750 80+ PSU
3700x CPU
32 GB (3600 MHz) RAM
MSI Gaming Pro Mother Board
RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming

Hello,

I built this rig September 17th 2019.

It ran fine up until October 9th 2019.

I was running games like Apex Legends, Sea of Thieves and software like Adobe Premiere Pro CC on the rig. It never failed and was working like a beast.

On 10/9, I was playing Sea of Thieves on max settings and I start to smell a burning plastic/chemical smell. After quick inspection of my house, I found the route cause was my PC.

I quickly turned it off and started looking at it. I didn’t notice any burns upon a quick inspection.

Turned back the rig on, installed the GPU monitoring provided by EVGA and noticed FAN 1 would not spin up manually, only FAN 2.

FAN 1 was making a noise like it was attempting to spin up.

Would it be safe to assume the burning plastic is a the GPU because cooling isn’t working properly?

Never had this issue with any other rigs I’ve built; just looking for advise and help.

Thank Yoi

3 Replies Related Threads

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming BURNING PLASTIC SMELL 2019/10/09 06:04:09 (permalink)
    jvalenti
    750 80+ PSU
    3700x CPU
    32 GB (3600 MHz) RAM
    MSI Gaming Pro Mother Board
    RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming

Hello,

I built this rig September 17th 2019.

It ran fine up until October 9th 2019.

I was running games like Apex Legends, Sea of Thieves and software like Adobe Premiere Pro CC on the rig. It never failed and was working like a beast.

On 10/9, I was playing Sea of Thieves on max settings and I start to smell a burning plastic/chemical smell. After quick inspection of my house, I found the route cause was my PC.

I quickly turned it off and started looking at it. I didn’t notice any burns upon a quick inspection.

Turned back the rig on, installed the GPU monitoring provided by EVGA and noticed FAN 1 would not spin up manually, only FAN 2.

FAN 1 was making a noise like it was attempting to spin up.

Would it be safe to assume the burning plastic is a the GPU because cooling isn’t working properly?

Never had this issue with any other rigs I’ve built; just looking for advise and help.

Thank Yoi

Did you try and turn both fans by hand individually and see if the 1 fans turns with more resistance that is malfunctioning? 

jvalenti
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming BURNING PLASTIC SMELL 2019/10/09 06:19:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response.

The fan doesn’t seem to have any resistance when turning it manually.
    EVGATech_AdamB
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1930
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming BURNING PLASTIC SMELL 2019/10/09 09:14:48 (permalink)
    Hello jvalenti! Looks like you messaged us directly and sounds like the best thing to do is to start an RMA request for the card. You can do this by logging into your member account, then visit the link here: https://www.evga.com/support/evgarma1.asp. Be sure to fill out the form completely and click "Submit RMA Information" at the end then you should get a confirmation e-mail once it is successfully submitted.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile