EVGA

Question from a laptop full-time user & casual player: Should I buy EVGA SC17?

Author
marcin_k_g
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/01/28 05:03:49 (permalink)
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this forum, it is nice to e-meet you! Thanks in advance for reading this post.

Some info about me as a user:
  1. I need a mobile machine - I travel from time to time. At the same time, I like a tank-like, heavy duty, but also relatively slim builds.
  2. I work a lot with text editors, and read a lot, so 17,3" screen is a must.
  3. I currently own Dell Precision M6400, and what I love about it is its longevity and reliability. I have been using it extensively for the past 7 years,, 7 days a week, over 10 hours a day, and it never let me down. I cannot stress it enough: I use my laptop for a full-time work, so I need a good, reliable machine. I am looking for something with a lifespan of 5 to 7 years. Especially if I am going to spend so much money on it.
  4. Performance is not that important to me, but I am a casual gamer, and I don't want to be limited by a hardware anymore - my good old Dell is a huge limitation in this respect. I'd like to have something that would let me play AAA titles for next 3 to 5 years. Again: I know I can't expect great performance after using this machine for, let's say, 3 years from now on, but I am not that much into high performance.
OK, so just to wrap it all up: I need a reliable and long-living, portable machine good for both work (mainly with text editors) and some AAA gaming. EVGA SC17 costs a lot (I live in Poland, so the price hurts even more), but since I change laptop every 5-7 years, I am ready to spend such amount of money on a notebook.

Do you think that this laptop would be a right choice for me? Also, how is EVGA customer service? What discourages me is the fact that if anything happens, I will have to ship the device at my own cost to Germany (so abroad) for a repair. This means that possible maintenance IS expensive and takes long time even during warranty period.

And one more thing: even after browsing this forum I've noticed plenty of people having problems with black screens, artifacts etc... This does not look too good - after paying such amount of money for a laptop, I would expect it to run smoothly from the moment I buy it till I buy the new one ;) So: is it that bad?

I am looking forward to hear from you! :)
post edited by marcin_k_g - 2018/01/28 06:47:54

3 Replies Related Threads

xvga1
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: Question from a laptop full-time user & casual player: Should I buy EVGA SC17? 2018/01/28 05:20:58 (permalink)
    Forget SC17. I would advise you to look elsewhere as EVGA is currently trying their best to piss off their laptop customers. SC17 has issues with power adapter, and if you were to read the forum, the replacements haven't been reliable as well as they tend to fail, unlike what EVGA claims. The Power adapter which was in stock has been taken out of the product page by EVGA.

Apparently, EVGA is insecure about the performance of power adapters which were shipped with the laptops during recent sales and wants to use the whatever stock they have for replacements. So, you can't buy it anymore just in case you wanted some level of redundancy, or after the warranty is over.

And before you think of using some 3rd party laptop adapter, do take a look at the specifications. As SC17 laptop adapter has output DC 19V 240Watts. Razer Pro power adapter has this specification, but the adapter output jack is incompatible.
    post edited by xvga1 - 2018/01/28 05:30:12
    vistarshook
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 344
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Question from a laptop full-time user & casual player: Should I buy EVGA SC17? 2018/01/28 06:28:51 (permalink)
    The SC17 hasn't been around for very long, so hard to say what the reliability is after 5 years.  Plus EVGA has informed us, that after the 2 year warranty is up, they won't service their laptops, even as a paid service, or even sell parts for self repair or at a third party service center.  So if reliability for over 2 years is a concern, it would be hard to recommend it with the current state of affairs.

EVGA SC17 4K G-SYNC | i7-7820HK | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Samsung 960 Pro 2TB + 2TB Micron 1100| Firestrike | CB15@4.9GHz
    Razer Blade 14 FHD | i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Samsung SM961 1TB | Firestrike

YogSothoth
    • Total Posts : 60
    Re: Question from a laptop full-time user & casual player: Should I buy EVGA SC17? 2018/01/29 17:16:15 (permalink)
    I am really happy with the quality of my SC17, other than the fact that it often craps out when it tries to wake from hibernation. The harware seems to be very good, and I am really happy with the most critical components--display, trackpad, and keyboard. The couple of times I have contacted support I have been REALLY happy with their help, too. 

Knowing that EVGA won't provide any service after 2 years means that it is still hard to recommend to users who want to hold on to a laptop for a long time. I probably would not have bought my SC17 if not for the crazy Xmas sale, but at half off I was willing to give it a chance. 

If EVGA gives us the long-term support these nice machines deserve I'll be first in line to send 'em a nice fruit basket. 

(FWIW my last laptop was a 17" Macbook Pro which I have literally used for TEN YEARS. In that time I replaced the battery twice and a cooling fan once. So I do like hanging on to hardware a long time too!)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile