Helpful ReplyRTX 2080 ti FTW3 RMA Chipped PCB issue

Author
nathen2832
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/03/13 16:40:16 (permalink)
Hi EVGA community,

I wanted some input from experienced users and staff about my RMA. 

Backstory:
I do a lot of computer building/repair for my community and I swap a lot of graphics cards in and out. My 2080 Ti started to artifact, green lines all across the screen and windows 43 error. I registered it to send it in for warranty but that's when I realized the PCIe interface had a little chip(VERY SMALL) and 2 gold fingers near the end of the card seem to be losing the gold plate on top. It must've happened with the constant swapping of the card . Will this affect my RMA experience? I realize that if card had issues due to physical damage it's fair that they would deny me, no questions there. But this seems to be a memory issue/chip issue? (See attached imgur) 

TL;DR: Miniscule chip on PCB, and gold pins losing "gold" but issue with card is unrelated will it affect my RMA (See attached imgur)

https://imgur.com/a/OJl0UK4

post edited by nathen2832 - 2021/03/13 16:41:20
VirtualUnreality
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 122
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: RTX 2080 ti FTW3 RMA Chipped PCB issue 2021/03/13 20:55:23 (permalink)

Greetings, I think you're perhaps you're worrying needlessly.  Qualifier: I don't work for EVGA, but I have worked as a Tech in the past.  I think you're correct that the pins are not the source of the issue, and it looks like the "worn" pins still have enough surface by the depth of the insertion "wear" on the other pins they'd still make contact plus the character of the artifacting in the image;  I suspect if the "worn" pins weren't making contact you'd get either a no video condition and/or perhaps non-detection of the GPU. I looked at the images and it does look as if there is a lot of even "wear" which makes sense from your description; I quote from the warranty here: "...Defects or damages resulting from improper testing, operation, maintenance, installation, service, or adjustment not furnished or approved by EVGA." along with "Any damages to the components, hardware and/or assembly of the Products including but not limited to damages caused as a result of neglect, abuse, accidents, misuse, or unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress...". If you read through these forums, you will find multiple examples of EVGA Technicians suggesting reseating/swapping cards as a diagnostic process/possible resolution.  Therefore, I don't believe that "wear", when caused by properly performed insertion into a PCIe slot, would be considered either "improper testing," nor "misuse" or "unusual stress."  Further down this road, I would think it should absolutely be covered even as an exception as in this instance, since although you performed this troubleshooting step based upon personal technical knowledge, I believe an EVGA Tech would have directed you prior to RMA, among other possible resolutions, to remove/reseat the card to ensure good contact and that the "wear" involving flaking/surface bonding failure of a minor portion of pin material could very well have occurred at that time.  I'd expect and certainly hope that EVGA RMA Dept & Techs view your RMA that way.  Especially also considering you would seem to be in a position in the exception case to likely repurchase from them yourself as well as recommend your friends and acquaintances do so citing that as an example of their service!  I know I recommend EVGA highly myself!

Want an easy way to save up to 10% on your next EVGA purchase? Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the EVGA associate code Y8SZAS1DU12NL92 at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to say "Thank You!" for using it! 

When you register your products please use my Rewards Program Code: NHZXD6NWS9 when uploading your invoice.  Thank you!
nathen2832
Re: RTX 2080 ti FTW3 RMA Chipped PCB issue 2021/03/15 10:06:07 (permalink)
That is disappointing, the issue looks to be caused by onboard components and not related at all to PCIe interface.

EVGATech_ChristianJ
I had our RMA manager review the pictures and unfortunately, this would be considered damaged and not covered by the warranty.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: RTX 2080 ti FTW3 RMA Chipped PCB issue 2021/03/15 14:48:01 (permalink)
nathen2832
That is disappointing, the issue looks to be caused by onboard components and not related at all to PCIe interface.

EVGATech_ChristianJ
I had our RMA manager review the pictures and unfortunately, this would be considered damaged and not covered by the warranty.

It is Sad to loose a card

looks like arcing to me

edge is a little beat-up ---> not normal from several installs, more like impact

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

nathen2832
Re: RTX 2080 ti FTW3 RMA Chipped PCB issue 2021/03/15 15:35:26 (permalink)
I don't know anything about arcing, but it was perfectly fine one night and the next day it decided today was the day it's going to show me how much it loved green lines.

I'm still going to try to send it in, have to try every angle. I don't have $1000 to drop with everything that is going on with the GPU stock shortage and crypto craze. 
VirtualUnreality
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 122
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: RTX 2080 ti FTW3 RMA Chipped PCB issue 2021/03/15 16:59:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nathen2832 2021/03/15 17:07:50
nathen2832
I don't know anything about arcing, but it was perfectly fine one night and the next day it decided today was the day it's going to show me how much it loved green lines.

I'm still going to try to send it in, have to try every angle. I don't have $1000 to drop with everything that is going on with the GPU stock shortage and crypto craze. 

Sorry to to see the negative outcome I'm a bit surprised, as although there is quite a bit of wear there as you stated from a lot of swapping the card, I thought there was a good chance EVGA would cover it since it appears there's a decent chance that the wear is not the issue causing the artifacting as you also stated, or at least suggest you could send it in for inspection before committing to cover it with you having to pay return shipping if they said no.  I'm not sure that EVGA offers pay-for-repair service at the component level, but you can ask.  I understand EVGA's making the disappointing judgement call, but perhaps there is still a middle road which can accommodate both parties;  What about appealing to the RMA Mgt. once more and asking them would they be willing to ignore the PCIe connection PCB trace wear?  Meaning that if EVGA will agree to bench it as is and see if the PCIe connection is truly an issue or not, and diagnose components as they would to see if something onboard like VRAM is causing artifacting?  Perhaps there is a possible component repair option, and you can agree to accept that repaired card with the existing PCIe connector wear as is as.  If indeed, connector is too excessively worn and that's the issue you can pay return shipping and explore other options below.

Secondly, there's a surprisingly busy trade on sites such as Ebay and that ilk in cards that are classed as "Non-Operable"/"For Parts only", at surprisingly high prices, so perhaps you'd be able to recoup some of your investment that way in the event the above is a no-go, or get in contact with someone who can perform component level repair on a pay-for basis ( Someone must be doing it, or why are so many inoperable cards selling(?), or swap you a repaired lesser card on spec.

Thirdly, if you search under "PCB trace repair", you'll see some possible options that are a bit tricky and time consuming but inexpensive, if you'd care to attempt to see if that wear is truly involved or not on your own.  I'd suggest if you do, you use a very old Motherboard you don't care too much about to test ( You sound as if you might have one around  ) as you may run the risk of damaging the PCIe slot if you attempt that.

I hope something I or someone else contributes will help you solve your issue, and I wish you the very best of luck!.

Want an easy way to save up to 10% on your next EVGA purchase? Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the EVGA associate code Y8SZAS1DU12NL92 at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to say "Thank You!" for using it! 

When you register your products please use my Rewards Program Code: NHZXD6NWS9 when uploading your invoice.  Thank you!
nathen2832
Re: RTX 2080 ti FTW3 RMA Chipped PCB issue 2021/03/15 17:12:48 (permalink)
VirtualUnreality
nathen2832

Sorry to to see the negative outcome I'm a bit surprised, as although there is quite a bit of wear there as you stated from a lot of swapping the card, I thought there was a good chance EVGA would cover it since it appears there's a decent chance that the wear is not the issue causing the artifacting as you also stated, or at least suggest you could send it in for inspection before committing to cover it with you having to pay return shipping if they said no.  I'm not sure that EVGA offers pay-for-repair service at the component level, but you can ask.  I understand EVGA's making the disappointing judgement call, but perhaps there is still a middle road which can accommodate both parties;  What about appealing to the RMA Mgt. once more and asking them would they be willing to ignore the PCIe connection PCB trace wear?  Meaning that if EVGA will agree to bench it as is and see if the PCIe connection is truly an issue or not, and diagnose components as they would to see if something onboard like VRAM is causing artifacting?  Perhaps there is a possible component repair option, and you can agree to accept that repaired card with the existing PCIe connector wear as is as.  If indeed, connector is too excessively worn and that's the issue you can pay return shipping and explore other options below.

Secondly, there's a surprisingly busy trade on sites such as Ebay and that ilk in cards that are classed as "Non-Operable"/"For Parts only", at surprisingly high prices, so perhaps you'd be able to recoup some of your investment that way in the event the above is a no-go, or get in contact with someone who can perform component level repair on a pay-for basis ( Someone must be doing it, or why are so many inoperable cards selling(?), or swap you a repaired lesser card on spec.

Thirdly, if you search under "PCB trace repair", you'll see some possible options that are a bit tricky and time consuming but inexpensive, if you'd care to attempt to see if that wear is truly involved or not on your own.  I'd suggest if you do, you use a very old Motherboard you don't care too much about to test ( You sound as if you might have one around  ) as you may run the risk of damaging the PCIe slot if you attempt that.

I hope something I or someone else contributes will help you solve your issue, and I wish you the very best of luck!.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did ship it out today and if they do deny my RMA I can hopefully get in touch with their management and try to find a middle ground like you said. I'm all for paying some labor/repair costs if that means I'll get back a working card. 

I've looked up the PCB trace, and it doesn't seem like it should be needed for my card, the gold plating on top of the copper traces are just scraped off. I also looked up the purpose of each pin and if the pins on my card was damage, the whole thing shouldn't even be able to power on as safety precaution. 
EVGATech_DanielM
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 1132
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: RTX 2080 ti FTW3 RMA Chipped PCB issue 2021/03/16 14:16:32 (permalink)
nathen2832

Thanks for the suggestion. I did ship it out today and if they do deny my RMA I can hopefully get in touch with their management and try to find a middle ground like you said. I'm all for paying some labor/repair costs if that means I'll get back a working card. 

I've looked up the PCB trace, and it doesn't seem like it should be needed for my card, the gold plating on top of the copper traces are just scraped off. I also looked up the purpose of each pin and if the pins on my card was damage, the whole thing shouldn't even be able to power on as safety precaution. 

The damage to the pins are typically from overvoltage of the PCI E port. Those specific pins are data and not power. This could be a PSU issue but likely be the motherboard itself. Of course, once we receive the product we will evaluate it and if ultimately denied it would mean the RMA manager reviewed it. 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile