EVGA

RTX 2080 Black screening

Author
Extraordinarii
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/08/15 04:24:32 (permalink)
I have an RTX 2080 that is black screening on windows start-up. The card is basically brand new and unused, it is itself a warranty replacement for a previous card that failed. 

The GPU will black screen on windows start-up, during the loading icon. I can boot to windows in safe mode, but if I attempt to reinstall drivers or let windows auto update drivers it triggers an immediate black screen. 

I have:
replaced all the wires and cables on my computer,
completely reinstalled windows,
replaced the PSU,
swapped the PCI express slots,
tested three different monitors, with a whole range of different settings,
tried every possible connector (Display port, HDMI etc). 

When I tested the GPU on a different system it booted fine and was able to run 3d mark for an hour, which leads me to believe its possible it's a motherboard issue, the only thing I have yet to replace. However, the system works fine when I ran my old r9 290 Radeon, it encounters no issues whatsoever. So there would have to be some specific interaction between my motherboard and the specific GPU. I should mention the issues originally occurred a week ago when the GPU suddenly started black screening in games after having appeared to work flawlessly for several weeks. The Black screens became more frequent until eventually it would black screen whilst idle and could no longer boot to windows. So whatever happened happened really fast. I was using the same drivers the whole time, and the GPU was not overclocked. I am running Windows 10.

GPU : RTX 2080
MB : AS Rock Taichi

Any suggestions/help you can provide would be great.
Thanks. 

7 Replies Related Threads

BiggyNewton
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 143
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: RTX 2080 Black screening 2022/08/15 07:50:54 (permalink)
    Have you tried setting PCI-e to gen 3 or 2 in the bios?

Associate code: EKA5I8R4C7M401L
    Thanks to anyone using my code!
    Extraordinarii
    Re: RTX 2080 Black screening 2022/08/15 07:57:58 (permalink)
    Yes I have, along with all the traditional BIOS resets. I subsequently tried reinstalling windows again and using older NVIDIA legacy drivers, all have the same result. The GPU now appears to be having problems in the second computer I have been independently testing it on. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 20291
    • Ribbons : 254
    Re: RTX 2080 Black screening 2022/08/16 04:05:59 (permalink)
    It sounds like a GPU issue to me.
    Extraordinarii
    Re: RTX 2080 Black screening 2022/08/16 16:48:29 (permalink)
    I can confirm the GPU is dead. It was itself an RMA replacement for a previous card that developed serious coil whine. Having examined the GPU further (it's basically unused since I received it from EVGA) I can tell the GPU has been disassembled in the past, with thermal pace splatters and other signs of heavy modification. I suspect the GPU had already been sent back to EVGA before because of these issues and then they sent it to me as an RMA replacement. Potentially they tried to repair it and then sent it to me hoping to run out the clock. Now they are claiming they can no longer help me because it's out of warranty. Fortunately, the law specifically prohibits such practises so my next step is legal action. What EVGA have done here is extremely disappointing and I will be suing them for civil damages as well as refering them to a violation of CPUTR which ae criminal statues. Very disappointed in EVGA but I'm legally trained and know the law well so I am confident I will get a judgment against them.  
    EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    RMA Management
    • Total Posts : 1435
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: RTX 2080 Black screening 2022/08/16 17:43:49 (permalink)
    Hello Extraordinarii,

I sent you an email a moment ago to see how we may be able to help you.  If you can, please help reply to my email when time permits.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

EVGA USA RMA Dept.
    Reddit/Twitter - @evga_jaysonc 

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 93749
    • Ribbons : 78
    Re: RTX 2080 Black screening 2022/08/17 00:22:17 (permalink)
    Thanks Jayson

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X,  Corsair Mp600 Pro M.2, 128GB DDR4  Crosshair VIII Hero, RTX 3090ti FTW Ultra Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    RMA Management
    • Total Posts : 1435
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: RTX 2080 Black screening 2022/08/17 10:05:02 (permalink)
    Hi Extraordinarii,

I can confirm that a representative from our EU Regional office has reached out with some options for you in efforts of supporting your product.  Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

EVGA USA RMA Dept.
    Reddit/Twitter - @evga_jaysonc 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile