EVGA

Problems with EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080ti's?

Author
comrade
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1316
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2020/01/24 18:47:55 (permalink)
I've got a problem, but not sure what it is, and I need some help.  I've got the computer that's listed in my signature.  It's not the latest thing, but it's still fairly powerful and right now, I can't afford to just start replacing everything, (like I used to do before I retired).

I think at least one of the video cards has something wrong with it.  I used to be able to fire up two different 3840 x 2160 videos, one on each monitor, and they both would run perfectly smooth and still not even seem to stress the computer.  Now, if I do that, I get noticeable stuttering on the videos, and artifacts and some barely visible pixilating on the videos.  Not sure exactly when it started, but it wasn't too long ago.

I just downloaded the new Precision and while looking at it, I notice that card #2, never seems to rise above 139 Mhz.  The other card will be up and running at close to 1800 Mhz, and varying up and down, but card 2 doesn't budge.  I have them linked in Precision, but it doesn't seem to change things.  I can manually force the speed of the second card up to that indicated for card 1 and lock them there, but the video performance doesn't change.  I have switched the cards around, tried all the different DisplayPort outputs on the cards and I've got the latest video drivers, the latest UEFI on the MB, and updated everything else I could think of.

Nothing seems to overheat.  Never see more than about 60 deg. on the cards or the CPU.  When I up the speed on the cards, I set the fan speeds at 60%, and it keeps them cool.

The other problems I'm having are that the Chrome browser has started to crash constantly.  At first it was that I was getting random pixilated images on web sites with Chrome.  I tried the old IE11, and it doesn't do that.  I tried the new Edge/Chrome browser, and that also displays the pixilated images, but doesn't seem to crash as much.  I had to uninstall the new Edge browser and went back to the old version, and that works fine.  Anything with Chrome just will not display correctly.  Neither will Firefox.  The Chrome browser is the worst since it usually crashes almost immediately after it loads.

I've got the latest versions of Chrome as well as trying earlier versions, and now they all seem to have problems.

The biggest problem though is that I'm worried one of my cards is bad.  They only have about two months left on the warranty, and I can't tell which card it might be, or even if it's something else, like a problem the MB or the power supply, which is 1000 Watts.

I can't afford to just start replacing things right now as I've got some big medical bills right now.  (Chemotherapy is expensive!!!!)  And.., I've had some big bills with the house in the past year.  

Anyway, the medical and appliance bills I can handle for right now, but I need my computer to keep in touch with doctors and set up medical appointments.  Since I don't know which card, if either, is bad, I can't take the time to just send both back to EVGA as I can't be without a computer.  

Also, it's hard to figure out what is wrong with Chrome, and why it won't run.  I know I'm not the only one with this problem, as it seems to be widely spread.  I've got the latest video drivers, the latest stable version of Windows 10 Pro, version 1909 build 18363.592,  

I've run some tests, like OCCT, and it finds errors, but unfortunately cannot tell you what causes them.  It only finds the errors, not their cause.

Any help, (even from EVGA if possible, just look at the list of products I've bought over the years), would be greatly appreciated!

The computer used to run so great and so stable, but now.., I just don't know and I could use some help.

Much thanks for any offered!

Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Pro WiFi Amd sTRX4 ATX MB, AMD Ryzen 9 Threadripper 3960x, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING, 24G-P5-3988-KR, twin - 28" 3840 x 2160 Monitors, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, M2 NVME SSD for OS, 3x2 TB  Samsung 980 Pro SSD's for storage, Samsung SH-203 SATA DVD Drive, Coolermaster 1000 Watt PSU, Win 11 Pro, Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced case. EVGA Z20 Gaming Keyboard, Razer Orochi 2013 Mouse.

5 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Problems with EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080ti's? 2020/01/24 21:41:29 (permalink)
    Best thing to do would be to test both the cards in another known good working system to see if you can reproduce the artifacts in another system. Make sure you test them one at a time as well.
    comrade
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1316
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Problems with EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080ti's? 2020/01/25 07:16:48 (permalink)
    Easier said than done.  I live in a neighborhood with many retired people, a good many of whom do not have computers, or if they do, they are usually small ones without discrete video cards much less room for one.

I'm not sure how well I'd react to someone coming up to me and saying; "Can I have access to your computer and open it up and install into it something that might be broken so I can see what happens?"

Is it normal for one of the cards to stay at 139 Mhz all the time, even when running a couple of high definition video's on the computer?  That's what happens with mine and the second card just stays at the 139 Mhz, even when linked with the other card, unless I manually force it to match the other one using the 'Boost Lock' button.

Is it possible that this might be a problem with the MB or the power supply, and not the card?  The fact that the card doesn't seem to want to ramp up in speed along with the other one points to the card to me, but I'm not that much of an expert.

Also, what is with Chrome recently.  I've read that a recent update to Windows caused problems for people running Chrome, but that it has been patched.  My computer is up to date with all the latest patches and everything, but it still does not like to run anything that is Chrome-based.  It won't run Chrome, the new Edge based on Chrome or Firefox.  They all just crash, or show pixilated images.  The only browsers I can run without problems are the old Edge and old IE11.

Also, if I were to send in my cards to EVGA, if I can figure out which card is the problem, (even if it is a problem with the card), how quick is the turn-around time for warranty work on them, and do they even HAVE any replacement GTX 1080ti cards, Founders Edition, considering that they don't seem to be for sale anywhere.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Pro WiFi Amd sTRX4 ATX MB, AMD Ryzen 9 Threadripper 3960x, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING, 24G-P5-3988-KR, twin - 28" 3840 x 2160 Monitors, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, M2 NVME SSD for OS, 3x2 TB  Samsung 980 Pro SSD's for storage, Samsung SH-203 SATA DVD Drive, Coolermaster 1000 Watt PSU, Win 11 Pro, Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced case. EVGA Z20 Gaming Keyboard, Razer Orochi 2013 Mouse.
    tattude69
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Problems with EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080ti's? 2020/01/25 12:13:19 (permalink)
    You should start by removing both graphics cards and install the 2nd gpu in the first pci slot and see how it operates.
    If it's still running low speeds then it's probably that gpu.
    If it operates correctly then install 1st gpu in second pci slot and test operation.

Rinse and repeat until problem is isolated GPU,pci slot power supply or drivers or even windows. Also latest drivers are not always best on 10 series cards. If you really need to use your computer it should function with one gpu

https://forums.evga.com/m..aspx?m=2504606&fp=1

Thanks goes to Sajin for link
    post edited by tattude69 - 2020/01/25 12:19:34

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Problems with EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080ti's? 2020/01/25 12:31:25 (permalink)
    comrade
    Is it normal for one of the cards to stay at 139 Mhz all the time, even when running a couple of high definition video's on the computer? 

Is it possible that this might be a problem with the MB or the power supply, and not the card?

Also, what is with Chrome recently.  I've read that a recent update to Windows caused problems for people running Chrome, but that it has been patched.  My computer is up to date with all the latest patches and everything, but it still does not like to run anything that is Chrome-based.  It won't run Chrome, the new Edge based on Chrome or Firefox.  They all just crash, or show pixilated images.  The only browsers I can run without problems are the old Edge and old IE11.

Also, if I were to send in my cards to EVGA, if I can figure out which card is the problem, (even if it is a problem with the card), how quick is the turn-around time for warranty work on them, and do they even HAVE any replacement GTX 1080ti cards, Founders Edition, considering that they don't seem to be for sale anywhere.

It is if you only have the monitors connected to only one card.

I doubt it.

Chrome works fine for me.

I think the turnaround time is like 3 days from when the card is delivered to evga. If the don't have any replacement 1080 ti's you'll most likely get an rtx 2080 as a replacement.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Problems with EVGA Founders Edition GTX 1080ti's? 2020/01/25 12:50:17 (permalink)
    comra[quote=comrade
    Easier said than done.  I live in a neighborhood with many retired people, a good many of whom do not have computers, or if they do, they are usually small ones without discrete video cards much less room for one.

I'm not sure how well I'd react to someone coming up to me and saying; "Can I have access to your computer and open it up and install into it something that might be broken so I can see what happens?"

Is it normal for one of the cards to stay at 139 Mhz all the time, even when running a couple of high definition video's on the computer?  That's what happens with mine and the second card just stays at the 139 Mhz, even when linked with the other card, unless I manually force it to match the other one using the 'Boost Lock' button.

Is it possible that this might be a problem with the MB or the power supply, and not the card?  The fact that the card doesn't seem to want to ramp up in speed along with the other one points to the card to me, but I'm not that much of an expert.

Yes, it is COMPLETELY NORMAL for one GPU to be idle 100% of the time in SLI if you are not using a game or application that uses SLI.  The Desktop is not SLI enabled, nor is SLI used when watching videos.  I suppose you could force SLI in the Control Panel. Second, are both your monitors identical and running at the same refresh rate and resolution? If not, that could be an issue.  And third. if you're worried one of your GPU's is defective, them test them individually in your own system. 

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile