Programmer cuts GTA V's load times by almost 70%

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/03/02 01:03:34 (permalink)
Programmer cuts GTA V's load times by almost 70% - Rockstar needs to fix its game's poor programming | OC3D News (overclock3d.net)

GTA Online's loading times are long, regardless of how powerful your PC is. The game world is big, complex and constantly updated, but should that mean that loading times should remain long even though the game is almost six years old on PC?  Last weekend, a programmed called T0ST discovered a way to shorten GTA Online's initial loading times by almost 70%, reducing the game's loading times from exactly 6 minutes to 1 minute and 50 seconds. This was using a system with an AMD FX-8350 and SSD storage. With GTA Online receiving continual updates and new next-generation version on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, Rockstar should be looking for ways to make GTA V load faster and make the best possible use of the latest gaming hardware. This should be true for both PC and consoles. 

The short-hand summary of the problem is that GTA V has a single-threaded CPU bottleneck, struggles to work through a 10MB JSON file and then wastes time with a slow data checking system that T0ST claims is "useless". 

With AMD's FX-8350 being a weak processor by today's standards, offering poor single-threaded performance when compared to the Intel processors of that era, T0ST issues are less prevalent on more modern systems. That said, the boosted single-threaded performance of modern CPUs will still need to waste a lot of time on these same processes, making T0ST fixes hugely valuable for Rockstar and its oncoming GTA Online development efforts. The first of GTA Online's problems is that it struggles to work through a 10MB JSON file that contains 63,000 items. Strangely, GTA V reads this file 63,000 times while loading GTA Online, which adds up to a lot of wasted CPU time. While each read is incredibly fast, skimming though the file 63,000 times quickly adds up to a lot of wasted CPU cycles and creates longer than necessary loading times. 

GTA Online's second issue is that the game also checks its calculations for repeated values, even though GTA Online's JSON list contains no repeated items. With the JSON list being 63,000 values long, T0ST believes that GTA Online needs to conduct 1,984,531,500 cross-checks, all of which are appear to be useless. All entries in this file are unique, removing the need for this cross-check entirely. To reduce GTA Online's loading times by almost 70%, T0ST created two fixes that mitigate these major issues, both of which should be considered by Rockstar games. With Grand Theft Auto 5 having over 100,000 concurrent players on Steam every day, the total time-saving benefits would be monstrous. 

If 100,000 GTA Online players could load the game 1 minute faster, the total human time savings would be 69.4 days. T0ST saved over four minutes of time when loading GTA Online with his fixes, making the time saving potential even larger for those with weaker systems. 

T0ST's fix is comprised of two parts, both of which are described on his blog. The first is a bypass for the game's duplication check, removing the unnecessary check from GTA Online's loading times. This dropped GTA Online's loading times from six minutes to four minutes and 30 seconds. 

The second fix is a patch to the game's JSON parser, which caches the start and the length of GTA Online's JSON file. This change allows GTA Online to read through the file once and see the answer repeatedly without re-reading the file. Instead of reading the file 63,000 times, this fix allows the file to be read only once. This fix reduced GTA Online's loading times from 6 minutes to Two minutes and 50 seconds. 

When both of these fixes are combined, GTA Online's loading times can be reduced from six minutes to one minute and 50 seconds. The code for these fixes is available on Github, though GTA Online players shouldn't use the code as it could be seen as cheating by GTA Online's anti-cheating system. That's why Rockstar needs to implement these fixes themselves. 

GTA Online remains incredibly popular on PC, and T0ST claims that his fixes could be implemented by a single Rockstar developer in a single day. With this in mind, Rockstar should see implementing this fix as a no-brainer. Shortened loading times will bring some PC gamers back into the world of GTA Online, and existing players will benefit from having less waiting time and more gaming time. 

If these fixes can also be brought over to the console and next-generation console versions of GTA Online, the combined human time savings of these fixes would be even more considerable. Faster loading times for the next-generation versions of GTA Online would be a big improvement for fans of the title. 

I also agree that more work needs to be done to optimize the game. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

6 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Programmer cuts GTA V's load times by almost 70% 2021/03/02 04:29:14 (permalink)
    modders always impress ....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Programmer cuts GTA V's load times by almost 70% 2021/03/02 09:14:32 (permalink)
    Yup, its why Rockstar and other good studios hire modders. Helped a few get into the AAA industry before I retired. A massive talent pool that is not given a chance normally. Mods help open the door.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Programmer cuts GTA V's load times by almost 70% 2021/03/02 09:22:44 (permalink)
    What they need to do is stop implementing the need for their 'launcher' as well as steams.

Use steam (or better yet, none) and let me be. I'm tired of all this data mining..

and then they need to implement these fixes..heh

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Programmer cuts GTA V's load times by almost 70% 2021/03/02 12:35:50 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    What they need to do is stop implementing the need for their 'launcher' as well as steams.

Use steam (or better yet, none) and let me be. I'm tired of all this data mining..

GOG Galaxy is the way -.-

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Programmer cuts GTA V's load times by almost 70% 2021/03/02 13:55:03 (permalink)
    donta1979
    transdogmifier

GOG Galaxy is the way -.-

+1 GOG Galaxy trying something new

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    FearTehPanda
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Programmer cuts GTA V's load times by almost 70% 2021/03/05 10:43:51 (permalink)
    That’s pretty interesting, I always get kicked after loading and right back to a long load time lol
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile