RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing

Author
legit
  • Total Posts : 68
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/14 18:13:56 (permalink)
Hi, 

I just RMAed my card to EVGA Taiwan recently and the same card came back 30 minutes ago. But it works! And it seems to be even better considering I got an actual FPS increase in benchmarks (122 vs 113 in Valley benchmark so that's pretty substantial) and the fact that OC Scanner also works as well (it was throwing up a weird error before this). Is it possible to have details as to what was wrong with the card itself/what was done? I'm genuinely curious as I spent an entire evening testing different configurations/drivers and another system but stock clocks just resulted in crashes or artifacts (see other thread)

19 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/14 18:15:54 (permalink)
    What makes you think you got the Same Card Back?
    This Other Thread? RTX 2070 XC Gaming Artifacts
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/14 18:17:55

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

legit
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/14 18:17:47 (permalink)
    Exact same serial, exact same box I shipped it in (they even used the same shipping box I sent it in). Even has the same grey dust plug I forgot to take out.

Yup, that thread, I was getting crashes and artifacts even with downclocked memory (needed to downclock -999 in X1 to get Valley to run without artifacts but you can see the memory at -175 showing artifacts in that link). Making me wonder if nothing was done and it was all in my mind. But it just makes no sense now that it works perfectly now. So I'm curious as to what was done/what was wrong. I don't even think the BIOs was changed.
    post edited by legit - 2019/03/14 18:22:13
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/14 18:21:46 (permalink)
    I bet it is just the same Back Plate
    Is the Serial Number on the PCIe the same?
    Not sure what it might be you would need to as EVGA about your RMA and was happened?
    But if the Card is working fine now what is really the issue?
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/14 18:24:02

legit
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/14 18:24:32 (permalink)
    Yup. I'm just gonna keep testing this card. The problem wasn't there out of the box (the afternoon I got the card) but eventually developed by the evening. But the fact that OC Scanner even runs now suggests to me that perhaps something has changed at the very least (considering nothing else was changed in my system) in addition to the increased benchmark score.

That's exactly why I'm curious if they found what was wrong. I spent the evening reseating and DDUing, installing different drivers. Even loaded a fresh OS on an old backup SSD but still had problems. But the fact it works now is just baffling to me and I would like closure so I don't think I'm crazy. I'm thinking that perhaps they found no problems lol.
    post edited by legit - 2019/03/14 18:29:53
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/14 18:28:32 (permalink)
    Maybe they just flashed the Bios.
    We can guess at this all day, EVGA is the only one that can tell you anything.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/14 18:45:13 (permalink)
    Could have been as simple as TIM & thermal Pads

but you got it Back & it Works 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

legit
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/15 23:29:01 (permalink)
    Might've spoke too soon. Already crashed once in World of Warships. We'll see how it goes over the next couple of days.

Stock clocks - noticed the boost is around 1860s this time around.
    https://streamable.com/hdsrj
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/16 16:58:01 (permalink)
    Was your card returned to you with not action taken by EVGA or Rejected and returned to you?

legit
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/16 17:08:58 (permalink)
    Honestly, I don't know anymore. It says RMA: Completed but I never received any e-mails from Taiwan support indicating it was rejected but I've been Googling that defective cards would usually get immediate replacements rather than being sent back the same card. So either they 1)found nothing and sent it back 2)made minor fixes and sent it back 3)rejected RMA. If either 1) or 3) occurred, I just wasted $90 AUD to ship it to Taiwan for no reason and it 'fixed' itself for a bit being hotboxed during transit. The thing is, 2) seemed likely considering OC Scanner was fixed (though you can see these problems are at stock clocks/any high core clock is due to GPU Boost 4.0 and low temps initially), temps are higher than usual (80% fan speed for 70-75 degrees while I couldn't crack 67/68 before with fans on auto so fan % was mostly in the 60s - this is with side panel off - 3 x 120MM intakes and 3 x 120MM exhaust - don't think it's a bad case considering my AIO keeps my CPU quite cool relative to comparables). But as you said before, guesswork unless EVGA tells me more at this point. 

Got the card back on the Friday so I'll e-mail them on Monday. Will technical support be able to look up RMA processing information if I call? General customer service is closed for the weekend. This was why I was interested in knowing what was done in the first place. 

This has happened twice for me sporadically, once when starting Superposition and once when starting Metro: Exodus where it looks like smearing:

post edited by legit - 2019/03/16 17:37:17
    JacobB
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 522
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/16 19:33:58 (permalink)
    legit
    Honestly, I don't know anymore. It says RMA: Completed but I never received any e-mails from Taiwan support indicating it was rejected but I've been Googling that defective cards would usually get immediate replacements rather than being sent back the same card. So either they 1)found nothing and sent it back 2)made minor fixes and sent it back 3)rejected RMA. If either 1) or 3) occurred, I just wasted $90 AUD to ship it to Taiwan for no reason and it 'fixed' itself for a bit being hotboxed during transit. The thing is, 2) seemed likely considering OC Scanner was fixed (though you can see these problems are at stock clocks/any high core clock is due to GPU Boost 4.0 and low temps initially), temps are higher than usual (80% fan speed for 70-75 degrees while I couldn't crack 67/68 before with fans on auto so fan % was mostly in the 60s - this is with side panel off - 3 x 120MM intakes and 3 x 120MM exhaust - don't think it's a bad case considering my AIO keeps my CPU quite cool relative to comparables). But as you said before, guesswork unless EVGA tells me more at this point. 

Got the card back on the Friday so I'll e-mail them on Monday. Will technical support be able to look up RMA processing information if I call? General customer service is closed for the weekend. This was why I was interested in knowing what was done in the first place. 

This has happened twice for me sporadically, once when starting Superposition and once when starting Metro: Exodus where it looks like smearing:

Those are some pretty colors ๐Ÿ™ƒ We may need to look into an RMA for that card. One crucial thing though, Does this sort of coloring / artifacting show up in a screenshot, or no?

Can you send me a PM of what your serial number is so I can take a look into this a little bit for you? I can let you know a little more information on how your RMA was processed, as well as how we could potentially move forward.

-Jacob B.
    legit
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/16 20:31:13 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JacobB
    legit

Those are some pretty colors ๐Ÿ™ƒ We may need to look into an RMA for that card. One crucial thing though, Does this sort of coloring / artifacting show up in a screenshot, or no?

Can you send me a PM of what your serial number is so I can take a look into this a little bit for you? I can let you know a little more information on how your RMA was processed, as well as how we could potentially move forward.

-Jacob B.

That's a good question. I haven't actually taken a screenshot of it using print screen. I'll be sure to do so when it does pop up again. Will also probably now replace the HDMI cable I'm currently using to see if it's a possible contributor. That is a factor that hasn't changed yet. PMed, thanks. 

JacobB
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 522
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/16 20:37:29 (permalink)
    Sounds good! Keep us updated on if anything changes!

I saw your PM and replied. ๐Ÿ‘

-Jacob B.
    _JeffP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 652
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/16 21:35:49 (permalink)
    legit
    Hi, 

I just RMAed my card to EVGA Taiwan recently and the same card came back 30 minutes ago. But it works! And it seems to be even better considering I got an actual FPS increase in benchmarks (122 vs 113 in Valley benchmark so that's pretty substantial) and the fact that OC Scanner also works as well (it was throwing up a weird error before this). Is it possible to have details as to what was wrong with the card itself/what was done? I'm genuinely curious as I spent an entire evening testing different configurations/drivers and another system but stock clocks just resulted in crashes or artifacts (see other thread)

Replacements with Taiwan do work a little differently depending on the country of origin and the customs laws. In some counties the same serial number must be returned or it is considered a new purchase and fully taxed for RMAs. 

The card did not pass our internal tests and the images above do not reflect the issue we saw with the card that was sent back to us. I have asked our Taiwan team to look into this when they are in the office tomorrow. 

Everything is security. 
    legit
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/17 23:15:23 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JacobB
    Sounds good! Keep us updated on if anything changes!

I saw your PM and replied. ๐Ÿ‘

-Jacob B.

My card has entered the black screen loop. 

Was trying to finish my Metro Exodus game on Sunday night (Australian time)  and ~1.5 hours in, the second grey screen crash of the day (first one seemed inconsequential as a reboot was fine) has led to the black screen loop. I did notice during that time when temps spiked up to 74-75 (80-85% fan speed as more than that is just unbearably loud), some minor artifacts could be seen but it was still completely playable (so I think temps may be a problem for perhaps memory and not so much the core once core is around those temps).

Spent a few hours trying to figure out the cause and my system is now barebones, underclocked RAM and CPU. I'm experiencing something similar to Locodawg over at https://forums.evga.com/Issues-with-2070-Black-and-41634-Drivers-m2870175.aspx
    and to what these guys seem to be experiencing:
    https://forums.geforce.co...nvidia-drivers-issue-/

I can boot into safe mode, DDU, install drivers. But once Windows is is attempting to boot after the load screen, system halts and black screen. I can only enter safe mode at this point. If I DDU drivers again and install nothing, I might be lucky and get into Windows to install drivers but once that happens, immediate black screen and system halts (keyboard unresponsive as Num lock would no longer work). I can also attempt to boot into Windows if I switch PCI-E slots and no drivers are installed but once that is done, black screen. I've run DDU countless times and alternated between the recent two 419 drivers and December's 417 drivers. The moment nvidia drivers are installed, the screen blacks out and system halts. Switched around with a few different HDMI cables (1.4 and 2.0 rated) with no go. Also attempted with my housemate's 27" monitor (both our monitors are only have HDMI or VGA but mine is a 24" Samsung monitor).

I've gone off and bought another power supply (albeit, the one I'm currently using isn't exactly a slouch as it's a 1 month old 650w Fractal PSU 80+ Bronze) to help eliminate the possibility of it being a problem but I have low hopes now. Talked to an EVGA rep on tech line (Alan? Allen?) an hour ago and situation seems grim if these usual solutions aren't working. At least he did admit that it's a common nvidia problem. Neat fact but I'll try with the PSU this evening and we'll see how it goes but I'm not holding my breath. I'm currently using an old graphics card and it works fine booting into Windows and running normally.

EVGATech_JeffP
    legit
    Hi, 

Replacements with Taiwan do work a little differently depending on the country of origin and the customs laws. In some counties the same serial number must be returned or it is considered a new purchase and fully taxed for RMAs. 

The card did not pass our internal tests and the images above do not reflect the issue we saw with the card that was sent back to us. I have asked our Taiwan team to look into this when they are in the office tomorrow. 

Thanks, it is Australia and I'm quite new there so I'm not too familiar with the tax laws compared to Canada if that is the case.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/17 23:34:15 (permalink)
    If you have a TV you might want to try hooking the computer into the TV to see if the televisions HDMI cable and the TV screen show the same image errors. Since most people have a television now with HDMI it makes a really easy test bed to rule out the cable and the monitor.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

_JeffP
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/17 23:35:43 (permalink)
    Hi legit, 

Please respond to the email from our Taiwan team with these new details so that they can assist with a replacement for you.

Everything is security. 
    legit
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/19 02:18:27 (permalink)
    Finally found a friend with a decent enough computer here in Australia with a system housing a GTX 1070 Ti and lugging over my monitor. Result: Black screen after attempting driver installs from either 417.xx, 418.xx, and 419.xx series with the 2070. Happens with either my monitor or his (AOC 32" 1440p). Re-install his 1070 Ti and what a surprise (/s), his system works again without having to enter safe mode to DDU/clean install drivers. Now I owe him a beer for saving my sanity. Spent more money to buy a new PSU and memory only to figure out it's still the bloody card.

EVGATech_JeffP
    Hi legit, 

Please respond to the email from our Taiwan team with these new details so that they can assist with a replacement for you.

Thanks, I did but it seems the pace of things are abysmal with Taiwan e-mailing out once a day and usually in the afternoon due to limited # of people working based on my last few e-mails being with only one person so communicating is a big negative factor already. The implication in our recent contact then is once I finish responding after I attempt a bunch of troubleshooting steps that I've mostly done (with a few already explained in the e-mail prior...) while some were just headache-inducing (how am I going to provide more artifact pictures when I can't even install drivers without a black screen? Makes you wonder if the e-mail was read through or just skimmed), is I'll be forking out another $90 out of pocket to ship to EVGA for another attempt to fix the card. Meanwhile, the EVGA tech in California was more than willing to provide a shipping label had I been in NA. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considering the uncertainty of receiving another defective card or the exact same card (the exact same sticker slant compared to the image I took before sending in the card) with a non-permanent fix or whatnot, at that point, shipping to EVGA again means it's $180 gone total (lol, could've just bought a brand new  Tier 2 brand RTX 2080 for another $50 locally then) for an unreliable solution and potentially more if I have to keep going through this back and forth.  TW didn't even bother telling me what went wrong with the card in the first place and what was actually done to fix it although Jeff likely did ask them to. I mean, how do I even know the prior attempted fix if one even happened fixed things properly or not bork the card in a different manner? But I digress. I've been quite cordial throughout but continued frustration and downtime with this has made me give up. Medical school has been taxing enough, dealing with this has just tacked on even more needless frustration in life.

Consequently, I'm just gonna spend the $90 to ship it back to the retailer in the US instead since I've still got another week on my return window and cut my losses with lessons learnt. It's been fun buying solely EVGA since 2006 and recommending you guys but when it comes to the only RMA I've ever had to do through all my EVGA products, this has been a disappointing experience. Might be great in NA/EU, but I think it's just not a feasible option for anyone to bother buying EVGA outside of it. The notion of being provided an international warranty is great in theory, but the execution when one needs it has been left me pretty much screwed to put it quite crudely. 
    post edited by legit - 2019/03/19 02:20:15
    _JeffP
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/19 04:46:37 (permalink)
    I'm sorry you feel that way, the average response time in all regions is a day for every message we receive and messages do say it could be up to 48 hours for a reply. 

Everything is security. 
    legit
    Re: RMA Completed - interested in details/consequences of RMA testing 2019/03/19 06:20:01 (permalink)
    Perhaps a final update for anyone else reading this who has to go through with this black screen stuff, it's likely your card is FUBARed anyway so don't waste $ replacing too many parts or time trying to diagnose it/fix it like me. A friend's GTX 1070 Ti installed in his system passed driver installation just fine after putting in this EVGA RTX 2070 of mine in his system which didn't make it pass the installation of drivers unless he booted into safe mode (only to end up in my same loop).

But after 2 days of troubleshooting and constant attempts to get past a black screen after driver installation, here's the wonderful result after managing to finally boot once into Windows:

What I sent in 2 weeks ago ( https://forums.evga.com/R...ifacts-m2929137.aspx):
    https://streamable.com/23gfg

What it is today when I finally got it to load Windows: https://streamable.com/rn1ij

Running at stock 7GHz either artifacts or just immediately crashes like before with any major load on the GPU:

But if I downclock it by 500MHz, magic: https://streamable.com/h9hy3

Deja vu, it's as if I did the exact same thing in my initial complaint when RMAing and yet here we are. If you end up with the exact same card during your RMA, remember to scrutinize the process harder than I did because you may have gotten shafted with a 'repair'. 

post edited by legit - 2019/03/19 06:25:39
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile