EVGA

RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Wallzii
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 11:54:43 (permalink)
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Turn off FPS caps (NVCP, AB, and PX1). 

Turn off Vsync (NVCP and in gams)

Turn off Gsync.

Test again.

I said in my first post that all of these options are disabled.

Change the windows power plan to "High Performance"

I've done that, zero difference.

New windows install, try a new computer. Try a computer repair shop.

I'd never bring my computer to a repair shop, especially since there is nothing wrong with any of my components, aside from possibly the GPU underperforming in some games. CPU benchmarks are where they should be, as well as with all my storage devices, and RAM overclock does not produce errors.

As I said, this looks increasingly like a CPU bottleneck, even though the 3600 is never running at maximum load on a single thread or across multiple threads. In Jedi: Fallen Order, there are three threads running at +70% utilization; maybe that means it is bottlenecking in this game and I am misunderstanding by thinking that a bottleneck would require at least a single thread to be closer to 100%. That said, I'm still hopeful that there might be a different reason for poor performance in Jedi: Fallen Order in some areas. As I've said, Kashyyk is the worst offender, and I'm seeing 120FPS in other areas at 1440p, but it is never consistent.

EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Ryzen 5 3600 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz
Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD | 2x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD
Corsair RM750x | Dark Rock Pro 4 | Meshify C
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 11:55:52 (permalink)
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo

Turn off Gsync.

Test again.

I'd never bring my computer to a repair shop, especially since there is nothing wrong with any of my components, aside from possibly the GPU underperforming in some games. CPU benchmarks are where they should be, as well as with all my storage devices, and RAM overclock does not produce errors.

As I said, this looks increasingly like a CPU bottleneck, even though the 3600 is never running at maximum load on a single thread or across multiple threads. In Jedi: Fallen Order, there are three threads running at +70% utilization; maybe that means it is bottlenecking in this game and I am misunderstanding by thinking that a bottleneck would require at least a single thread to be closer to 100%. That said, I'm still hopeful that there might be a different reason for poor performance in Jedi: Fallen Order in some areas. As I've said, Kashyyk is the worst offender, and I'm seeing 120FPS in other areas at 1440p, but it is never consistent.

Then RMA like I said since you are unwilling.

If the problem continues, it is likely the computer.
KeiroMidori
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 11:56:55 (permalink)
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo

Turn off Gsync.

Test again.

I have seen multiple benchmarks with a 2700x and a 2070 or 2080 at 1440p and it gets better performances with GPU usage at 95%. I have high doubts on a CPU bottleneck
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 11:57:08 (permalink)
If you suspect a CPU bottleneck, testing this card in a different computer with a faster processor could tell you that.

Or you could overclock the CPU, and look at a game where you can take measurements in the same spot and compare.
KeiroMidori
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 11:57:55 (permalink)
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo

Turn off Gsync.

Test again.

If it was the computer why would other games be fine? You'd see this in every game if the root cause was the computer itself wouldn't you?
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 11:58:30 (permalink)
KeiroMidori
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo

Turn off Gsync.

Test again.

If it was the computer why would other games be fine? You'd see this in every game if the root cause was the computer itself wouldn't you?

No.

Why?

My computer is an absolute unit. Beefy as heck. It still chugs and has <50% GPU utilization at 4K in a game like Crysis remastered. Because it's a badly optimised game.
KeiroMidori
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 11:59:20 (permalink)
arestavo
KeiroMidori
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo

Turn off Gsync.

Test again.

No.

Right, what's your reasoning besides "no"?
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:00:01 (permalink)
See above.

Regardless, my advice has been given. Others can give theirs as well.

Take it or leave it.
Wallzii
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:01:36 (permalink)
KeiroMidori
I have seen multiple benchmarks with a 2700x and a 2070 or 2080 at 1440p and it gets better performances with GPU usage at 95%. I have high doubts on a CPU bottleneck

Do you have sources for these benchmarks as well?

KeiroMidori
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:03:27 (permalink)
arestavo
See above.

So basically we need to pressurize editors to push updates of their games. But what makes me really skeptical with this is that other users with somewhat similar configs don't get a GPU usage limited to 50%. I'm wondering what could possibly be different besides the game being badly optimized which would affect 100% of users (and does in a way). How can we explain a 95% usage in benchmarks all over youtube?
KeiroMidori
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:05:10 (permalink)
Wallzii
KeiroMidori

Sure this one for example: watch?v=CY4QVONS3eE&ab_channel=HardCoreGamingX 
97% usage, it's not the same GPU though. 
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:06:23 (permalink)
KeiroMidori
arestavo
See above.

So basically we need to pressurize editors to push updates of their games. But what makes me really skeptical with this is that other users with somewhat similar configs don't get a GPU usage limited to 50%. I'm wondering what could possibly be different besides the game being badly optimized which would affect 100% of users (and does in a way). How can we explain a 95% usage in benchmarks all over youtube?

Couple of things come to mind immediately:

Windows. Sometimes windows gets borked and needs to be reinstalled.

GeForce Experience. This cancer has in the past, and there's no reason to suspect it won't in the future, completely bork games and cause them to run horribly. I ran into this one before I swore it off. I had to google and find the game settings .ini file and delete them for many games to fix Nvidia's mess up with their "optimize game" function.
KeiroMidori
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:08:22 (permalink)
arestavo
KeiroMidori
arestavo
See above.

Couple of things come to mind immediately:

Windows. Sometimes windows gets borked and needs to be reinstalled.

GeForce Experience. This cancer has in the past, and there's no reason to suspect it won't in the future, completely bork games and cause them to run horribly. I ran into this one before I swore it off. I had to google and find the game settings .ini file and delete them for many games to fix Nvidia's mess up with their "optimise game" function.

That is very much possible too. Will try that too. To me it seems that no matter what the system is forcing the game to use VSYNC, at least the symptoms let me think so, even if it's disabled everywhere (and I re-installed the game already)
Wallzii
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:12:15 (permalink)
arestavo
See above.

Regardless, my advice has been given. Others can give theirs as well.

Take it or leave it.

Unfortunately I don't have spare computers with better CPU's at.my disposal, so testing in this manner isn't an option.

I'm not going to RMA a card if there isn't anything physically wrong with it. The GPU performance is as expected in games like Control, where it is completely utilized and drawing maximum power, producing performance as seen in benchmarks at my resolution.

My concerns lie in other games, where I am not seeing what I expected, such as Jedi: Fallen Order. Again, the more I research this, the more I believe this is a CPU bottleneck, like it likely is with Horizon in some scenes. I fully understood there would be a bit of bottlenecking from the CPU at 1400p, I just didn't expect it to be this bad in some games with a 3600. A fluctuation of 70-130FPS in Jedi: Fallen Order seems extreme, which is why I was concerned, since my initial testing was done on Kashyyk where the performance is consistently on the low side.

Again, my interpretation of a CPU bottleneck meant that I should see at least a single thread close to 100% utilization, which might be a misunderstanding (no one has given thorough evidence as to exactly how a CPU bottleneck can manifest itself on thread monitoring software). When Jedi: Fallen Order only pegged three threads at 70-75%, I assumed this wasn't a bottleneck. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, which is what I'm trying to find out.
post edited by Wallzii - 2020/11/11 12:20:52

Wallzii
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:19:44 (permalink)
KeiroMidori
Wallzii
KeiroMidori

Sure this one for example: watch?v=CY4QVONS3eE&ab_channel=HardCoreGamingX 
97% usage, it's not the same GPU though. 

There's a huge disparity here. The second benchmark you posted (the one quoted) is getting much worse performance than the 3080 video, sometimes almost half the FPS. In the 3080 video, there are sections where GPU utilization is very low as well and frames drop, further pointing that there are indeed areas in the game that are very CPU bound.

MrEWhite
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:22:18 (permalink)

KeiroMidori
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo
Wallzii
arestavo

Turn off Gsync.

Test again.

Because some games are less CPU bound than others.
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:22:56 (permalink)
Also, you can set a DSR resolution in the NVCP. Try for 4K, and use it in game. If GPU utilization maxes out, or gets close, it seems that your CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough at lower res.
Wallzii
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:31:24 (permalink)
arestavo
Also, you can set a DSR resolution in the NVCP. Try for 4K, and use it in game. If GPU utilization maxes out, or gets close, it seems that your CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough at lower res.

I'd say it is better to lower the resolution, and if FPS is the same, you'll know performance is CPU bound. I did this with Jedi: Fallen Order and FPS across 1080p to 1440p to 4K was essentially identical. Again, zero CPU threads were maxed, which made me believe something else was going on. But that aside, this really does look like a CPU bottleneck.

KeiroMidori
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:31:26 (permalink)
Well I'll be damned if my 3700X can't get the job done at 1440p (with a 3090). I guess I'll have to wait for my 5900X but if the issue persists, what then?
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:33:35 (permalink)
KeiroMidori
Well I'll be damned if my 3700X can't get the job done at 1440p (with a 3090). I guess I'll have to wait for my 5900X but if the issue persists, what then?

Fresh windows install.

Test the card in a different computer.

If the problem persists, RMA.
Wallzii
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 12:42:53 (permalink)
KeiroMidori

I just think it is highly dependent on the game. A game like Control, everything is as expected, where it's pushing the GPU to its max. A poorly optimized game, like Jedi: Fallen Order, raises some alarm bells, for sure.
post edited by Wallzii - 2020/11/11 13:09:15

mrjeffos
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 13:08:58 (permalink)

I frequently notice CPU/RAM bottlenecks in several games at 1440p, such as PUBG and COD:WZ.  Even Shadow of the Tomb Raider shows me at 50% CPU bottlenecked in 1440p ultra.  The SOTT demo/benchmark is free on steam and is IMO a great way to test this.

I have a FTW3 3080, 9700k @ 5.1, 3200CL14 RAM.

If you suspect a CPU bottleneck you can test how much CPU headroom you have-

1- Run a benchmark
2- drop CPU core multiplier by 20%
3- re-run benchmark

If FPS drops 15-20% you're CPU bottlenecked.  if it's minimal (<5%) you're not.  

KeiroMidori
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 13:28:51 (permalink)
I will do the SOTT benchmark to see what I get.
Eventually I will try a Windows complete re-install and see if that fixes the issue.

Whatever happens if I get to fix this I will let you guys know here.
KeiroMidori
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 14:40:57 (permalink)
I just found a youtube video with the same configuration except for the GPU (3080 instead of 3090) and we can see the around 50/60% GPU usage clearly. watch?v=36VX39YrjxE&t=63s 

I guess it can't be helped.
ROORnNUGZ
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/11 14:48:54 (permalink)
Getfunk
I'm having the same issue. 8700k @4.9 all core and a FTW3 ultra running at 3440x1440. 45-65% usage in metro exodus, 70-90% usage in RDR2. 99% in Witcher 3. 99% usage in 3D mark Benchmarks

My 8700k@4.9 also seems to bottleneck my 3080xc3 ultra.
oserrano101
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/12 16:30:47 (permalink)
@op I have the same cpu but I also have a 1000w psu evga plat. I can test this out when the card arrives tomorrow. I got the email to purchase today and paid for overnight shipping. My specs are:

Ryzen 3600
16gb corsair cl14 ram
1000w psu evga plat
card arrives tomorrow.

Edit: Current card is a 2080 super but the 3080 ftw3 arrives tomorrow. I only got the 3600 in prep to get a 5900 but you know how that's going.
Getfunk
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/12 17:25:01 (permalink)
Please share your info.
Jmalto7
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/12 17:33:44 (permalink)
Everyone saying it is a CPU bottleneck has no idea what they are talking about.  I had a 3080 XC3 paired with my old as crap 4790k overclocked to 4.5ghz and I could get 97-98% on almost every modern 3D game in 4k.
Getfunk
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/12 17:37:43 (permalink)
Thanks, I know its not a cpu bottle neck also. I see people on your tube with same cpu. Same overclock. Same resolution and getting 90+ usage. Me. 40-60%
Wallzii
Re: RTX 3080 FTW3 GPU usage consistently low, but CPU usage not maxed out - Solutions? 2020/11/12 19:26:52 (permalink)
Jmalto7
Everyone saying it is a CPU bottleneck has no idea what they are talking about.  I had a 3080 XC3 paired with my old as crap 4790k overclocked to 4.5ghz and I could get 97-98% on almost every modern 3D game in 4k.

So you're saying that people can't be seeing CPU bottlenecks at 1440p or lower because you don't experience CPU bottlenecks at 4K...? Pretty much all games are going to be GPU bound at 4K, so I'm not sure how your experience at 4K scales to lower resolutions. I'd be hesitant to declare that people have no idea what they are talking about when your experience doesn't even illustrate a valid counter-example.

Getfunk
Thanks, I know its not a cpu bottle neck also. I see people on your tube with same cpu. Same overclock. Same resolution and getting 90+ usage. Me. 40-60%

It would be helpful if you included what FPS you are getting in games that are seeing low GPU usage, along with the graphical settings at your display resolution. Whether you are experiencing CPU bottlenecks or there is some other problem with your system that is leading to seeing less GPU usage than you expect in the games you play doesn't mean that other people aren't experiencing CPU bottlenecks in the games they play. For example, Jedi: Fallen Order seems to be very unoptimized and becomes very CPU-bound in certain game environments at even 1440p, not really letting the 3080 stretch its legs.

It is my understanding that Metro: Exodus should be pretty GPU-bound, but listing the settings you play at and FPS you are seeing might help in determining what the actual problem is by comparing those settings/results with other benchmarks out there for the specific games you are seeing problems in.
post edited by Wallzii - 2020/11/12 19:36:39

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile