AnsweredQ: 3080ti FTW3 hybrid pump noise fix: Radiator fan control question

Author
Stolperstein_
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/09/25 22:57:58 (permalink)
Hi there!

I've got a few questions in regards to the pump noise fix and how are the radiator fans being controlled.

As far as the tutorials for the pump noise fix go, it seems easy enough:
- connect the pump to a mainboard fan header
- apply a fan curve in the BIOS (most say in 'voltage' mode, some also 'PWM' ... which one is it?)
- enjoy

But what happens to the radiator fans - since they are - as far as I can see - attached to the pump? The tutorials dont mention them at all.

- First a few questions regarding the out-of-the-box vanilla config:
   - Are the pump RPM and the radiator fan RPM basically linked in the vanilla config?
   - I always thought the pump was always runnig at full speed and only the fans vary depending on your profile.
   - If that's actually the case, how does it work internally?

- As far the pump noise fix:
   - Would you leave the radiator fans connected to the pump which doesnt seem like the best idea?
   - Or would you connect them directly to the graphics card - and if so: to the header the pump was originally connected to or the other free header (where I think the non-hybrid fans of the air cooled version are usually connected to)?

I know I could attach the radiator fans to the mainboard as well, but since I'd need third-party software for control (mb doesnt monitor the graphics card temps) I'd rather not.

Thanks for any tips ^^
post edited by Stolperstein_ - 2022/09/25 23:06:30
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 29451
  • Ribbons : 120
Re: Q: 3080ti FTW3 hybrid pump noise fix: Radiator fan control question 2022/09/26 06:03:06 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Stolperstein_ 2022/09/26 06:16:54
EVGA - Articles - Evga 30-Series Hybrid

with EVGA X1 - set fan curve

Or run fans from MB or better a fan Hub

I have not noticed any "pump noise" on any of my EVGA 30 series Hybrid .... no active cooling solution is totally silent, even fans make some sound

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee
RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK 2xEVGA2080Ti EVGA1200P2  Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra 1600P2
Everyone Saves $$$ @EVGA.com use ANYONE's Associate code @ checkout -->  SAVE (on most items) 3% - 10%
Stolperstein_
Re: Q: 3080ti FTW3 hybrid pump noise fix: Radiator fan control question 2022/09/26 06:25:41 (permalink)
In idle the pump is the loudest part of my system. I RMA'd my first card bc of a _really_ loud/unhealthy noise that initially only lastet for a few seconds at boot, but after a few months actually got persistent. The replacement luckily doesn't have this weird effect at all, nevertheless I'd like to minimize the volume of the pump hum.

The mod/fix connects the pump directly to the motherboard where you can tune the pump to your needs via the BIOS.
Since the fans are (originally) connected to the pump, X1 doesn't do anything.
Unless you can plug the fans directly into on of the card headers, which actually was one of my questions. ;)

Also I was actually curious on how the vanilla connection actually works, having the pump and 2 fans connected via a single 4-wire.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Q: 3080ti FTW3 hybrid pump noise fix: Radiator fan control question 2022/09/26 06:36:39 (permalink)
that was what I was talking about - sorry if it was not clear

Yes, radiator fans can be connected to MB or better a fan Hub

Cavitation would be loud (air trapped in pump)

other members have written about slowing the pump to lessen the sound / "improve sound quality"

My system is Never idle, unless I'm updating OS

I run my setup @ max/ near max fans 24/7 - based on my curve

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee
RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK 2xEVGA2080Ti EVGA1200P2  Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra 1600P2
Everyone Saves $$$ @EVGA.com use ANYONE's Associate code @ checkout -->  SAVE (on most items) 3% - 10%
Stolperstein_
Re: Q: 3080ti FTW3 hybrid pump noise fix: Radiator fan control question 2022/09/26 06:42:56 (permalink)
I dont want to connect the fans to the MB bc I'd still like the nuanced fan control via X1 (and not any additional fan control sofware).
After all the big question should be: what's the difference between the blue and black fan connectors on the card. ^^
One of them is used for the hybrid kit and the other one for the fans of the regular air cooled card?

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Q: 3080ti FTW3 hybrid pump noise fix: Radiator fan control question 2022/09/26 07:11:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Stolperstein_ 2022/09/26 07:57:47
the three fans on air cooler are Zoned ... different GPU sections control different fans

https://www.evga.com/technology/icx3/

Hybrid is connected to the GPU die "zone"

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3537265

The regular fans are controlled by PWM, but the aux fan header is controlled by voltage.
------------------
My Note: about the reference above:
     regular fans = on cooler

aux fan = is external fan header - on end of card - used to add a fan to card

EVGA GeForce RTX 3090/3080 FTW3 HYBRID Kit Installation Guide

Stolperstein_
Re: Q: 3080ti FTW3 hybrid pump noise fix: Radiator fan control question 2022/09/26 07:57:43 (permalink)
Cool GTX
the three fans on air cooler are Zoned ... different GPU sections control different fans

Thanks. So I probably should avoid using that header for controlling fans on the radiator.
Leaves the question of whether or not it's possible/recommended to plug in the radiator fans directly into the header originally used for the pump. ^^
rgarvey58
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Q: 3080ti FTW3 hybrid pump noise fix: Radiator fan control question 2022/09/26 08:35:33 (permalink)
Stolperstein_
In idle the pump is the loudest part of my system. I RMA'd my first card bc of a _really_ loud/unhealthy noise that initially only lastet for a few seconds at boot, but after a few months actually got persistent. The replacement luckily doesn't have this weird effect at all, nevertheless I'd like to minimize the volume of the pump hum.

The mod/fix connects the pump directly to the motherboard where you can tune the pump to your needs via the BIOS.
Since the fans are (originally) connected to the pump, X1 doesn't do anything.
Unless you can plug the fans directly into on of the card headers, which actually was one of my questions. ;)

Also I was actually curious on how the vanilla connection actually works, having the pump and 2 fans connected via a single 4-wire.

The pump on my 3080 12GB hybrid was loud for the first week, and then seems to have smoothed out (or I just got used to the noise). There are many stories of pump noise, and it seems luck of the drawer on the unit. I did notice slight variation based on how I had the tubes positioned, as well as mounting position (tubes up/down). 

Regarding the fans... I am using FanControl (free) and it identifies 2 fan headers for "GeForce RTX 3080". The first fan controls the fan on the shroud. The second fan controls the 2 fans on the radiator. The fans are plugged into the graphics card for this configuration. I create a custom curve based on the GPU temp and it controls the radiator fans. It is an option in FanControl to plug the fans into a MB header and create a fan curve based on GPU temp. I'd assumed P X1 was the same or even more granular as you can control each of the 3 fans individually. 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile