Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bengurwell
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/08/15 11:19:19 (permalink)
I recently upgraded from a 650 watt EVGA PSU to a 1000 watt EVGA PSU. Both PSUs were modular, so I thought "Great! I won't have to run cables all throughout the case, I can just swap out the PSU and reconnect the cables at the back and everything should start right up because this is the same brand and it's a modular system with unique plugs that can't be plugged into the wrong place."

Yeah, that assumption cost me two HDDs, so I just want to implore EVGA to please, for the love of God, put a $0.30 sticker over the back of the unit that says "DO NOT USE OLD CABLES WITH THIS NEW UNIT, DAMAGE COULD OCCUR, PLEASE CHECK ANY THIRD PARTY CABLES FOR COMPATIBILITY, GO TO THIS SITE FOR MORE ON CHECKING COMPATIBILITY".

Look, I'm an idiot. I assumed that these cables, all with unique pin layouts that aren't interchangeable with other ports, would be compatible with the same brand on a newer model. I've built five PCs over the last 20 years, and I have never run into any kind of situation where if something plugs into that uniquely shaped port, that it would cause damage to another component.

I'm not asking for any kind of compensation, but please understand that this issue has been brought up time and time again. Somebody could have several separate drives backing up their system, filled with priceless information and it can all be wiped out in an instant simply by making an assumption that I think lots of people would make.

So yeah yeah, I'm an idiot. Read the instructions. Bla bla bla. I still think that there is responsibility of the company to put a warning label on this. Given that I could have lost a lot more than just my hard drives. I've heard stories about this completely nuking motherboards, graphics cards, etc.
post edited by bengurwell - 2022/08/15 12:18:31

40 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 11:23:39 (permalink)
    By any chance did you open the manual that comes with your PSU?

Many companies use the same exact modular ports, because they are easier to get parts when the parts are the same. EVGA very clearly states not to use cables from a different power supply unless they are specifically labeled to work with your PSU.

Heck, a user last year wanted EVGA to replace his NuAudio card because he took cables from a corsair PSU and plugged them into a seasonic power supply if I am not mistaken.

Everyone, from every company, stresses to use the cables that come with the PSU, and not to reuse cables.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2022/08/15 11:29:00
    bengurwell
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 11:32:42 (permalink)
    Yes, let's just keep letting it happen then rather than solving the problem easily. Nothing can be improved. Caveat emptor.

🙄

Edit: Look, the point of this post isn't to assign blame. Yes, I think it is bad that the same manufacturer has different layouts with identical cords, but that's fine if they need to change it up to make something fit or to improve the design. I'm just saying that this is an EXTREMELY easy assumption to make. Same brand, same cable ports, etc. Yes, it's in tiny red letters in the manual. Not everyone reads the manual on basic stuff, which is one of the main reasons for standards.
    post edited by bengurwell - 2022/08/15 12:02:47
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 12:02:18 (permalink)
    But, reading the manual resolves the issue. Ignoring warnings is the problem. 

Flat accessory cables that come from the 650 BQ/GQ line are not compatible with most of EVGA's other PSU's, because the BQ/GQ line was made by a different manufacturer.

Heed the warnings. They are there for a reason. 
    bengurwell
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 12:12:23 (permalink)
    I'm asking for a better warning. The current warning is poorly located. Most people don't read the manuals.

Do you read the entire manual of every product you buy? Of course not. You make assumptions all the time when buying standardized products.

That's why warning labels for extremely important things exist. This seems like one of those things that warrants a label.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 12:13:47 (permalink)
    I agree that the warning is in the manual. I know most people don't read them (manuals), but when investing a large sum of money into a PC build you can never be too cautious. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 12:16:59 (permalink)
    Doubt evga is going to spend the money on a better warning when the warning is already in the manual. Don’t make assumptions when in doubt, and read the manual.
    bengurwell
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 12:18:11 (permalink)
    I just can't believe how people are pushing back against the concept of a warning label on something that is super easy to do and can destroy expensive equipment.

Am I in the twilight zone or something? I'm not even attacking EVGA, just saying a warning label would solve the problem.
    yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 12:26:02 (permalink)
    I think it is a fair ask.

He admitted he made a mistake, owned up to it and wants to put in a process that might help someone in the future.  We see so many people ask the same question here, it is probably something that needs to be bubbled to a little more prominence (like a warning sticker) than buried in a user manual. 

And we all agree that you should ultimately read the user manual, but this could help save a customer from unintended damage like the OP mentions.  We see warnings on other hardware parts (CPU sockets for example).

@bengurwell - I would maybe drop your suggestion in the suggestion box:
    https://www.evga.com/support/suggestions.asp

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 12:26:29 (permalink)
    bengurwell
    I'm asking for a better warning. The current warning is poorly located. Most people don't read the manuals.

Do you read the entire manual of every product you buy? Of course not. You make assumptions all the time when buying standardized products.

That's why warning labels for extremely important things exist. This seems like one of those things that warrants a label.

Do I read the warnings, yes. Just like buying a motherboard, if I buy a z690 motherboard a year from now, and a 13900k, I would read to see if the old motherboard is compatible with the new CPU before installing, or if I need an update… because that is what the manual informs the member of.. incompatibilities.

Also, the manual has the warning on the third page. Only takes one page flip to get there. You don’t have to read the entire manual, as there are only two warnings in there. Power supplies manuals are extremely short, with most of the manual being in different languages.

Sorry to hear about your hard drives, but hopefully in 5 or 10 years, if you replace your PSU, this reminder will sit in the back of your mind.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 12:40:02 (permalink)
    yaymz

He admitted he made a mistake, owned up to it and wants to put in a process that might help someone in the future.  We see so many people ask the same question here, it is probably something that needs to be bubbled to a little more prominence (like a warning sticker) than buried in a user manual. 

And we all agree that you should ultimately read the user manual, but this could help save a customer from unintended damage like the OP mentions.  We see warnings on other hardware parts (CPU sockets for example).

Buried in a user manual? There’s 6 pages in the entire manual, and the first page is cover art.. second page is the index, third page is introduction and warnings. The rest is pictures with explanations. The warnings are in bright red print, and the only thing in the entire manual that is red.

I would understand if the manual was hundreds of pages long… but 6 pages is too much to read?
    yaymz
    SSC Member
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 12:47:18 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    yaymz

Buried in a user manual? There’s 6 pages in the entire manual, and the first page is cover art.. second page is the index, third page is introduction and warnings. The rest is pictures with explanations. The warnings are in bright red print, and the only thing in the entire manual that is red.

I would understand if the manual was hundreds of pages long… but 6 pages is too much to read?

My response back would be "Is this an issue that keeps happening?".   If the answer is yes, then maybe the issue should get a little more prominence.  

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 13:03:10 (permalink)
    Hey, feel free to submit the suggestion.  Worse that happens is people ignore even more warnings. 
    bengurwell
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/15 13:44:29 (permalink)
    yaymz

My response back would be "Is this an issue that keeps happening?".   If the answer is yes, then maybe the issue should get a little more prominence.  

Thank you! This is exactly where I'm coming from. I will definitely post it in the suggestions. I messed up, I get it. It's just too easy to mess up.

If there are a larger than normal amount of wrecks at an intersection, the answer isn't telling people who wrecked to learn to drive better. The answer is finding out why it's happening and try to fix it. Maybe there are bushes in the way of a stop sign, or it's a very dark intersection at night and needs a light, or maybe it is busy enough to to warrant a traffic light or a flashing stop sign to increase visibility.

This is the mindset to have when you actually want to solve problems. I swear, some people just live to twist the knife and offer completely unhelpful tut-tutting.

Edit: suggestion posted.

Thanks again for seeing reason, and thanks to everyone else for telling me to read the manual, as that was truly helpful and something in retrospect I hadn't thought of even though I included it in my original post.
    post edited by bengurwell - 2022/08/15 13:58:42
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/16 03:30:43 (permalink)
    bengurwell
    yaymz

Thank you! This is exactly where I'm coming from. I will definitely post it in the suggestions. I messed up, I get it. It's just too easy to mess up.

If there are a larger than normal amount of wrecks at an intersection, the answer isn't telling people who wrecked to learn to drive better. The answer is finding out why it's happening and try to fix it. Maybe there are bushes in the way of a stop sign, or it's a very dark intersection at night and needs a light, or maybe it is busy enough to to warrant a traffic light or a flashing stop sign to increase visibility.

This is the mindset to have when you actually want to solve problems. I swear, some people just live to twist the knife and offer completely unhelpful tut-tutting.

Edit: suggestion posted.

Thanks again for seeing reason, and thanks to everyone else for telling me to read the manual, as that was truly helpful and something in retrospect I hadn't thought of even though I included it in my original post.

Sorry for annoying you, but clearly you didn't think of reading the manual before using the same cables from your old psu with a new different psu. If you had of then you wouldn't be in the situation you're currently in. I don't see evga spending money on this better warning you're wanting them to implement just because you fried your gear from assuming things would just work without reading the manual. EVGA has already done the responsible thing and provided a user manual for your psu which you failed to read.
    bengurwell
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/16 06:19:09 (permalink)
    Lol, you guys just have nothing to say other than "It's all your fault, read the manual", like a parrot repeating some phrase because neurons fire in their brains compelling them to bleet over and over. It's almost like I admitted that in my post and people can't read or something. I lost nothing but some old backup drives, I don't need any sympathy. This is just my reaction to my awareness of this issue that should never have existed in the first place.

Same company + same plug + different pin layout = this will continue to happen over and over.

I'm interested in seeing that never happen to anyone ever again. You're interested in rubbing salt in a wound. It's that simple.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/16 06:50:00 (permalink)
    As mentioned previously go ahead and submit a suggestion. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/16 10:32:30 (permalink)
    austin86
    If you ask me the ATX spec should have a set pin out for cables on the PSU side, like why can't we just go back to using the 1-1 pin outs like on the PSU?

This was answered in a Gamers Nexus video about a month ago. There is a reason.
    The PSU side never was standardized. PSU manufacturers discovered that with 3.3v, 5v standby, 5v, 12v, and ground, the "standardized" output layout wasn't optimal. They could move the different power busses around to reduce the trace length, improve current capabilities, reduce heating, make layout better match internal design, etcetera. Problem was that different manufacturers decided that different layouts were better than others for their design/in their opinion.
    So, now we have different pinouts.
    Things seem to slowly be moving towards a standard, or groups of standards.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/16 12:20:54 (permalink)
    Interesting. You should watch the video I mentioned. It is recorded straight out of the mouth of John Gerow himself.

Until you watch it, we'll summarize: PSU manufacturers found ways that they could improve their product by moving wires around. Since there was no standard which said that they couldn't, they did. Different manufacturers moved them to different places for different reasons.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/16 12:38:32 (permalink)
    austin86
    No one should believe anything a tech you tuber with a list of sponsor a miles long... Hes bout and sold like a politicians or anyone on tv, I mean he's no Jon Gerow

Awww, that’s fantastic. Maybe, just maybe, go watch the video.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2022/08/16 12:43:28
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/16 13:33:13 (permalink)
    austin86
    Maybe I should had pointed out that Jon Gerow had sold out too??? that should have been obvious. I mean he nuked his site, community and is now a lap dog for corsair so no more non bias info from him ether.

So you admit you are mad that he is making money actually making power supplies better, rather than just testing them?  Feel free to stay stale your entire life and never grow, but don't get mad at the people that build a name and then take a step in the direction they wanted to go to make the industry better. 

"CORPORATE SHILLS.. EVERY REVIEWER IS A CORPORATE SHILL.." blah blah. If you could get paid to discuss industry topics, you would.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/16 13:58:44 (permalink)
    bengurwell
    Lol, you guys just have nothing to say other than "It's all your fault, read the manual", like a parrot repeating some phrase because neurons fire in their brains compelling them to bleet over and over. It's almost like I admitted that in my post and people can't read or something. I lost nothing but some old backup drives, I don't need any sympathy. This is just my reaction to my awareness of this issue that should never have existed in the first place.

Same company + same plug + different pin layout = this will continue to happen over and over.

I'm interested in seeing that never happen to anyone ever again. You're interested in rubbing salt in a wound. It's that simple.

Not trying to rub anything in. Just find it ridiculous you think evga should implement a better warning because of your unwillingness to read a simple manual which already has the warning. Your suggestion is a good one, but you must realize it will cost evga money to implement your suggestion. The warning in the manual does its job. If someone else has the same issue as you, and wanted to put the blame on evga for having no warning on the psu itself evga would most likely point to the manual, and say the warning is in the manual, and that you’re still at fault.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/16 14:46:35 (permalink)
    I think it's reasonable to ask for the packaging to maybe have a warning on it and the link site were someone can check which EVGA PSU cables are compatible with what other EVGA PSU models. People are far more likely to notice warning on the back of a box than on a manual.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

BizSAR
    EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1712
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/17 10:18:13 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    I think it's reasonable to ask for the packaging to maybe have a warning on it and the link site were someone can check which EVGA PSU cables are compatible with what other EVGA PSU models. People are far more likely to notice warning on the back of a box than on a manual.

Agreed. I think a notice on packaging and/or a sticker reinforces good customer service. Nobody wants someone to damage their components. Suggestion was filed, we can do no more.
    There are a lot more novices building PCs these days, and no one likes to learn lessons like "RTFM" the hard way.

BizSAR
    EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
    yaymz
    SSC Member
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/17 12:48:53 (permalink)
    BizSAR
    Hoggle

Agreed. I think a notice on packaging and/or a sticker reinforces good customer service. Nobody wants someone to damage their components. Suggestion was filed, we can do no more.
    There are a lot more novices building PCs these days, and no one likes to learn lessons like "RTFM" the hard way.

To add, how much time do you think EVGA customer support has spent dealing with Phone calls, emails, RMAs that are directly related to this issue? 

At that point a sticker starts to sound like a money saving venture, rather than expenditure.

It's in the EVGA gods hands now, so we'll just have to wait to see if anything changes.

tinfever6
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/17 18:49:36 (permalink)
    Did you know there are at least three different pinouts of the same EVGA modular 24-pin ATX cable, all that are supposed to be compatible with each other?

These all came from "B3/B5/G2/G3/G5/G6/GA/GM/GP/P2/P6/PQ/T2 Black Power Supply Cable Set (Sleeved)" sets bought directly from EVGA.

Which one is correct? 

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/17 19:05:54 (permalink)
    I suppose that if none of them use those wires, they should all be compatible.
    Too little information provided. Does EVGA say that they are compatible? Where? Have you determined that they aren't compatible? How (other than visually)?

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/17 19:07:47 (permalink)
    tinfever6
    Did you know there are at least three different pinouts of the same EVGA modular 24-pin ATX cable, all that are supposed to be compatible with each other?

These all came from "B3/B5/G2/G3/G5/G6/GA/GM/GP/P2/P6/PQ/T2 Black Power Supply Cable Set (Sleeved)" sets bought directly from EVGA.

Which one is correct? 

Use the indicators to attach the cable to its own respective PSU.

They are labeled to make them.. army proof.

Most likely the one unit is a 650w range PSU or lower , and the others are 800w or higher. Use the cables meant for the PSU.
    tinfever6
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/17 19:48:24 (permalink)
    These were all bought from the EVGA website as the same item number: (obfuscated so my link isn't deleted) evgadotcom/products/product.aspx?pn=101-CK-0850-B9

I was buying these as replacement cables for 850 G2 PSUs. It's rather disconcerting that I've received three different versions of the same cable, and since EVGA doesn't officially publish the correct pinout it's kind of hard to know what's right, what's wrong, and what doesn't matter. Most of the third party published pinouts also conflict with all of the cables I've received.

I'm looking at 5 of my 7 modular ATX 24-pin cables that have pins 6 and 15 populated on the 18-pin connector. Pin 6 on the 18-pin connector is wired to pin 10 (+12V) on the 24-pin, which is double wired to pin 18 on the 18-pin. So it looks like it might have been supposed to be used as a +12V sense wire but when I measure pin 6 on the 18-pin connector of the PSU, it measures 0.1 Ohms to ground. Which means if I used these cables it would look like a short from +12V to ground. Which is bad.

post edited by tinfever6 - 2022/08/17 19:49:47
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    Re: Put a warning sticker to not use other cables or to thoroughly check them 2022/08/18 01:48:11 (permalink)
    I was more of thinking in future products a warning on the box would be handy. Not sure if it would be feasible to make a sticker and apply it to what’s already produced and changing packaging already out could be costly. I am more of looking at for the new PSU that would support the new GPU cables or would be a nice feature to make sure people change out cables that might not be compatible when they upgrade to them as I am sure if the cable fits some people wouldn’t swap an old cable and find out the hard way they should have read the manual.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile