Questions about my new PSU...

Author
JZUnconquered
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/08 20:00:30 (permalink)
Hey,

So I just replaced the stock PSU on my premade computer (was about 3 years old and I was getting weird hitches and stuff with the system, as well as the fan seemed to be going out, so I swapped).  I'm not super computer knowledgeable, so I went to my local PC store, and told them the hardware in my system and they recommended the EVGA 650 BQ.  They put it in and fired it up and all was good.

Got home, and noticed that the fan was a lot louder at idle than my last one.  Fair enough, it's about half the price.  However, when I start gaming, playing anything that requires any real power from my machine, it turns into a freaking jet engine.  Like it seems incredibly loud. Posting a video to show...

(The video is fairly long lol, I loaded up a game and moved around just to get things going, you can just skip through a minute at a time and hear the difference as it gets going more and more.  I've also noticed that I'm getting new frame drops in games that ran fine before...)

So my 2 questions are the following:
1) Is this an appropriate amount of sound from this device?  If so, I guess I can learn to live with it.
2) Using an i7-6700k and a Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC, as well as 2 monitors, an HDD and an SSD, is it possible this guy recommended something too weak, even though I told him my main concern was having enough power for everything?

Thanks for your time.

edit Cool GTX YouTube Video
post edited by JZUnconquered - 2019/03/08 20:58:25

11 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/08 20:36:04 (permalink)
    Congrats on your first Post  

Sorry your having issues with your PC

Fixed your Video for you

I did not hear any sound when playing it ?  (like zero sound, not sure if it is my system or the Video has a sound issue)

Try these tools 

https://www.evga.com/power-meter/

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

You can learn Many things about the Forums --->   The ultimate starter-thread for new members

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

JZUnconquered
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/08 20:54:10 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thank you for your reply.  I did check a couple calculators and they both came up around 480ish, so yeah, in theory 650 should be fine.  I don't know, the game that I was having consistent lag issues with was Fallout 76, but I just loaded up Final Fantasy 15 and that was running near flawlessly on max graphics, a couple stutters but nothing huge.  So maybe that was just the game.

Weird about the audio on the video, I clicked your embedded link and it came across okay for me...   It does start out incredibly quiet, but gets progressively louder through the video.  Might have to turn your speakers up to hear anything, I did record it on my phone and that doesn't have the greatest audio quality.

Also, I was putting my hand behind the PSU to feel the air, while I was testing everything with FF15.  The air flow is good, and fairly strong (doesn't seem quite as strong as the sound accompanying it would imply, but strong nonetheless) - the air feels relatively cool.  I know it sounds silly for me to be concerned about that, but shouldn't the air being blown out of the PSU be hot, or at least warm?

Thank you again for taking the time to assist me
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/08 21:05:37 (permalink)
    I did play other videos after your & the worked -- maybe I need to max my sound ?

The PSU fan running fast & loud .... I'm not sure what that is all about

It does not sound like anything is hitting the fan ?

You are positive it is the PSU & not the Graphic card fan or a case fan ?

PSU EVGA 650BQ

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

JZUnconquered
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/08 21:16:30 (permalink)
    Yeah, 100% sure.  My GPU has a very distinct sound to the fan, more of a mechanical sound that I got very used to while I had my old power supply, and my case and CPU fans run at near constant speeds at all times, which I observe in HWMonitor...

The PSU is the only other fan in my system that could possibly be generating noise.  Does not sound at all like anything is hitting the fan
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/08 21:20:36 (permalink)
    Maybe another Forums member can give you a better answer - if they can hear the Video

Sorry I can't do more right now

Customer Service is 24/7 with EVGA  https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Make sure your register the PSU to your Forum account first - so they can see the details

GL

JZUnconquered
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/08 21:26:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for trying, I will look into contacting Customer Service tomorrow, getting late for me here :)

Appreciate your help
    Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/10 11:13:57 (permalink)
    I would also ensure that the power supply is getting properly airflow, if the power supply is being chocked off and the fan is not intaking any air, the fan will sound off like a jet. Double check and make sure that the fan is faced towards an open area or a vent.

If the issues persist, contact us by opening a support ticket.
    JZUnconquered
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/11 04:45:17 (permalink)
    Yeah, it's got lots of room for airflow, I can't see that being the issue
    JZUnconquered
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/13 08:49:04 (permalink)
    So I ended up calling the store that I bought  the power supply from, and they said it's not something I should be too concerned about.  As I said above, I can live with it, but I was concerned something may be wrong.

I think going forward I'm just going to keep a close eye on it, my temperatures, and voltages, and not worry unless something seems really out of whack.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/13 08:58:19 (permalink)
    keep us updated in a week or two

sooner if something changes

Post #8  contact EVGA with a support ticket 

If the PSU has an issue - Time is important:    https://www.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/

(excerpt)
    If an RMA is necessary within 30 days of the original purchase date of a new in box Product, a new in box OEM replacement will be sent to the Original Purchaser in return, subject to availability.

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Questions about my new PSU... 2019/03/13 09:48:53 (permalink)
    I was going to say make sure you register the PSU and upload your receipt.....

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile