Quantum Supremacy

Author
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 48
2019/11/09 07:38:18 (permalink)

It's exciting and worrisome, getting onto the wrong hands, all at once.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ

13 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/09 09:56:00 (permalink)
    If they push past quantum annealing into true quantum computing territory, the abilities will become terrifying. At that point, I think the project would be shut down, purchased by the US government, become highly regulated, and building and owning a quantum computer would be made illegal. It would be regulated like a new weapon of mass destruction and there would be alliances and treaties put in place. A true quantum computer could effortlessly break the encryption which is the backbone of our communication and financial system.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/09 17:16:05 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    If they push past quantum annealing into true quantum computing territory, the abilities will become terrifying. At that point, I think the project would be shut down, purchased by the US government, become highly regulated, and building and owning a quantum computer would be made illegal. It would be regulated like a new weapon of mass destruction and there would be alliances and treaties put in place. A true quantum computer could effortlessly break the encryption which is the backbone of our communication and financial system.

Scary stuff m8.

Check this article out which pretty much sums up what you stated and than some.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18916
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/09 20:50:03 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    A true quantum computer could effortlessly break the encryption which is the backbone of our communication and financial system.

Not if the financial systems etc were also upgraded to quantum encryption. Same as how current computer systems would effortlessly break any 'code' that was deemed secure decades ago.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/10 06:19:43 (permalink)
    Nereus
    ty_ger07
    A true quantum computer could effortlessly break the encryption which is the backbone of our communication and financial system.

Not if the financial systems etc were also upgraded to quantum encryption. Same as how current computer systems would effortlessly break any 'code' that was deemed secure decades ago.

Not the "same".  Encryption which becomes less secure over the years is largely just made more complex and run through a greater number of iterations to be made secure again.  Our encryption uses math, and to adjust the level of security, we control the complexity of the math in relation to the computational power available.  Shor's algorithm breaks the math problem so that the complexity of the math is irrelevant.  One is an iterative process, one is game-changing.  Shor's algorithm doesn't just run faster, Shor's algorithm breaks the math and converges on the solution effortlessly.

Do you think that every bank, every email account, every business (small and large), every server, every network, every computer, every phone, every app, EVERYTHING, will upgrade to quantum encryption in one day? No. That process would take years or decades. You can't simply say that the banks should upgrade to quantum encryption and then forget that everything that the banks communicate with would also need to support quantum encryption.

We don't know if it is even possible to create a true quantum computer; a requirement to run Shor's algorithm. Let's find that out first. But, IF it turns out to be possible, the research will suddenly shutdown and will be guarded and highly desirable, until the rest of our infrastructure catches up.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/11/10 06:44:58

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/10 11:15:30 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Nereus
    ty_ger07

Not the "same".  Encryption which becomes less secure over the years is largely just made more complex and run through a greater number of iterations to be made secure again.  Our encryption uses math, and to adjust the level of security, we control the complexity of the math in relation to the computational power available.  Shor's algorithm breaks the math problem so that the complexity of the math is irrelevant.  One is an iterative process, one is game-changing.  Shor's algorithm doesn't just run faster, Shor's algorithm breaks the math and converges on the solution effortlessly.

Do you think that every bank, every email account, every business (small and large), every server, every network, every computer, every phone, every app, EVERYTHING, will upgrade to quantum encryption in one day? No. That process would take years or decades. You can't simply say that the banks should upgrade to quantum encryption and then forget that everything that the banks communicate with would also need to support quantum encryption.

We don't know if it is even possible to create a true quantum computer; a requirement to run Shor's algorithm. Let's find that out first. But, IF it turns out to be possible, the research will suddenly shutdown and will be guarded and highly desirable, until the rest of our infrastructure catches up.

"until the rest of our infrastructure catches up" ..yes, that is my point, it WILL catch up - they will have to, or they will fail.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/10 11:24:04 (permalink)
    Nereus
    ty_ger07
    Nereus
    ty_ger07

"until the rest of our infrastructure catches up" ..yes, that is my point, it WILL catch up - they will have to, or they will fail.

The one will not happen until the other.  Your response seemed to indicate that financial systems should upgrade to quantum encryption preemptively.  I don't think that will happen for the majority.  Therefore, what I said stands.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/10 11:47:32 (permalink)
    fast changing landscape can leave a void ... chicken or egg ... the quantum computing needs to come first though it will render all current security
    meaningless ................ so, Governments will try to contain ... for obvious reasons

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/10 11:51:42 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Nereus
    ty_ger07
    Nereus
    ty_ger07

The one will not happen until the other.  Your response seemed to indicate that financial systems should upgrade to quantum encryption preemptively.  I don't think that will happen for the majority.  Therefore, what I said stands.

LOL.. how the heck could they upgrade to quantum encryption preemptively if it doesn't exist yet? lol... wow ok.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/10 11:56:52 (permalink)
    Nereus

LOL.. how the heck could they upgrade to quantum encryption preemptively if it doesn't exist yet? lol... wow ok.

It does already exist.  The first video in the first post of this thread features working quantum encryption.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/10 11:58:08 (permalink)
    hardware dongles for security ... with a moving code that fit the encryption algorithem

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/10 12:54:41 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Nereus

It does already exist.  The first video in the first post of this thread features working quantum encryption.

It's not commercially viable. yet. Surely you realize what I mean, or do I need to spell out every last thing? Can we stop this now?

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/10 15:32:56 (permalink)
    I am glad that you agree.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Quantum Supremacy 2019/11/10 16:11:30 (permalink)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile