the difference.

SMD 3528- Has a single LED per bulb

SMD 5050- Has 3 LED's per bulb

Even at 9v the 5050's are pretty blinding

Here's the before and after of the backlight behind the board:
    Before with 3528's

After with the 5050's:

A little side view of the board:

And all lit up with the side panel and board back lighting on:

All in all I didn't mind the 3528's red's behind the board. But I'm a bit happier with the 5050's. Also the lighting on the side panel is still 3528 white. I think that the 5050's in white would have been overpowering in the end. I love the overall effect now. At some point here in the near future I'm going to wire in a 3 way switch in the bottom corner of the case by the PSU to control the lights. I'm going to do it Red-Both-White so that I can do whatever effect I want. But that will have to wait until I can pick up a switch and a couple diodes. Until next time, thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

Thanks

AzN-SoLjA
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7982
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/24 21:06:33 (permalink)
    You can find a whole roll of those on amazon going real cheap too.
    Great work on your custom build so far!

| EVGA Z68 FTW | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC 3GB | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 | Custom EK Water Loop | Red Harbinger Cross Desk
    | i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.24v | Corsair 16GB Vengeance | Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD | Corsair AX850 | Lamptron FC5V3 | ASUS VE278 27" |
    | Creative Inspire T6160 5.1 & X-Fi Fatal1ty 7.1 Champ | Razer Marauder & Spectre & Tiamat 7.1 | Affiliate Code: 3MHCIBME48 | Associate Code: 08HWLPJXE0O5MPM

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/06/25 06:34:31 (permalink)
    AzN-SoLjA

You can find a whole roll of those on amazon going real cheap too.
    Great work on your custom build so far!

Thanks!

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/07/12 07:25:30 (permalink)
    Well, haven't had much time to do anything lately. But I did get my new faceplate for my reservoir. I had a great guy by the name of Kirk Carpenter (A.K.A. Gone Crusin) do it. Here is some of his other work http://lazerwerx.com/services.html. He's had several cases featured in CPU magazine.

Here is the old faceplate:

Let me start by saying that I like the Alphacool products I've gotten. But their finish quality leaves a little to be desired. The radiators had some runs in the paint, and a couple corners that weren't completely covered. And the reservoirs faceplate had the emblem sticker half peeled off, and the black is painted on and some of it had flaked off when I received it. So that's why I decided just to do a new faceplate. So I'd buy from Alphacool again, but hopefully they will get things straightened out on quality control.

And here's the new faceplate:

It's a lot nicer piece and I think it looks a lot better. Haven't gotten to install it yet, but I'm not worried about it. Hopefully I can get some time this weekend to get the other two radiators installed, and get the holes drilled for the motherboard LED's and the radiator drains.

Thanks for looking.

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re:Red Hawk 2013/07/12 07:36:32 (permalink)
    Really nice job.......

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile