EVGA

LockedPrices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8328
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 47
2018/08/08 06:11:06 (permalink)

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

71 Replies Related Threads

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 07:11:31 (permalink)
    I guess some of these companies are going to consider building here to get around this 25% if a better/lower goal isn't reached. although I think the main point is to get companies to come to the US and the 2nd point is to get lower Tariffs.

So in my opinion it may slow down growth because people buying in large volumes can wait to buy a large amount of tech goods ( people buying for companies, schools, gov), while the average PC building gamer/creator will just keep buying the stuff they want or need.
    post edited by seth89 - 2018/09/18 17:01:40

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 07:28:53 (permalink)
    Good. These parts should be made in the USA.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10331
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 07:39:32 (permalink)
    kram36

+1...

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 07:58:10 (permalink)
    you wouldn't be able to afford parts made in USA...lol

they were off-shored for that reason

just think $200 extra on a $800 GPU gonna cost you 1G now

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 08:21:01 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious

If we don't have jobs here how can we buy anything, even if it's made in China? The USA has had it's wealth stolen from it by China using slave labor.

Oh and NAFTA has been wealth stealing of the USA also.
    post edited by kram36 - 2018/08/08 08:24:35
    gutcheck
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3665
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 08:31:00 (permalink)
    Does the tax apply to American companies that have manufacturing in China?  How would it work if say, EVGA assembled a portion of the cards here, but the parts obviously came from over seas?

3900X 4.5 GHZ on an Asus Hero
    32 GB 3600 MHZ Corsair RGB Pro DDR4 RAM
    1 EVGA 3090 XC3 soon to be Watercooled
    2 2GB Corsair MP600's
    HX1000 with custom sleaving
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 09:18:55 (permalink)
    kram36
    Xavier Zepherious

If we don't have jobs here how can we buy anything, even if it's made in China? The USA has had it's wealth stolen from it by China using slave labor.

This is very true.  While I believe in free market capitalism, I don't believe these other countries played by the same rules while taking even more advantage of us. 

Majority of the PC stuff are built by other machines folks.  Why not have a US worker keep on eye on the machines (like me lol) instead of someone else.  We're already paying high prices and we're all broke. 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 09:43:13 (permalink)
    Offshore has very little to do with labor costs, though Corp America wants people to believe thats the reason.

Regulations, litigations & sometimes taxes are the biggest drivers. 

There is no environmental costs or litigation expenses in these other countries

American workers have the highest productivity in the World

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 09:59:22 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Offshore has very little to do with labor costs, though Corp America wants people to believe thats the reason.

Regulations, litigations & sometimes taxes are the biggest drivers. 

There is no environmental costs or litigation expenses in these other countries

American workers have the highest productivity in the World

Labor has a lot to do with it as well as environmental costs or litigation expenses, etc.

Look how little the Chinese make and then they get worked to death with 12 hour work days. It's slave labor in China.

You are right on the US worker productivity.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 11:01:21 (permalink)
    @ kram36, I like your chart not sure about the low productivity in US Mfg number though

Using "your chat numbers"

USA = 41.66 profit margin / Hr
    China =32.70 profit margin / Hr
     ---------------------------
    I have seen the stats of raw numbers hourly wage + required expense FICA, unemployment, benefits (vacation, holidays) .....

You have to subtract the hourly overhead from productivity  ---

Employee Country A costs = $10/ Hr with a productivity of $100/ Hr (sell able goods & value added - Minus, lost productivity + rejects & scrap)

Employee Country B costs = $70/ Hr with a productivity of $300/ Hr

Who can make the Corporation more money ?  ---> the $70 overhead employee

l will stop the off topic post at the example above & apologize for poorly explaining my point in my first post

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 11:06:19 (permalink)
    Thank you for these wonderful tariffs for making global trade worse than it already is.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

panzlock
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 11:10:18 (permalink)
    kram36

Can't blame China for deals made by American politicians.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 11:14:31 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Thank you for these wonderful tariffs for making global trade worse than it already is.

Are you trying to say there are no tariffs put on USA goods going into other countries? Evening the playing field is what's happening and it's time is over due. You don't like it? Think how we in the USA feel.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 11:23:00 (permalink)
    kram36
    rjohnson11

Are you trying to say there are no tariffs put on USA goods going into other countries? Evening the playing field is what's happening and it's time is over due. You don't like it? Think how we in the USA feel.

This all started with the Steel and Aluminum imports from various countries such as China, Canada, and the EU. Tariffs were decided to try and make prices fair. The problem that ordinary USA citizens don't see is that American steel lacks quality. In my personal opinion the USA steel industry hasn't put enough money into making sure steel factories have superior equipment and better trained personnel. The owners of those companies are taking too much money for themselves rather than invest in infrastructure. If American steel were competitive in the first place none of these tariffs would come to pass.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 11:26:01 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    @ kram36, I like your chart not sure about the low productivity in US Mfg number though

Using "your chat numbers"

USA = 41.66 profit margin / Hr
    China =32.70 profit margin / Hr
     ---------------------------
    I have seen the stats of raw numbers hourly wage + required expense FICA, unemployment, benefits (vacation, holidays) .....

You have to subtract the hourly overhead from productivity  ---

Employee Country A costs = $10/ Hr with a productivity of $100/ Hr (sell able goods & value added - Minus, lost productivity + rejects & scrap)

Employee Country B costs = $70/ Hr with a productivity of $300/ Hr

Who can make the Corporation more money ?  ---> the $70 overhead employee

l will stop the off topic post at the example above & apologize for poorly explaining my point in my first post

Not sure how your posts are off topic?

Anyways, I noticed in the chart on the productivity, it has Taiwan listed instead of China?
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 11:32:11 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    kram36
    rjohnson11

This all started with the Steel and Aluminum imports from various countries such as China, Canada, and the EU. Tariffs were decided to try and make prices fair. The problem that ordinary USA citizens don't see is that American steel lacks quality. In my personal opinion the USA steel industry hasn't put enough money into making sure steel factories have superior equipment and better trained personnel. The owners of those companies are taking too much money for themselves rather than invest in infrastructure. If American steel were competitive in the first place none of these tariffs would come to pass.

That's a load of horse manure. The tariffs on USA goods started a long time ago and it was done because the quality was better and other countries couldn't compete. It's now time these tariffs go away or all the junk coming into the USA tariff free start getting the same tariffs applied to them.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 11:43:03 (permalink)
    kram36
    rjohnson11
    kram36
    rjohnson11

That's a load of horse manure. The tariffs on USA goods started a long time ago and it was done because the quality was better and other countries couldn't compete. It's now time these tariffs go away or all the junk coming into the USA tariff free start getting the same tariffs applied to them.

I didn't mention that.  I'm talking about the recent tariffs or the new tariff wars.

However, what I would like to see is the start of free trade. I'd like to see Europe and the USA enter into a start of free trade on certain items. That means no import duties or tariffs.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 11:47:05 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    kram36
    rjohnson11
    kram36
    rjohnson11

I didn't mention that.  I'm talking about the recent tariffs or the new tariff wars.

However, what I would like to see is the start of free trade. I'd like to see Europe and the USA enter into a start of free trade on certain items. That means no import duties or tariffs.

The EU is too corrupt to go free trade with the USA.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 12:34:31 (permalink)
    rjohnson11

The problem that ordinary USA citizens don't see is that American steel lacks quality. In my personal opinion the USA steel industry hasn't put enough money into making sure steel factories have superior equipment and better trained personnel. The owners of those companies are taking too much money for themselves rather than invest in infrastructure. If American steel were competitive in the first place none of these tariffs would come to pass.

With all due respect, you couldn't be further from the truth.  US steel started to decline when it all went to cheaper labor, more tax incentive nations.  Once our gov. allowed for it many decades ago, it opened the flood gates to all the other sectors.

I wouldn't trust chinese steel or concrete, etc., even if it were given to us for free.  NO THANKS! 

kram36

Very true.  While overseas customers complain about the US company 'making too much' or 'charging us too much', what they don't realize, the added costs come from their own.  Tariffs, duties, shipping, taxes, etc.  The free services they get needs to be paid somehow.

Dam Kram.  We're on a roll here.  (High five!)

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 12:44:19 (permalink)
    kram36
    rjohnson11
    kram36
    rjohnson11
    kram36
    rjohnson11

I would go to say the USA is too corrupt.

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11094
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 13:04:53 (permalink)
    The trouble with tariffs is that the target country does not pay them. We end up paying them when we buy the imports.
    Weren't happy paying 1000$ for a 700$ video card a couple months ago, why would you be happy paying it now?
    Also I rather they not go back to making all that steel again in PA. Here in NY we used to have a big problem with acid rain.
    Not heard of acid rain in years and years. The streams are producing fish again, the trees are healthy again and I can leave my car out in the rain and not have spots etched into the paint. Let them deal with it over there.
    Or if you insist it be here, make it in CA. Hawaii or Alaska. As far away from here as possible. 

Making electronic is a very dirty business, the chemicals, solvents and materials are nasty.
    IBM major plants are not too far away, the land, ground water is polluted, people who live close have strange health issues.
    I worked in IBM, I could not use freon detectors because as soon as I got in the building they would go off. How bad it was in there.
    China has control of rare-earth materials and I doubt they will give them up so we can take their major business away.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 13:13:41 (permalink)
    kram36

Yup.
    China has been in a trade war with the US for decades destroying our industies. Finally we have politicians willing to fight back. 
    EyeDeeNo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 670
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 15:07:49 (permalink)
    bill1024
    The trouble with tariffs is that the target country does not pay them. We end up paying them when we buy the imports.
    Weren't happy paying 1000$ for a 700$ video card a couple months ago, why would you be happy paying it now?
    Also I rather they not go back to making all that steel again in PA. Here in NY we used to have a big problem with acid rain.
    Not heard of acid rain in years and years. The streams are producing fish again, the trees are healthy again and I can leave my car out in the rain and not have spots etched into the paint. Let them deal with it over there.
    Or if you insist it be here, make it in CA. Hawaii or Alaska. As far away from here as possible. 

Making electronic is a very dirty business, the chemicals, solvents and materials are nasty.
    IBM major plants are not too far away, the land, ground water is polluted, people who live close have strange health issues.
    I worked in IBM, I could not use freon detectors because as soon as I got in the building they would go off. How bad it was in there.
    China has control of rare-earth materials and I doubt they will give them up so we can take their major business away.

+1

Don't forget GE's PCBs in the Hudson River among others.

I also have worked at IBM, as a contractor for most all plants and facilities in the area on and off over the years.

But this is getting off topic.

We all like lower prices and seek them but manufacturing here cost to much do to many factors plus companies are always looking for way to increase profits.

Seeing MADE IN USA still gets me excited.
    post edited by EyeDeeNo - 2018/08/08 15:28:52

Lenovo 710-25ISH IdeaCentre with an Intel Core i5-6400 ~ Win10 Home 64-Bit 21H2
    Lenovo 3642 Motherboard Intel H170 Chipset ~ BIOS FWKTA7A 11/7/2019
    FSP Group FSP250-30AGBAA 250w 80 Plus Bronze
    EVGA 04G-P4-6251-KR GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming VBIOS 86.07.22.00.50 ~ Precision XOC 6.0.9 ~ Game Ready 516.59
    G.SKILL F4-2400C15Q-4GNT Value DDR4 4x4GB Kit
    Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 MX500 SSD 1TB Firmware M3CR043 (Sabrent BK-PCBS) + Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 Barracuda HDD 2TB
    Pioneer BDR-209UBK Blu-ray Burner ~ Firmware 1.54 10/7/2020
    AOC E2475SWQE 23.6'' 1ms TN 1080p 60Hz Monitor via Athena CLH-DP0612MM28 DP + Samsung UN32J5500AF 31.5'' TV via Belkin F8V3311B15 HDMI
    Creative GigaWorks
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 15:34:18 (permalink)
    EyeDeeNo
    bill1024

+1

Don't forget GE's PCBs in the Hudson River among others.

I also have worked at IBM, as a contractor for most all plants and facilities in the area on and off over the years.

But this is getting off topic.

We all like lower prices and seek them but manufacturing here cost to much do to many factors plus companies are always looking for way to increase profits.

Seeing MADE IN USA still gets me excited.

There is a few of us on here in the Hudson valley, met a couple in person. Beautiful area, want to keep it that way.

They say there are more jobs available then there are people to fill them. We are  at full employment.
    I just hope the tariffs work quickly and the other trade markets open up fast. Not fair they sell here but will not buy from us, or put a tariff on our goods. 
    Need to get electronics, better buy them sooner rather than later.

HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 860
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 17:13:17 (permalink)
    I think consumers voting with their wallets contribute also.  All things being equal, if one 1080 is $500 and the next is $800, most folk will opt for the less expensive model which drives the manufacturers to lower overhead as much as they can which means offshore.

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 18:14:54 (permalink)
    HaywireHaywood
    I think consumers voting with their wallets contribute also.  All things being equal, if one 1080 is $500 and the next is $800, most folk will opt for the less expensive model which drives the manufacturers to lower overhead as much as they can which means offshore.

People will spend hours looking on line at different web sites to save 5 bucks off a 40$ 120gb SSD. Most want good quality at a reasonable price, and will shop for hours to get it.
    These days one product can be made in several different countries at the same time, part A here, part B there, A and B assembled somewhere else.

There are countries who ship a whole lot of cars to the USA, but do not want to open their markets to the US makers, that has to stop.
    I'll pay a little more for now to see if we can force some hands to get more reciprocal trade agreements.  

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 18:17:31 (permalink)
    The really bad thing is a company can now charge 24% more even if they are not getting parts from China. It makes investors happy to up the price and what are you going to do about it pay 25% more for the Chinese made part because you are upset over the 24%?

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 18:37:19 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    The really bad thing is a company can now charge 24% more even if they are not getting parts from China. It makes investors happy to up the price and what are you going to do about it pay 25% more for the Chinese made part because you are upset over the 24%?

I doubt many co. will do that. If wind gets out they are price gouging the American people they will suffer the consequences  

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Prices of PC hardware made in China will increase 25% in price due to import tarrif 2018/08/08 22:41:36 (permalink)
    bill1024
    Hoggle

I doubt many co. will do that. If wind gets out they are price gouging the American people they will suffer the consequences  

It’s not really price gouging since Chinese supplies just got more expensive which means others will see increased interest stressing supplie chains and raising prices. Also some parts are probably still coming from China. In some cases a parts from China are used to build devices that are then sent back to China and installed inside larger products like dishwashers that then get another round of tariffs.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile