Helpful ReplyPracticality and requirements of VR goggles for movie watching

Author
HaywireHaywood
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 860
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2022/06/04 15:15:46 (permalink)
I've often thought that VR goggles would be a great replacement for a TV in situations where you are the only viewer and it wouldn't require the wall space of a huge TV or projector would. I see that native 4K resolution for each eye is now available and the screen door effect has been largely (but maybe not entirely) eliminated on the high end models. IMAX theaters only have 70 deg of viewing angle and most goggles easily meet or exceed that.  If I went down that rabbit hole, I don't think I'd need all the peripherals that gamers need since it would be basically just a display.  What I don't know is the graphics card requirement for that.  They give minimum and recommended graphics cards for gaming, but I would think that just watching movies would not be nearly as demanding as gaming.  My CPU is a Ryzen 9 5900X, but my card is an old GTX1080.

What I don't know about VR easily exceeds what I do know.  Anyone messed around with VR enough to lend some advice on the practicality of this?

thanks

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Practicality and requirements of VR goggles for movie watching 2022/06/04 17:10:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby HaywireHaywood 2022/06/05 02:55:50
I have a Quest 2 and it's pretty good for watching video but the problem is not many apps exist to really view movies or shows with Netflix being a VR app but it's still only streaming at 480p and Prime Video doing 1080p. If you are streaming a video though on your PC a number of apps though will let you view it as if it was a theater sized screen and I do like apps like Bigscreen where multiple people can join a room and watch the same movie at the same time in a theater like setting. One thing to keep in mind though is if you are streaming from a PC what is playing on the VR headset might still be displayed on the PC screen. I mention this because some people will stream games to a headset that might be too scary for children to see so turn off the monitor.

As for streaming hardware you should be good for almost anything in VR as right now a lot of developers made apps to be playable on Playstation VR and then ported that over to the PC. It could change though when the Playstation VR 2 comes out as apps get updated to support that platform and honestly I think it will be a huge change for VR to have them have current generation console power for the apps rather then being built to run on hardware out of 2013.
post edited by Hoggle - 2022/06/04 17:18:54

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

HaywireHaywood
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 860
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Practicality and requirements of VR goggles for movie watching 2022/06/05 02:57:57 (permalink)
Thanks, I may look at a Pimax 8KX after the Crystal amd 12K is released. Maybe the price will relax a bit.

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile