Project Dark Water

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2363
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/05/29 23:52:06 (permalink)
Bit of a duplicate post from the z590 section, but it is more relevant to this thread.

I installed my new gen 4 SSD and removed the PCI-e one I had installed in slot two, so that bumped my GPU back up to 16 lanes. I decided to re-run a few benchmarks, including CPU ones. This thing seems pretty stable at 5.3GHz and I made sure nothing was running and did a clean run of Cinebench R23 (1681 SC, 16924 MC):

CPU-Z shows 719 SC, 7312 MC. I've gotten better scores in CPU-z, but not with everything stable.

My Time Spy got a new high score: 13263, with a 13070 GPU score and a 14263 CPU score.

I played a couple hours of BF5 and Raft (lol) today without a hiccup. and just like that its 2:30. need sleep.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
Lichachron
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 105
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/05/31 09:44:14 (permalink)
I like the dystopian colours!

Psst? Buying EVGA? Use this code at checkout for up to 10% off your purchase: YH8K2O9I9WQQ8ZM

euzel42
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/01 15:04:23 (permalink)
wow i like your desk more than anything! its a super awesome corner desk. the PC build looks really good as well!
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/02 03:57:15 (permalink)
euzel42
wow i like your desk more than anything! its a super awesome corner desk. the PC build looks really good as well!

Thanks. The desk was designed by me to fit into the space it is in. I had a colleague do up some nice drawings for me as I just had some sticky-note pencil drawings and he does mechanical drawings for a living. That helped make sure everyone was on the same page as I had different people working on the top and the legs. I cut the steel myself, another person I knew welded all the legs together for me, and a third guy (artisan) who's got a side business in wood-working made the top piece from scratch. I had the legs powder-coated and the top stained. I love this thing and it's a tank. You could park a train on it lol. I'll have to post some pictures later.
post edited by Nike_7688 - 2021/06/02 06:41:22

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/02 06:37:55 (permalink)
OK, so these are old pictures (~2-3 years old), but show the desk a bit better. Everything but the case has changed in my computer build lol. Also, various states of clutter. 

Wooden top finished, test-fitting on the freshly welded steel legs at the wood-craftsman's house (look at how beautiful the shelves are too):

Legs packed up, on their way to powder-coating (completely accidentally planned (luck!) the sizing perfectly so they just barely fit into the trunk of my car):

Installed into the corner (I believe that's an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 in there):

He also made me a matching shelf for the wall above, which now holds an old collection of knick-knacks from various travels:

I bought some real black-painted steel brackets for it...not for weight capacity, but just to match the aesthetic of the desk. They may actually be themselves heavier than the shelf.

Updated with some of the newer stuff, but still pre-dark-water-upgrade:

Speaking of furniture for a second, I feel like it would be remiss to not talk about the table I did the upgrade build on (I puta big towel under the build not really for the water, but mainly not to add scratches to my awesome table). It is our dining room table, but was also hand-built by a guy in Vermont from wood that came from the crates that Switchback Brewery received their bottling equipment in from Europe. I believe it was Pine from Germany, shipped to Italy where they made the bottling equipment that was shipped to Burlington, Vermont. That artisan's shop is basically across the road from the brewery and he saw all the wood and ran over there to see if he could make something with it. Ta-dah:

Maybe not the best picture, but it shows the top pretty well. The bottom has an espresso stain/paint on it, but is also parts of the crating wood. There are a couple small holes in the legs where pegs/bolts were fitted during the previous use. He also built us a matching bench, but I don't want to take this too far away from the computer build lol. If anybody is in New England and wants the contact info for one of my wood-working artisan friends, let me know.

euzel42
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/02 07:49:03 (permalink)
Nike_7688
OK, so these are old pictures (~2-3 years old), but show the desk a bit better. Everything but the case has changed in my computer build lol. Also, various states of clutter. 

Wooden top finished, test-fitting on the freshly welded steel legs at the wood-craftsman's house (look at how beautiful the shelves are too):

Legs packed up, on their way to powder-coating (completely accidentally planned (luck!) the sizing perfectly so they just barely fit into the trunk of my car):

Installed into the corner (I believe that's an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 in there):

He also made me a matching shelf for the wall above, which now holds an old collection of knick-knacks from various travels:

I bought some real black-painted steel brackets for it...not for weight capacity, but just to match the aesthetic of the desk. They may actually be themselves heavier than the shelf.

Updated with some of the newer stuff, but still pre-dark-water-upgrade:

Speaking of furniture for a second, I feel like it would be remiss to not talk about the table I did the upgrade build on (I puta big towel under the build not really for the water, but mainly not to add scratches to my awesome table). It is our dining room table, but was also hand-built by a guy in Vermont from wood that came from the crates that Switchback Brewery received their bottling equipment in from Europe. I believe it was Pine from Germany, shipped to Italy where they made the bottling equipment that was shipped to Burlington, Vermont. That artisan's shop is basically across the road from the brewery and he saw all the wood and ran over there to see if he could make something with it. Ta-dah:

Maybe not the best picture, but it shows the top pretty well. The bottom has an espresso stain/paint on it, but is also parts of the crating wood. There are a couple small holes in the legs where pegs/bolts were fitted during the previous use. He also built us a matching bench, but I don't want to take this too far away from the computer build lol. If anybody is in New England and wants the contact info for one of my wood-working artisan friends, let me know.

that's super awesome. i do not have any tools to build a desk like this nor space haha. just have to live with what I can get from Walmart lol
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/02 08:08:37 (permalink)
euzel42

that's super awesome. i do not have any tools to build a desk like this nor space haha. just have to live with what I can get from Walmart lol

yeah, I don't have the tools (or skills) to do it either, that's why I paid professionals to do it .

I am just lucky to be in a place in my life where I can afford to do that. It certainly hasn't always been the case. That said, for the desk, I could have bought a very similar one straight off Etsy (and paid a small fortune in shipping). I saved a bunch of money by ordering the steel from a fairly local supply company and doing some after-hours cutting in the shop at work myself. The welder only charged me a couple cases of Labatt Blue. I offered him better beer, but that's what he wanted haha. The most expensive part was the wood-work, but it was well worth it in my opinion. Someone does art like that, I want to pay them what its worth. It took a couple months of planning and work, but again...worth it in the end. I had been on a rickety old particle-board laminate desk I took all through college, 4 apartments, and into my house (it was either from Walmart, Lowes, or some online shop in ~2005). Every move I hoped it would brake so I could buy a new desk, but it just kept surviving...barely...so I just decided I was an adult now and could get myself a nice desk. Then I pondered, looked at some ideas online, then realized I wanted this shape for the space and had to figure out some custom dimensions. I asked around and found the right people to help me with it.

paulng87
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/02 21:09:35 (permalink)
Nice build unfortunately don’t have the desk real estate my next build is on a thorzone mjolnir itx
desmodue999
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/03 13:50:06 (permalink)
awesome!
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/08 06:42:40 (permalink)
Sooo...I'm currently less than 3 minutes away on the 3080 Ti Hybrid FTW3 (~2 minutes and 45 seconds, but who's counting). I had previously just assumed I was done with this build and I've been super happy with it, but then the 3080 ti came along (which I thought I was going to skip) and after talking it through with the wife and thinking about how far off the 40-series probably is...I decided to go for it (she was all "nothin 2 it, but to do it").

So then I got looking at my system and figured "how am I going to shoe-horn another radiator in here?" and came up with this plan (using an in-process picture from during the current build):

I think the radiator is no more than 28mm thick. There's no specs on the web-page for this (come on, EVGA, help me out here). There are specs for the 2080 radiator, which I have, which is 27.5mm thick, so I'm assuming the new one is just the 240mm version of that. From looking at the 23mm pass-through fitting I have on the lower right of the image above, I should have room to put that radiator on the front here. The tubes that come out and go to the GPU are pretty small and I think they'll actually run under the HD-cage/pump mount. I can remove part of the PSU shroud on the right to accomodate for the bottom of the rad and I can adjust fans however I want really. I just don't see how I can fit the tubes where I have them and then put a radiator over there. The main reason the tubes are on the right side of the case now is because the 2080 hybrid's radiator was on the exhaust port at the back of the case. With that gone and just a fan there (which I could...and might actually put a filter on and make another intake), I should be able to run the tubes on the left. I just need to shorten the one that goes from CPU to the radiator. I think the other one might be long enough as is because I left some service-loop in it for draining things. I have some spare tubing that I've also been using to drain the loop, but I can make a longer section if I need to.

Further, based on the fact that I'm going to have the GPU-rad fans be the intake to the case now, I think I'll be running them at a higher speed than would normally be required to feed the CPU rad with more air. To save power draw on the GPU, I'm wondering if I can hook up my fan controller (which is just a PWM pin really, power is supplied separately via SATA power connector) to the GPU's Aux Fan header, then running the two radiator fans and the rear case fan into the fan controller, which would then be controlled by the fan profile in Precision. I currently have the intakes/controller running off the motherboard's aux fan header, which can only be controlled by system or CPU temperatures.

I'm curious if anybody has any feedback or suggestions on this plan. Please feel free to make suggestions. Another question I have is whether or not it would be worth it to try and squeeze in a fan on the back-side of the radiator so that half of it is push/pull. I couldn't fit one at the bottom as it'll be small clearance between the rad and the pump-mount/HDD cage, but I might be able to fit a fan at the top right next to the reservoir. The only issue is I wouldn't have one that is the same speed as the fans that come with the radiator, so it would be slow.

post edited by Nike_7688 - 2021/06/08 06:46:01

supaflowinz
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/08 06:54:37 (permalink)
Nike_7688
Sooo...I'm currently less than 3 minutes away on the 3080 Ti Hybrid FTW3 (~2 minutes and 45 seconds, but who's counting). I had previously just assumed I was done with this build and I've been super happy with it, but then the 3080 ti came along (which I thought I was going to skip) and after talking it through with the wife and thinking about how far off the 40-series probably is...I decided to go for it (she was all "").

So then I got looking at my system and figured "how am I going to shoe-horn another radiator in here?" and came up with this plan (using an in-process picture from during the current build):

I think the radiator is no more than 28mm thick. There's no specs on the web-page for this (come on, EVGA, help me out here). There are specs for the 2080 radiator, which I have, which is 27.5mm thick, so I'm assuming the new one is just the 240mm version of that. From looking at the 23mm pass-through fitting I have on the lower right of the image above, I should have room to put that radiator on the front here. The tubes that come out and go to the GPU are pretty small and I think they'll actually run under the HD-cage/pump mount. I can remove part of the PSU shroud on the right to accomodate for the bottom of the rad and I can adjust fans however I want really. I just don't see how I can fit the tubes where I have them and then put a radiator over there. The main reason the tubes are on the right side of the case now is because the 2080 hybrid's radiator was on the exhaust port at the back of the case. With that gone and just a fan there (which I could...and might actually put a filter on and make another intake), I should be able to run the tubes on the left. I just need to shorten the one that goes from CPU to the radiator. I think the other one might be long enough as is because I left some service-loop in it for draining things. I have some spare tubing that I've also been using to drain the loop, but I can make a longer section if I need to.

Further, based on the fact that I'm going to have the GPU-rad fans be the intake to the case now, I think I'll be running them at a higher speed than would normally be required to feed the CPU rad with more air. To save power draw on the GPU, I'm wondering if I can hook up my fan controller (which is just a PWM pin really, power is supplied separately via SATA power connector) to the GPU's Aux Fan header, then running the two radiator fans and the rear case fan into the fan controller, which would then be controlled by the fan profile in Precision. I currently have the intakes/controller running off the motherboard's aux fan header, which can only be controlled by system or CPU temperatures.

I'm curious if anybody has any feedback or suggestions on this plan. Please feel free to make suggestions. Another question I have is whether or not it would be worth it to try and squeeze in a fan on the back-side of the radiator so that half of it is push/pull. I couldn't fit one at the bottom as it'll be small clearance between the rad and the pump-mount/HDD cage, but I might be able to fit a fan at the top right next to the reservoir. The only issue is I wouldn't have one that is the same speed as the fans that come with the radiator, so it would be slow.

Good for you sir!
ein385
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/08 13:34:51 (permalink)
PC is clean, but really like that desk.
kroix007
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/10 01:35:54 (permalink)
Looks pretty sweet!
R00thead
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/06/10 05:03:47 (permalink)
Can't go wrong with clean and simple.
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/06 12:51:08 (permalink)
No pictures, but I did a small update this weekend. Finally got the other 3 high-speed 140mm fans on the 420mm radiator (had 2 high speed and 3 low-speed on there before when I didn't realize the 3 that came with the case were not the high-speed, but built anyway because I didn't want to wait).

So now the 420mm rad has 5 high-speed fans on it for 2/3 push-pull and 1/3 push (if you missed it on the build notes, there's a cell-phone charger device over the front of the radiator that prevents the use of a fan there, so I can only run a push fan on the front third of the radiator.

Also, even though they aren't as high RPM (they only move about 81% of the CFM), I swapped out 2 of the 120mm fans I had in the front of the case for the low-speed 140mm's. Muuuuuch quieter now and I still had the CPU-temp drop a few degrees from the better radiator fans. The front fans aren't fighting radiators, so I don't need the high-pressure fans, they just need to bring in some good airflow to keep things moving.

It's only fans, but just one more improvement...one more small project of taking things apart, putting them back together better...progress. Happy gamer.

stinger_
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/08 00:00:39 (permalink)
Looks fantastic, well done!
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/08 04:33:39 (permalink)
Love that table.  The top almost looks like butcher block, but the big steel box rails all around and for legs was a awesome touch. Even if you dont use it with computers it would make a great garage work desk. Does it weigh a ton?! Great Job all around!

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102251
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/08 04:45:59 (permalink)
Fantastic work on that table.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/08 06:10:44 (permalink)
wmmills
Love that table.  The top almost looks like butcher block, but the big steel box rails all around and for legs was a awesome touch. Even if you dont use it with computers it would make a great garage work desk. Does it weigh a ton?! Great Job all around! 

Assuming you're talking about the computer desk (not my dining table lol), it is a butcher-block top, at least in style. The guy had some beautiful maple, and cut, glued, and edged everything himself. I think he had to take it somewhere for planing though as it was quite large.

It does indeed weigh a ton.

Here are some pictures the craftsman sent me while he was building it. Feel free to PM me if you want his information. I'd be happy to send some business his way:

the shelves:

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/09 22:08:32 (permalink)
The dining room table is pretty nice too!! And the shelves! Proper Tim the toolman overkill on all the way i like it. I dont really need his number, i have all the tools to make that kinda stuff. The only problem is sourcing good wood cuts for it etc... I appreciate the offer though and your sharing that fine work. I love seeing proper woodworking projects.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Blitzzwar
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/12 20:06:15 (permalink)
Too much black for me
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/13 13:30:47 (permalink)
UPDATE: 3080 ti FTW3 (3967) with hybrid kit incoming. Ordered today. I'll try and do everyone a favor and document the hybrid kit installation. I have a post on the 30-series section asking about the hybrid kit fans and how good they are. If anybody sees this first and wants to tell me here, that would be helpful too. There's a post above this one where I edited a picture to show what my installation plan is. Should be fun. I'll have to put in the 3967 as is to test it first of course. I'd hate to put the hybrid kit on to find out I got lucky with a DOA lol...only to have to put it back to stock to send it back.

EpicFail9000
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/13 20:05:05 (permalink)
is it just me or is the be quiet! case HDD activity light way too bright? Ive used those cases in the past and had to unplug the header. 

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/14 13:40:57 (permalink)
Pretty nice build. Do you plan on putting your GPU on water? You already have a nice start for your loop. Of course not a have to thing, just curious. The desk probably looks much better than pictures, even though looks real nice. Thanks for posting, and showing your project off. I like the rig name as well. 
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/14 14:32:12 (permalink)
notfordman
Pretty nice build. Do you plan on putting your GPU on water? You already have a nice start for your loop. Of course not a have to thing, just curious. The desk probably looks much better than pictures, even though looks real nice. Thanks for posting, and showing your project off. I like the rig name as well. 

I have definitely considered it. I am going to stick with the hybrid build for now as I couldn't get my hands on a HC card and the only 3rd party water block out there I like is the Optimus block, which is expensive and has a crazy lead time usually. So that will have to wait until the 4000 series or later. I already have picked out the radiator I'd use in the front (black ice GTR series) as it'd have to be fairly thin to fit in this build. Alternatively, I might go with something thicker...and larger than what I have planned right now when that time comes if I can find a mount that holds my Optimus Reservoir to the inside of the radiator at exactly the right height. This will be a challenge and it may also wait until some future date when I'm eventually ready to move to a different case (I currently still love this one and it isn't that old yet) that will more easily fit a 280mm or even another 420mm radiator. It wouldn't be quite a behemot (see someone else's truly amazing build lol), but it would be a beastly thing...and undoubtedly black.

Also, yes, the desk looks much nicer in person.

jawalbert77
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/20 12:47:19 (permalink)
working on my new build with the beautiful FTW Z590 just got to get the cpu im going to put in it any suggestions from anyone either an i9 10850k or an 11900k i will be taking all the evga stuff out of the old build and add it to the corsair 5000d i just got 

Attached Image(s)

JAWALBERT77
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/22 07:50:35 (permalink)
Work In Progress photo:

Oh...My..God...is she a big chonker. The 3080 ti FTW3 came in.

I haven't done the cooler-swap yet, but did just enough to get it up and running and do a bone-stock Time Spy test with GPU-z running to keep an eye on things. Not terribly impressive compared to some others, but it was stock after all (didn't move a single slider, also ReBAR is off due to...reasons...), so not too shabby either.

Speaking of Resizable Bar and whatnot. Can anybody who reads this point me in the direction of an easy way to convert your legacy Windows install to UEFI? I think...if I can do that, turning off CSM and turning on ReBAR will be a walk in the park.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102251
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/22 08:01:49 (permalink)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/22 08:07:11 (permalink)
rjohnson11
How to change Legacy to UEFI without reinstalling Windows 10 (thewindowsclub.com)

Thanks! Yeah, I forgot it was something I could just google and click the first link before I asked the question. For some reason I thought it was harder than those instructions. I'll have to do that tonight. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Project Dark Water 2021/07/22 20:54:10 (permalink)
Hmmm... No dice on the conversion tool. I tried every suggestion I could find and it won't run. I think I'll have to reinstall windows at some point to fix it. I wonder if something is corrupted after all the hardware changes.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile