EVGA

Helpful ReplyQuestion about the "OVP/UVP Protections" in the EVGA SuperNova GA series

Author
metalone4
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/07/19 17:55:14 (permalink)
I have a 850w SuperNova GA and am very pleased with it so far. Per the EVGA website, I read that it has all kinds of power/voltage protections built in, including Over Voltage and Under Voltage protections. Now, with my recent build, instead of buying an expensive UPS like I have in the past, I opted for an inexpensive APC surge protector (with great reviews). I'm not too worried about surges, because I've done all I can in that regard, but what about brownouts? Will this PSU protect from power losses, sags, and brownouts?

I live near Phoenix, AZ and sometimes high load during the Summer and "critters" getting into the power company's equipment cause intermittent outages. So should I buy a UPS for protection from that or will my GA series PSU protect from that, including protecting itself?

Not nearly concerned about data corruption, so shutting down gracefully isn't required lol. Thanks!
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: Question about the "OVP/UVP Protections" in the EVGA SuperNova GA series 2020/07/19 21:34:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby metalone4 2020/07/20 01:16:32
That PSU should operate normally within the Min/Max AC Input of 100-240V and automatically compensate for variations.

Over Voltage, Under Voltage, and other protections are only for the PSU outputs (12V/5V/3.3V) and not the AC line voltage.

If you have a brownout and the AC line voltage drops below the 100V minimum, the PSU would probably just shut off.

I think just a surge protector, because of protection from lightning strikes/overvoltage on the AC input, would be better for you since you're not worried about a graceful shutdown..A UPS would keep your PC running in the event of a power failure/brownout and likely also have protection from lightning strikes/overvoltage on the AC input too..Just my opinion.

PSU Protections

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

metalone4
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Question about the "OVP/UVP Protections" in the EVGA SuperNova GA series 2020/07/20 01:18:44 (permalink)
Ah, I see. That was very helpful, thanks! I like the PSU even more now knowing how it would behave in a brownout. :)
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile