EVGA

Precicion ocx cpu temp monitor help pls

Author
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1190
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2017/03/06 22:01:12 (permalink)
Hello, just got my brand new machine all done now just doing the last things before i game. I just installed precision ocx and i noticed 2 different cpu temps and im not 100% which one i should be paying attention to. I see one that has cpu temp-1 and the other cpu temp. Also im new to the market as i have not built anything in several years and im using the i7-7700k kaby lake cpu and its not oced at all and im getting those idle temps  which is making me worried. Never seen cpu temps that high on liquid at idle! Temps jumping between 28-39 on the left one (cpu temp-1) and the right one jumps from 37-44 (cpu temp).

I did pea method on the heat sink with arctic silver, never had to reapply thermal past because i did a bad job but this might be my first time doing a bad job who knows. If these temps are normal for this cpu ill be happy but if not i want to fix it by reapplying. So, these temps fine for this day in age on the cpu?

2 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Precicion ocx cpu temp monitor help pls 2017/03/06 23:09:28 (permalink)
    I'd consider 20-30's to be normal idle temps. As for which cpu temp is the correct one... I'd say cpu temp without the 1 in it is the correct one.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Precicion ocx cpu temp monitor help pls 2017/03/07 01:26:41 (permalink)
    CPU-1 Temperature refers to your processor's physical Core 1 (logical Core 0)..As you will see if your hover your mouse pointer over the lines in the graph area, there will be four lines, along with their temperatures, because you have a four core processor.

CPU Temperature refers to the processor temperature which is measured at the center of the IHS (Tcase)..Since there is no temperature sensor at the center of the IHS on Intel desktop processors (that I know of these days, you can get the white paper/Datasheet for your CPU at Intel from here), this reading is usually either taken from the CPU socket temperature sensor of your motherboard or is guesstimated by the motherboard BIOS..This is also the CPU Temperature you will see in the BIOS.

Pay attention to the individual core temperatures (Tjunction) because they're what determines when core throttling occurs, that's what really matters..As I said, I haven't taken the time to review thermals from the Intel Datasheets for the new/newer processors but you can if you want to..I think your temps are looking fine, maybe a little bit higher than what I'd expect at idle though, I dunno..What are load temps when running Intel Burn Test or the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool?

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile