EVGA

Power target on 1080 ti ftw3 and overclocking

Author
smitherific
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/05/19 13:59:20 (permalink)
I just got and setup my new ftw3 and I love it so far. What is the maximum power target on the master and slave bios? Mine caps at 117% on both, but I thought it went higher than that? I noticed that my power and memory temps never seem to fluctuate, they remain at 30c on power and 29c for memory on the default precision curve. The gpu hovers around 29c while idle (all 3 fans spin). Is that normal or is there a way to check of the reading is wrong? 

When I tried overclocking (+50 gpu offset), it would run fine at the higher clocks, but then the card  would lower clocks after a little bit. Does it begin to throttle itself after a certain temp? My last card was a 780, which would throttle. What is the max voltage on the ft3? I doubt I would run it at max voltage 24/7, but I do want to see how much it can overclock. Also, are unigine valley and heaven 4.0 still the standard for benchmarking and stability tests? Those are what I been using.

6 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Power target on 1080 ti ftw3 and overclocking 2017/05/19 14:33:04 (permalink)
    117% on master. 127% on slave. How to get the 127% working on the slave... https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2671220

Those temps are normal for idle. I believe the card will start to dynamically adjust itself once 84c is hit. Max voltage on the ftw3 is 1.062v-1.093v. Unigine superposition is the newest benchmark. Just because you're stable in one app doesn't mean you'll be stable in another, make sure you test each of your games for stability.
    smitherific
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: Power target on 1080 ti ftw3 and overclocking 2017/05/19 14:57:29 (permalink)
    Sajin
    117% on master. 127% on slave. How to get the 127% working on the slave... https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2671220

Those temps are normal for idle. I believe the card will start to dynamically adjust itself once 84c is hit. Max voltage on the ftw3 is 1.062v-1.093v. Unigine superposition is the newest benchmark. Just because you're stable in one app doesn't mean you'll be stable in another, make sure you test each of your games for stability.

Thank you, that worked to get the power target to correctly display 127% on the slave bios. My power and memory temperature readings never change even if I max out their fans, unless the sensors don't activate/monitor temps unless they are above a certain threshold according to the selected bios? Temperators are Gpu at 34c, power at 36c, and memory at 35 even if I max out fans and never drop below that.

Edit: Googled and found the solution, all 9 temperature settings need to be enabled to show on osd for memory and power temps to be updated.
    post edited by smitherific - 2017/05/19 16:33:19
    tw1l1ght
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Power target on 1080 ti ftw3 and overclocking 2017/06/03 15:42:29 (permalink)
    smitherific
    Sajin

Thank you, that worked to get the power target to correctly display 127% on the slave bios. My power and memory temperature readings never change even if I max out their fans, unless the sensors don't activate/monitor temps unless they are above a certain threshold according to the selected bios? Temperators are Gpu at 34c, power at 36c, and memory at 35 even if I max out fans and never drop below that.

Edit: Googled and found the solution, all 9 temperature settings need to be enabled to show on osd for memory and power temps to be updated.

The lowest i have seen mine idle was 25c. But most of the time it stays at around 27-28c. I see a lot of people worrying about temps, I have to say that have a fan blowing under the gpu from the side is important, i would think some people have no cooling under there other than the three fans blowing up. I tested this and found that when i play doom i get on average 10c cooler, which is incredible. Also i have to say that, but i do not advise it, using higher end thermal paste on there cooling block. Of course you would have to take it apart, there is a video on the net showing how to do so on youtube. High Idle temps may just be bad thermal pasting. Also i would think that room temperature has a bit to do with idle temps. But yeah, under load i strongly suggest and am sure people complain about all the time, there temps being a little too high, it is probably garbage case fans, and no fan blowing under the gpu, so the gpu keeps cycling cool air, rather than build a small camp fire under it.
    powermix24
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re: Power target on 1080 ti ftw3 and overclocking 2017/06/05 09:12:22 (permalink)
    my 1080Ti black edition SC does 120% +70 on core , + 300 on memory .

something is up on your end for sure .

Intel 9900K 5GHZ|Windows 10 AE|Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi|Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX|16GB GSkill RGB DDR4 3200Mz|EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra|EVGA G3 1000 Watt|EVGA DG-87 Case|Alienware 34'' Curved Gaming Monitor: AW3418DW
    Bridgeboy69
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Power target on 1080 ti ftw3 and overclocking 2017/07/17 13:57:58 (permalink)
    tw1l1ght

The lowest i have seen mine idle was 25c. But most of the time it stays at around 27-28c.

Mine idles at 55-56c all the time. I've never seen it lower than that, even just sitting at the desktop. And I have a very well ventilated case. Two 280mm Fans + One 240mm Fan intakes at front, Three 240mm Fans intake at top through AIO radiator. One 280mm exhaust fan in back, and tons of exhaust holes everywhere in my Mastercase 5 Pro.

I don't understand why ours would have such extremely different in temps.

Here is a pic of mine:

(I can't seem to upload any pics and it doesn't tell me why???)

kwkrnu72
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 598
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Power target on 1080 ti ftw3 and overclocking 2017/07/17 14:28:02 (permalink)
    smitherific
    I just got and setup my new ftw3 and I love it so far. What is the maximum power target on the master and slave bios? Mine caps at 117% on both, but I thought it went higher than that? I noticed that my power and memory temps never seem to fluctuate, they remain at 30c on power and 29c for memory on the default precision curve. The gpu hovers around 29c while idle (all 3 fans spin). Is that normal or is there a way to check of the reading is wrong? 

When I tried overclocking (+50 gpu offset), it would run fine at the higher clocks, but then the card  would lower clocks after a little bit. Does it begin to throttle itself after a certain temp? My last card was a 780, which would throttle. What is the max voltage on the ft3? I doubt I would run it at max voltage 24/7, but I do want to see how much it can overclock. Also, are unigine valley and heaven 4.0 still the standard for benchmarking and stability tests? Those are what I been using.

With boost 3.0, the NVIDIA GPUs will adjust voltage / core clocks all along the operating temp spectrum.  I've seen it happen with core temps as low as 15c.  If you watch it closely, you'll notice that it does this about every 10-12c or so.

Use Unigine's Superposition, Firestrike Ultra or Timespy.  Valley and Heaven, with high end GPUs are CPU limited.  Valley much more than Heaven, but they're both limited and aren't really very good stability tests any more because of it.  They're more in the "overall PC benchmark" category now, with Valley being, very much, a CPU benchmark.  

With Pascal, when overclocking, temps are EVERYTHING.  Lower temps mean higher boost clocks and better performance.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile