EVGA

Problems I had with the new purchase/notification system

Author
lolzipop
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/11/03 22:25:08 (permalink)
Received a notification for the purchase of a 30 series card. I clicked on the link to purchase the card and it takes me to the page that asks me a verification number from a text sent to my phone. Okay, this is new; so I verified my phone number was correct and clicked "send" next to my number.
Nothing happened, so I waited a bit.
Still nothing happened, so I clicked send again.
This repeats several time, with me thinking if I click it enough times one of them is going to go through. I don't get any text returning any verification number from these attempts.
I decide to email then call EVGA customer support, both saying their SMS verification systems were experiencing issues and that I should check back at around 7pm PDT. This issue wasn't made apparent on the verification page nor the email sent for the product notify.
At around 4:40pm PDT I received 10 text messages simultaneously all containing a different verification code. None of them worked, presumably because they were from earlier attempts of me trying to brute force my way into getting a text message from them.
So I decide to try one more time to get an SMS containing a verification code. This time the page returns an error saying "SMS sending has reached the limit of today" along with a reference number. This wasn't made known to me at all before this point.
Their customer service line is now closed since it's outside business hours and the reply email I sent them asking about the SMS limit just replied back with the exact same sentence as last time "I do apologize, however we are currently having issues with our SMS Verification System.  Please try again this evening after 7:00 PM PDT." which gives me the impression this was an automated response with them looking for SMS as a keyword.
So now I'm hoping that I can wake up next morning and be able to use the SMS verification to get a card and not use up the 20 hour buy period.

I could've used some warning that the SMS verification system would be down for some period while I was trying to buy. Also they could've told me in the notify email and/or the SMS verification page that I would be limited to what I assume to be 10 tries for any given day.

Tips for you folks looking to buy a GPU through the current notify system:
1. If they send you to a page with SMS verification, verify your phone number is correct with no spaces or dashes, and that the phone is capable of receiving SMS messages (avoid using virtual numbers).
2. If the first 2 attempts result in no text messages do not try any more attempts until you contact customer service by calling and them replying with any issues they may have or if they can resolve any issues particular to your situation. You do not want to get close to using up 10 attempts like I did.
Codes will expire after 5 minutes after being sent, SMS message should look something like this: "EVGA Verification code: NUMBERHERE, This code will expire in 5 minutes"

5 Replies Related Threads

nomoss
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1559
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Problems I had with the new purchase/notification system 2021/11/03 22:54:28 (permalink)
    Respond to the email that you received, indicating your desire to purchase the card. EVGA is very good about this.

Associates code:  9OYA1P1FRHQ3SGN
    Imgur    modsrigs:  Chemical X   RedWing   Utonium   TY for the +1s! 

lolzipop
    Re: Problems I had with the new purchase/notification system 2021/11/04 09:38:29 (permalink)
    Follow up: stayed up until 12am PDT and the SMS verification requirements were no longer there. Managed to buy the card but only through PayPal. Weirdly, it wouldn't recognize my credit cards, a couple of which I had used previously to purchase things off the site.
    enewt
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11883
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Problems I had with the new purchase/notification system 2021/11/04 10:22:33 (permalink)
    lolzipop
    Follow up: stayed up until 12am PDT and the SMS verification requirements were no longer there. Managed to buy the card but only through PayPal. Weirdly, it wouldn't recognize my credit cards, a couple of which I had used previously to purchase things off the site.

Congratulations on securing your new gaming goodness!

Please use my Associate Code at your checkouts for up to 10% discounts on all your EVGA purchases: VDN2319M4O569J4

30 Series GPUs currently "in stock"
    EVGA Queue Summary (North America)

dcai777
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Problems I had with the new purchase/notification system 2021/12/01 18:53:07 (permalink)
    Are you saying that the SMS limit was reset at midnight PDT? Thanks in advance cause I’m having the same issue
    lolzipop
    Re: Problems I had with the new purchase/notification system 2021/12/01 19:02:14 (permalink)
    dcai777
    Are you saying that the SMS limit was reset at midnight PDT? Thanks in advance cause I’m having the same issue

I'm saying I no longer had to input an SMS code on the order after 12am. I'm not sure if it was because SMS service was not working that day, or the actions of the support team or I somehow bypassed the SMS requirements. It doesn't hurt to check at midnight PDT since it does constitute a new day. However, if you haven't done so already, you should contact support indicating your intention to purchase the card and they may just bypass that system.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile