Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra

Author
Alphacentor
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/06/14 02:42:30 (permalink)
Hello everybody,
For some time now I have noticed a slight increase of temperature on my RTX2070 XC ultra (buy early 2019, always in guarantee).

I'm approaching a pretty hot period in my country and it will be complicated to play if the trend continues (my game room will go from 24 to 30 °C)
  • Before (2019-2020) I had : arround 38°C IDLE, arround 68°C - 75°C in game.
  • Actually (since three mounth and before the "hot" periode) : arround 42° IDLE, arround 70°C - 80° C in game.
I noticed this on this actual following games (which have evolved and become a little more "greedy"):
  • No man's sky (last Updated)
  • Crusader kings 3 (probably not yet perfectly optimized)
  • Elite dangerous Odyssey (really not yet optimized !)
the annoying point of reaching these "80°C" is the ventilation is activated fully (100%) and it is extremely noisy for a short period (one to two minutes). So I wonder where this increase in temperature can come from ? I realized all the usual solutions:
  •  Cleaning of dust in the machine
  • Case setup ventilation control (nothing to report, a fan was changed 6 months ago, RPM of all are normal and voltage too)
  • Updated driver / software (+ Windows etc ...)
After that I made a lot of observation and tests, problem seems to be related to the solicitation of the card itself. For example I pushed the ventilation of the box to 100%, result I obtained a cold configuration (but very noisy of course) in game the motherboard/CPU/SSD lost arround 5 or 10°C but not for Graphics cards, still ends going to 80°C (??) but after a more longer game time.

When I stop the game, the graphics card temperature come down quickly (a few minutes to find an IDLE temperature).

So... What conclusion to draw from this? Does the graphics card seem to dissipate its temperature badly (Heatsink or thermal paste problem?) On the ventilation side, they seem to be running very well. Or is there a bad setting somewhere? To be honnest I have always enormous difficulties with the X1 precision settings, some would have precision X1 profiles for me to test for these games ?

Thank you very much for your advice...

16 Replies Related Threads

Smithship
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/14 04:09:26 (permalink)
    Personally, if I noticed a big change in operation - even if it happened of a month or more - I would try to investigate by disassembly and inspection. The problem is you risk breaking something and potential cost to reapply paste, etc. In any case, you will learn something about your hardware performance limits.
    You seem to have great records of performance which should help you make the call. Good luck.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/14 04:28:45 (permalink)
    Replace the thermal paste. It is normal for the thermal paste to pump-out and create voids after enough thermal cycles, and require being replaced.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Alphacentor
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/14 04:51:25 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot for your answers. For the inspection, yes, I disassembled and inspected different parts of the computer (at least for cleaning and also to check that the graphics card was well connected). Yes you are right, everything made me think of thermal paste, approximately 5°C is a possible range for a problem of this type? On the other hand... The card is still under warranty until January 2022 I do not think I can change the thermal paste now if I want keep waranty .

As for the adjustment of the temperature curves on X1 precision, I cannot assess which are the most interesting profiles... Do we agree that 80 ° C is a bit hot? But no risk of damage below 95 ° C? Do you have any good post/articles on this subject to try to learn more?
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/14 07:06:33 (permalink)
    You won't void your warranty by reapplying the thermal paste as long as you don't physically damage the card.

Alphacentor
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/14 07:23:35 (permalink)
    bdary
    You won't void your warranty by reapplying the thermal paste as long as you don't physically damage the card.

I believe this is true in the USA but not in France 
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/14 07:30:30 (permalink)
    Alphacentor
    bdary

Ok.  My advice would be to contact EVGA directly in your area to verify that.  Redoing the thermal paste could solve your temp issue.

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Alphacentor
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/15 06:18:00 (permalink)
    bdary
    Alphacentor
    bdary

Ok.  My advice would be to contact EVGA directly in your area to verify that.  Redoing the thermal paste could solve your temp issue.

Ok I did that. I'll keep you posted, maybe it will help others :)!
    Alphacentor
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/15 06:50:48 (permalink)
    This is the first time that I have received such a quick and clear response from customer service...

evgaThe temps seem to be fine on the GPU. However, you can of course try and change the thermal pads.
    This will not void your warranty !
    As a side note, there are a few things that can void our warranties, few examples are, removed serial or manufacturers stickers, liquid damage or physical damage.
    The sticker on one of the screws in the back is not a warranty sticker so its safe to remove to apply the thermal paste.

if my temperatures are good despite the increase then I come back to my astonishment that at 80°C the graphics card goes to 100% ventilation (with a sound similar to an airplane turbine). I will have to do some tests with horrible X1 precision curves

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/15 07:09:54 (permalink)
    That was great that EVGA got back to you so quick, and with confirmation you can apply new thermal paste and/or pads.  I agree that 80C is "ok" for your GPU to be running at, but if it never was before and the temp has been creeping up, it's worth redoing the paste.

If you're now playing a more graphically demanding game than before causing the GPU to run harder, then the 80C temp could be normal for that game(s).
    As far as fan curves, I would set up a custom fan curve.  You can tweak that how you want.  That should also help with temps.

Alphacentor
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/15 07:29:29 (permalink)
    thanks again for your reply :)! For curves... Yes but I must not be good at this point, I have already tried to "play" with these curves but I never really know what to think of the results... The goal is obviously to have a good temperature for a noise "reduced" I supposed...

These curves have helped me in the case of "old" games which run at a very low level and on the temperature at which the fans started up (passive / active / passive... -1 ° C, + 1 ° C etc etc, Sound bzzz bzzz bzzz)

This time it is a "high" temperature, what do you recommend as a strategy? Push 100% usage FANs from 80° to 85 ° first? And put a level of how much at 80 °? 80% fans for example?

Or ... "Attack" harder lower, eg increase ventilation by 20 or 30% at lower temperatures (50=>70°) ?
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/15 07:42:41 (permalink)
    You're welcome.  Here's what I use for my fan curve.  Once I got it dialed in, I leave it there no matter the game.

Attached Image(s)

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/15 07:45:38 (permalink)
    It will take some trial & error to get it just how you want it.  Noise versus cooling to your liking.

Alphacentor
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/17 00:28:10 (permalink)
    Ok I think I maked an interesting curve for my games, it me gain some degrees :) !

I think indeed that it is the last updates of some of my favorite games (especially elite dangerous!) which are not very well optimized ... 100% of use GPU on simple menus, no wonder that the card rises in temperature !! In the meantime this allowed me to learn things and to make better settings of my machine.

One last request, do you know if it is possible to set a default profile to X1 precision when starting the computer? Because it keeps in mind the last used.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/17 07:06:27 (permalink)
    Sounds good...  You can set PX1 to load at Windows startup.  If I recall correctly there is a box to tick for that.  I use MSI AB so it's been a long time since I looked at PX1.  I don't remember exactly the steps to get to that setting.

Another good way to control the GPU temp is by limiting the frames.  Check post #3 out here ->  https://forums.evga.com/SuggestionsAdvice-m3311760.aspx#

Alphacentor
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/19 06:45:05 (permalink)
    Ok I think all this gave me a solution for the Elite dangerous Odyssey game.

I have a 140HZ screen but limiting the framerate did not change the problem. I used the target function of X1 precision and I asked the GPU not to exceed 79°.

This "underclokes" the card at this temperature and this solves my problem of fans getting carried away in certain parts of the game. In game no difference (but more silence!) it's a very strange solution but I think that it gets around a big optimization problem that many go back to the creator of the game.

My other games (with no limitation of temp) came back to incredible temperatures with only the new temperature curve (it run at 68 ° on Crusader King 3 for example without annoying noises !) it's been a little less hot these days but I'm ready for heatwaves :). I'm finally not going to touch the thermal paste for the moment.

Thank you for everything !
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Recent temperature rise on RTX2070 XC Ultra 2021/06/19 08:07:21 (permalink)
    You're welcome and good to hear you got things running better/cooler now...

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile