EVGA

RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds

Author
JFord047
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/01/27 01:04:49 (permalink)
I got this card in February 2020 though never got it into the computer until March 2020. Loved the graphics and the power from the card, and as always with Every FTW card I have owned, there was no need to take it over the Factory Settings.

Everything went well, until About August of 2020, when the fans started randomly increasing in speed and noise, By December this was now starting ANY windows Graphics Application it went Full speed on the Fans, By January this became ANY windows Application, and as of a few days ago, starting windows will run the fans up Full Speed!

I am on the list for the RTX 3070 / RTX 3080 for the 2 computers in the house, but now its getting annoying, my wife will not get off of her computer long enough for me to do anything, so its causing some friction lol

I do Have a work around - EVGA Precision X1

At First it was Just Start the software, the fans went quiet , and you were good for the rest of the day. Now of the past few days, I am starting and stopping the Software  every time a windows application starts, and more during my playing of Grand Theft Horse / Grand theft Yeha! (not owning up to playing the actual game here!). 

I have tried contacting Support, but Nothing...

To make matters Worse, rather being at home in Texas, we have been stuck here in Scotland Since March of 2020... So this is possibly affecting my sanity

Card Removed Cleaned and put back in
Power Supply changed from Corsair RM 850i to RM 1000i
All updates for everything installed on daily basis
tried changing motherboards (intel to AMD & Back) 
on the precision Software MEM2 & PWR5 are both constantly Hotter than the rest by about 2 - 8 degrees

Any help or Suggestions would be helpful

Reaching the END OF LIFE, Out of Support, and Troublesome between good periods

20 Replies Related Threads

JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/28 22:47:40 (permalink)
    Finally got a reply from Support.... 
    Not a thing done to help, and some of the most stupid suggestions given... 

q. Fans Running Full Speed after windows Starts  a. "What about the GPU temperature while Fan is ramping up its speed ?" well the answer to that answer is Room TEMP

A. "I would recommend inspecting the fan area on the card to see if there are any wires or foreign materials that are making contact with the fan, causing any interference. " well I am an engineer, and anything interfering with a fan blade will stop it turning or reduce its speed, so how is that going to make a graphics card suddenly start spinning up 3 fans full speed???

A. "If this is not the case or doing this has no effect, I would recommend removing the card from the system and placing it on a non-conductive surface, then placing downward pressure on the center of the fan hub to try to realign the fans, then place it back into the computer and see any improvement."

ok once more I had said it had been out and cleaned, but I might agree with the pushing of the fan Downwards, this would be if the impellor blade had departed from the spindle, and the motor was running up full speed as it had no resistance from the fan blades... but NO the sound is different, and you can see the fans do it through the glass door!

A> "Have you tried setting Manual fan curve using EVGA PrecisionX1 ?"

This one would be sensible (ish) the card worked perfectly, its a factory overclocked FTW3 you do not need to overclock it. but I had already said, that ALL FANS RUN UP FULL SPEED, START DEFAULT PRECISIONX1 2 FANS TURN OFF , 1 GOES TO 20%. shut down precisionx1 until the fans ramp up[ again.

The card never needed the software to keep the fans correct before, so why should i now have to use software to get it running correctly????

"If problem continues please do send us short audio or Video recording of behavior for internal Analysis",

ok Cecil B. Demill / Martin Scorsese , its ready for its close up, its makeups done, its looking all fresh and alluring, but i cannot get a video of Start computer - Load Windows - Fans Go Full Speed in less than the 2Mb you allow for Uploads... so I have no way of getting you this , I even tried GPUz and grabbing screenshots of the action as it happened,  I can only Load 1 or 2 at a time I need you to see all 5 (yes i know, i did put it in 4 additional questions!) 

Whats the fault???

How do I fix it???

do i need a Bios Refresh???

do I need to RMA the card???

Do I need to put the 850w PSU back in WITH the 1000W and dedicate that only to the GPU?

Do I need to switch to my Mac ONLY?

Do i Need to once more reinstall windows or Linux?

So many Questions that could be asked.... 

Problem - Start windows All Fans Run up to 3300rpm and stay there , (load GPUz and the pause slightly 1 second, then go back up) , Start default presisionx1 and 2 fans stop the other goes to 20% (as it came it think) , how do i get it back to the way it was and stay there (until of course the thing needs to spin up the fans to stop boiling) 

Just as well I have been in the house for 11 month not going anywhere, as this would have sent me to the bar long ago!!!

JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 01:26:00 (permalink)
    Thought I had a Possible Fix... LMAO, NOPE!! Amazon have agreed to take the card back for a Full refund as it is no longer available, So I no have 7 days to find a New graphics card...

Probably not a snowballs chance in hell, I have been on the waiting list for ANY of the RTX300 Series cards since November, and do not know when i will get there. Nobody nor their Dog has any RTX 2080's either, I refused to Buy a 2080ti, so choice is Get another make of RTX 3090, or switch back to my 980Ti FTW and wait until you can actually buy Graphics cards..

or simply just accept that a faulty RTX 2080 Super is better than nothing...

What a World we live in....

For myself. friends and work I have been able to buy EVGA graphics cards at any time, now since October of last year its really a no go... I think the biggest mistake I made was to refuse several other companies in preference for EVGA, now the knives getting stuck in deeper lol

Who brought the knife to a gunfight???

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 02:07:22 (permalink)
    JFord047
    Thought I had a Possible Fix... LMAO, NOPE!! Amazon have agreed to take the card back for a Full refund as it is no longer available, So I no have 7 days to find a New graphics card...

Probably not a snowballs chance in hell, I have been on the waiting list for ANY of the RTX300 Series cards since November, and do not know when i will get there. Nobody nor their Dog has any RTX 2080's either, I refused to Buy a 2080ti, so choice is Get another make of RTX 3090, or switch back to my 980Ti FTW and wait until you can actually buy Graphics cards..

or simply just accept that a faulty RTX 2080 Super is better than nothing...

What a World we live in....

For myself. friends and work I have been able to buy EVGA graphics cards at any time, now since October of last year its really a no go... I think the biggest mistake I made was to refuse several other companies in preference for EVGA, now the knives getting stuck in deeper lol

Who brought the knife to a gunfight???

Did you already send the GPU back? Which BIOS on the GPU are you using?
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/01/29 02:12:27

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 02:11:43 (permalink)
    Not Yet, only got the authorisation hours ago. And it was dark here in Scotland, spent 3 hours trying to find a replacement

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 02:12:54 (permalink)
    JFord047
    Not Yet, only got the authorisation hours ago. And it was dark here in Scotland, spent 3 hours trying to find a replacement

Which BIOS on the GPU are you using?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 02:16:09 (permalink)
    Have not got a clue, the original that came with the card, its totally unmodified, never overclocked (bar EVGA's) I love the FTW cards as they are boosted Just right, no need to buger about with them.

This started October / November, just the odd ramp up in speed, then it got worse and worse, now you start windows and the fans gop full speed , its past getting on my nerves (frayed as they are) ... LMAO i am more in kill mode than negotiate these days 

JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 02:17:45 (permalink)
    90.04.7A.00.9E just looked on GPUz.... could not see it in presisionx1 (but oh the instant silence was worth  starting it)

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 02:23:25 (permalink)
    JFord047
    90.04.7A.00.9E just looked on GPUz.... could not see it in presisionx1 (but oh the instant silence was worth  starting it)

What I mean is, there is a BIOS switch on your GPU. There's an OC BIOS and a the standard BIOS. It's right near the top edge of the GPU. You may have bumped it. In the OC BIOS it disables the idle fan speed and sets a more aggressive fan profile. Check to make sure it is not on the OC BIOS. Completely power down the system. Turn off or unplug your PSU. Press the power button to bleed off any leftover voltage.  Even if you think the BIOS switch is in the normal position I'd switch it back and forth, make sure it's in the non OC position. Restart and see what happens.

Interestingly . 90.04.7A.00.9E IS the OC BIOS.  
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2021/01/29 02:28:42

JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 02:25:48 (permalink)
    Bios Switch has been pushed to "Go Faster Mode" since day 1, put into case and never changed...

if it was going to be noisy or start 100% 3 fans when starting windows, it should have done it on day 1

But I have tried switching it over to go slow mode in December... No Difference then, but have not tried it in January lol

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 02:32:45 (permalink)
    JFord047
    Bios Switch has been pushed to "Go Faster Mode" since day 1, put into case and never changed...

if it was going to be noisy or start 100% 3 fans when starting windows, it should have done it on day 1

But I have tried switching it over to go slow mode in December... No Difference then, but have not tried it in January lol

Okay... well we have to start somewhere or not.

JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 02:34:57 (permalink)
    Very True!

40 years as a computer engineer / 20 of those as a network consultant... I am still learning lol

But I covered the basics pretty much on day 1, I do not call in support until I have tried everything else

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/29 11:16:00 (permalink)
    JFord047
    Very True!

40 years as a computer engineer / 20 of those as a network consultant... I am still learning lol

But I covered the basics pretty much on day 1, I do not call in support until I have tried everything else

That's great you covered the basics with someone else. I could give you my CV, MSEE, with multiple patents in areas that would explain my aversion for IT folks who seem to like to like to explain what  they are not doing but not why... 
    So, changing the BIOS switch on the GPU does not change the fan behavior at all? If I could get one answer to a troubleshooting question, that would be swell.

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/30 14:21:55 (permalink)
    Have you configured your PX1 to start when Windows starts? If yes have you tried uninstalling PX1, or at least telling it not to start together with Windows?
    JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/31 00:53:06 (permalink)
    Nope the Bios Switch was flicked on on day one, and the card started Silent, since then it has been turned off Twice, Both after the Fans Decided to start their speeding up, No Effect either to performance or fan speeds... Aside from the Fans and Noise, its an excellent card! 

And Yes, I just about ALWAYS, get a second opinion on most Computer maters that I have not came across before! Nobody Know Everything about Everything, but there are folk who know everything about specifics, they can be gold dust for advice on those areas. lol

ZoranC - the PX1 had been installed shortly after I got the card, to see what it was all about, there was NOTHING in there that was of any interest or use, so it came out. The computer has been reinstalled about 4 times since then ( New Drive - Changed CPU - General Cleaning up) and was never installed again until the fans started their Silly act. As Soon as you start the app the #1 fan drops to 20%, #2 & #3 Fans go to 0% then the PX1 is unloaded and it stays Quiet for a While.

Of late (past 2-3 days)  the Fans are ramping up as the computer starts , so Power (fans Run up 100% then Stop, Normal) > BIOS Screen (fans are now Climbing and are at about 80% by Sound)  > Windows Starts (fans stay where they are) > Application loaded (fans Run at 100% #1.#2 & #3) > Application stopped back to windows only fans stay at 100% > Load Default PX1, (#1 fan drops to 20%, #2 & #3 Fans go to 0% then the PX1 is unloaded and it stays Quiet > Load an Application back to the start... Repeat All day Every Day from 03:00 until 22:00 when the computer is turned off

JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/31 00:57:38 (permalink)
    Just to be clear, I did not want rid of the Card - just a fix! and the option of returning it to Amazon, is really as bust as NOBODY has any graphics cards - EVGA or otherwise. I have been on the list for the RTX 3080 FTW since November 2nd. So I am still looking at the EVGA equipment  - this has not put me off EVGA. In the past I have had EVGA Graphics cards fault, and until now, I never had a bad word to say about EVGA Support responses. 

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/31 10:58:43 (permalink)
    JFord047
    Nope the Bios Switch was flicked on on day one, and the card started Silent, since then it has been turned off Twice, Both after the Fans Decided to start their speeding up, No Effect either to performance or fan speeds... Aside from the Fans and Noise, its an excellent card! 

And Yes, I just about ALWAYS, get a second opinion on most Computer maters that I have not came across before! Nobody Know Everything about Everything, but there are folk who know everything about specifics, they can be gold dust for advice on those areas. lol

ZoranC - the PX1 had been installed shortly after I got the card, to see what it was all about, there was NOTHING in there that was of any interest or use, so it came out. The computer has been reinstalled about 4 times since then ( New Drive - Changed CPU - General Cleaning up) and was never installed again until the fans started their Silly act. As Soon as you start the app the #1 fan drops to 20%, #2 & #3 Fans go to 0% then the PX1 is unloaded and it stays Quiet for a While.

Of late (past 2-3 days)  the Fans are ramping up as the computer starts , so Power (fans Run up 100% then Stop, Normal) > BIOS Screen (fans are now Climbing and are at about 80% by Sound)  > Windows Starts (fans stay where they are) > Application loaded (fans Run at 100% #1.#2 & #3) > Application stopped back to windows only fans stay at 100% > Load Default PX1, (#1 fan drops to 20%, #2 & #3 Fans go to 0% then the PX1 is unloaded and it stays Quiet > Load an Application back to the start... Repeat All day Every Day from 03:00 until 22:00 when the computer is turned off

I don't know will this help you but FYI and FWIW:

Only time fans are controlled by PX1 / its profiles is while PX1 is actively running, all other times (during boot or once PX1 is -closed-, -not- minimized / running in background) it is controlled by BIOS.

BIOS behavior of fans is approximately like this: Non-OC BIOS below certain GPU temperature completely stops the fan, above it starts ramping up/down based on temperature. OC BIOS doesn't stop the fan below certain temperature, it maintains minimum fixed speed, and above it has bit more aggressive curve.

While PX1 is running it is completely in control of fans, moment you exit it BIOS is back in control. You can easily confirm behavior with GPU-Z.

I have two 2080 Super FTW3 Hybrids and they both behave this way. I'm running them both with OC BIOS controlling fans and I haven't experienced issues you described, I experienced different kind when radiator fan didn't want to ramp up if it was connected to card (which I worked around by connecting it to mb).

Considering you have issue only when running on BIOS that goes away once PX1 is started that is indicating OC BIOS is having problem controlling fans. What is the cause is a question for EVGA.

But in the meantime have you tried switching to non-OC BIOS?

You might also want to consider configuring PX1 to start at boot. I know it will not address root of the problem but it might help you use system without that irritating noise while you are looking for solution.

... and whatever you do GPU-Z and its monitoring + logging is your friend. It will tell you exactly what is going on with which fan at which point in time.
    JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/31 13:41:28 (permalink)
    ZoranC, 

thanks, makes a lot of common sense , this is the first Card i have had since the GTX280 that has not been hydro-copper (those are just the best) I have been logging with GPU-z, and a couple of things did jump out, I have just spent the day playing Grand Theft Horse with my wife, sure enough the fans had ramped up, but after starting PX1 and setting the fans to ALL 50%, then shutting it down , they stayed there happily 

the 2 warning ones in my mind are MEM 2 which was 6 degrees higher than MEM1 & MEM3, and PWR5 was at 72 centigrade whilst all the rest of the PWR sensors were at 65 centigrade 

stopping the game and running the fans all at 100% dropped the temps rapidly, since typing this MEM2 (27) and PWR5 (29) are still 1 degree higher than the rest of them mems are 26 , pwrs are 28, cpu 26

switching to the non overclocked Bios has no effect, and when i started using the card oc on . i had noticed that only fan 1 was ever running , you had to play 4K games Full everything for 4-5 hours before either of the other fans would even trickle on.. this was fine for 6 months , then it started to change, going from hmmm to horrendous in a month

I know that starting PX1 with the computer will help noise, but it does not seem to control the fans!! if i set it to the default of 20 - 0 - 0, then thats where it stays and the card bakes , if I set it to 50 - 50 - 50 same result the fans stay there, but the card maxes out at 72 degrees.

my gut says there is a temp sensor fault  , I would love to strip the card right down and get a meter on it, but sods law says that i will make things worse. 

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/01/31 14:52:23 (permalink)
    JFord047
    the 2 warning ones in my mind are MEM 2 which was 6 degrees higher than MEM1 & MEM3, and PWR5 was at 72 centigrade whilst all the rest of the PWR sensors were at 65 centigrade 

stopping the game and running the fans all at 100% dropped the temps rapidly, since typing this MEM2 (27) and PWR5 (29) are still 1 degree higher than the rest of them mems are 26 , pwrs are 28, cpu 26

Different temperature sensors are located at different physical spots so I don't think one can expect them to be identical. I too get up to 6C of difference between them depending on what I'm running.

switching to the non overclocked Bios has no effect, and when i started using the card oc on . i had noticed that only fan 1 was ever running , you had to play 4K games Full everything for 4-5 hours before either of the other fans would even trickle on.. this was fine for 6 months , then it started to change, going from hmmm to horrendous in a month

JFord047
    I know that starting PX1 with the computer will help noise, but it does not seem to control the fans!! if i set it to the default of 20 - 0 - 0, then thats where it stays and the card bakes , if I set it to 50 - 50 - 50 same result the fans stay there, but the card maxes out at 72 degrees.

It is possible that you have problem similar to what mine was. My card sometimes wouldn't ramp up fan and temperatures would shoot up. Now imagine temperatures shooting up because that happened and now all of the sudden card managing to start fan. Fan would immediately go high speed.

I think you need to get yourself familiar with GPU-Z. That would tell you not just temperatures but what RPMs of the fan are and what % of fan speed system thinks they are on. That would give you clear picture of what is happening with your fans. 

But most importantly you need to find a way to escalate your ticket with EVGA.
    JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/02/03 03:53:48 (permalink)
    I got the UK number for EVGA Tech Support and Called

Advanced RMA Sorted in less than 10 minutes, now thats the EVGA I know and love lol.

don't care about how long it will take, as now I know somethings getting done!

JFord047
    Re: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra Fan Speeds 2021/02/20 02:13:28 (permalink)
    Well I got the replacement RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra as an advanced RMA.

I stuck it into the clean instal system, and it was like Day 1 Quiet, Very Happy I was!!!

Then after I connected to the network, the fans started ramping up again, Full Speed.. ****!!

So I started uninstalling everything, one by one, rebooting the computer each time, until I had uninstalled EVERY program  / Game that I had installed. It made no difference, so then I started on the Microsoft programs, once by one they all went, no change.

So I then started looking at the Microsoft “extras”, thee items that come in that you do not need want nor use…
    So I came to the idea this was something that I would have to live with, so I noticed (Somehow) , that Precision X1 had been update , I grabbed it for Stand Alone / Steam / and the Windows Game Bar.
    All of a Sudden, I found in the Game Bar App, there was an EVGA Game Bar Add-on, it had 1 fan set as 20% the other 2 set as 100%...

I do not overclock (no need EVGA have already done that for me) , I do not stream, nor do I capture in Game stuff… So I have NEVER used the Game Bar… how this has happened I have no clue!

But I set the fans in the game bar to AUTO, and instant Silence, rebooted the computer, still silent, started 3 games at the same time, still silent…

So for 6 months of being driven crazy it turns out that it was a Game Bar App that was not even installed that was the fault, installing it, let me find the setting and change it!!!

I know why the problem now came back, the server runs a roaming profile and remote install, once I logged the computer back into the network (as I thought the problem was over) the Server reset the computer to what it thought it was meant to be, in the majority its correct, this time although it did its job right, if put the fault back into the system .

It also explained WHY when I moved the previous card into my wife's computer, logged in as me, the card started playing silly buggers all over again. (also Why the EVGA 980ti did not go loopy in the computer, it only has 2 fans and a different profile is created in the EVGA Game Bar App)

The Moral of the story…. Do not let anyone onto your computer, whoever was on, and whatever they did caused a lot of Brain Hurt…

but for me, (once EVGA return my 850 Euros) , this is a happy ending...  And a Big Thanks to EVGA Support, for getting the card RMA'd , which allowed me to find the software fault at last 

(Until I will today install the EVGA 980ti FTW back in and dedicate it to physics LMAO, hopefully i will not cause any weird problems )

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile