Power Supply 850 BQ Questions!

Author
gamernut78
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 383
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/12/07 22:06:45 (permalink)
I need EVGA tech support to talk to me here but I'll give it a shot. I usually use my PSU PCIE- 6 pin+2 pin attached thing on my PSU and power my video card. I decided to switch to the 2 6 pin connector splitter that came with the PSU and I wonder if it's okay to use the splitter? I plugged in my 2 6 pin connectors and the one that has a 2 pin split on the  VGA splitter that splits 2 six pins and it connects to my video card as a 8 pin. Are these okay or should I strictly use the PSU to connect it anyways?

I remember reading Tom's Hardware and they mentioned that it draws more power with the splitter 150w and the regular PSU connector draws 75w. So I assumed I would need to boost my video card for better performance. I like the way it is now cuz I noticed how smoother games are. I may tweak the graphic settings and see if the textures would stop popping out late. I just hope it doesn't cause any issues or anything. I would like to RMA my card because I am picky about the thermal seepage but nothing is serious and was told it was harmless and non-conductive and normal. I ain't worried about it. However, is this safe to use? Why and what purpose does it serve? I like the 2 6 pin connector splitter that leads to the 8 pin connector. It helps me route my cables easier. I wonder if this will affect anything to my system? Will these power affect anything towards my CPU and everything? I think it will be fine. I would like to be educated what purpose does this help with. Is there a difference?

I am gonna test some more games today and see how well it performs. So far Battlefront 2 looks good and there is a slight texture pop up.  Battlefield 1 runs flawless really well. Only tiny pop ups. I will report back if any other games have changes. I was told I should lower my graphics more to make it reduced. So maybe yea it could be that. I always thought maybe my SSD and HDD are getting old. I'll figure it out. It's been running for a good long time now.

These are my specs.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K overclocked to 4.4ghz auto voltage. (Might switch to i7 3770K due to Hyperthreading options but dunno if need to.)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Gunmetal case.(
Corsair Cooler heatsink h100iv2: Phantom has two 200mm fans as exhaust (Might switch back to default as intake) Corsair Cooler h100iv2 with two intake 120mm fans. 140mm rear fan as exhaust and 1 200mm side fan as intake. 200mm fan as intake in front of the case. Temps are normal and fine. Nothing more than 50C so far. Never seen it go past that too high. Used to be a lot lower when I had my top 200mm fan as intake. No idea if it's causing air pressure in my case towards my video card so I changed it to exhaust because I wanted heat to escape more. I liked how COOLER the case was originally though without changing the intake 200mm fan on top. Both of them.)
Motherboard: Sabertooth z77 Ivy Bridge
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB SSC version from Best Buy. I miss my 970 SSC 4GB card! Such a great card too! (I promise myself to NEVER purchase from Best Buy again!) EVGA or NewEgg from now on!
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB (2012) <--Will consider a new SSD because I am running out of space already and I need an bigger drive.
HDD: WD Black 1TB (2010)--bought from a local shop. (I will pay attention to the dates and recent data such as write and reading stats) May consider a Seagate HD  or WD Blue or WD Black HD since they are better for PC Gaming.
HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2010) bought from a local shop. (I will pay attention to the dates and recent data such as write and reading stats) Maybe another WD Black HD since it's more up to date.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 4x4GB (bought in 2013) I always wanted 32GB! Solid rocking RAM!
MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (2013) Been running SOLID very good for years! I do want a i7 3770k just to have hyper threading but I doubt I should because they perform the same as my processor but my processor lacks Hyper threading though!
PSU: EVGA 850 BQ Power Supply
Monitor: BENQ 1920X1080p 4ms (2014) <--very old! May want a new monitor but meh! I am okay with it.
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit.

Please help me earn some bucks to save money in the future as a team player and gamer!
My Rewards Program Code: 6JD2JTSGVP

6 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Power Supply 850 BQ Questions! 2018/12/07 22:38:02 (permalink)
    gamernut78
    I need EVGA tech support to talk to me here but I'll give it a shot. I usually use my PSU PCIE- 6 pin+2 pin attached thing on my PSU and power my video card. I decided to switch to the 2 6 pin connector splitter that came with the PSU and I wonder if it's okay to use the splitter? I plugged in my 2 6 pin connectors and the one that has a 2 pin split on the  VGA splitter that splits 2 six pins and it connects to my video card as a 8 pin. Are these okay or should I strictly use the PSU to connect it anyways?

I remember reading Tom's Hardware and they mentioned that it draws more power with the splitter 150w and the regular PSU connector draws 75w. So I assumed I would need to boost my video card for better performance. I like the way it is now cuz I noticed how smoother games are. I may tweak the graphic settings and see if the textures would stop popping out late. I just hope it doesn't cause any issues or anything. I would like to RMA my card because I am picky about the thermal seepage but nothing is serious and was told it was harmless and non-conductive and normal. I ain't worried about it. However, is this safe to use? Why and what purpose does it serve? I like the 2 6 pin connector splitter that leads to the 8 pin connector. It helps me route my cables easier. I wonder if this will affect anything to my system? Will these power affect anything towards my CPU and everything? I think it will be fine. I would like to be educated what purpose does this help with. Is there a difference?

I am gonna test some more games today and see how well it performs. So far Battlefront 2 looks good and there is a slight texture pop up.  Battlefield 1 runs flawless really well. Only tiny pop ups. I will report back if any other games have changes. I was told I should lower my graphics more to make it reduced. So maybe yea it could be that. I always thought maybe my SSD and HDD are getting old. I'll figure it out. It's been running for a good long time now.

These are my specs.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K overclocked to 4.4ghz auto voltage. (Might switch to i7 3770K due to Hyperthreading options but dunno if need to.)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Gunmetal case.(
    Corsair Cooler heatsink h100iv2: Phantom has two 200mm fans as exhaust (Might switch back to default as intake) Corsair Cooler h100iv2 with two intake 120mm fans. 140mm rear fan as exhaust and 1 200mm side fan as intake. 200mm fan as intake in front of the case. Temps are normal and fine. Nothing more than 50C so far. Never seen it go past that too high. Used to be a lot lower when I had my top 200mm fan as intake. No idea if it's causing air pressure in my case towards my video card so I changed it to exhaust because I wanted heat to escape more. I liked how COOLER the case was originally though without changing the intake 200mm fan on top. Both of them.)
    Motherboard: Sabertooth z77 Ivy Bridge
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB SSC version from Best Buy. I miss my 970 SSC 4GB card! Such a great card too! (I promise myself to NEVER purchase from Best Buy again!) EVGA or NewEgg from now on!
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB (2012) <--Will consider a new SSD because I am running out of space already and I need an bigger drive.
    HDD: WD Black 1TB (2010)--bought from a local shop. (I will pay attention to the dates and recent data such as write and reading stats) May consider a Seagate HD  or WD Blue or WD Black HD since they are better for PC Gaming.
    HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2010) bought from a local shop. (I will pay attention to the dates and recent data such as write and reading stats) Maybe another WD Black HD since it's more up to date.
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 4x4GB (bought in 2013) I always wanted 32GB! Solid rocking RAM!
    MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (2013) Been running SOLID very good for years! I do want a i7 3770k just to have hyper threading but I doubt I should because they perform the same as my processor but my processor lacks Hyper threading though!
    PSU: EVGA 850 BQ Power Supply
    Monitor: BENQ 1920X1080p 4ms (2014) <--very old! May want a new monitor but meh! I am okay with it.
    Operating System: Windows 10 64bit.

It is better to not use the splitter. It is there for PSUs that do not have the proper connector. Put another way, using the splitter is incorrect when you have the correct connector on your PSU.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Power Supply 850 BQ Questions! 2018/12/07 23:14:30 (permalink)
    Oh damn Okay I didn't realize that.  How can that harm the system if it serves the same purpose? Wouldn't that make any difference anyways? I'll take it off and leave the original connector back o well. But I was told that having the splitter increases more power compared to using a single connector? I read about it on forums in Tom's Hardware and someone had a EVGA PSU and he wondered what the splitter was for and they claimed that it draws more power by using that compared using a single connector? Am I wrong this is incorrect?

Please help me earn some bucks to save money in the future as a team player and gamer!
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Power Supply 850 BQ Questions! 2018/12/08 00:42:17 (permalink)
    Link the article you read.

A 6pin connector technically provides 75w, and an 8 pin provides 150.

So using two 6 pins provides the same as one 8 pin.

I believe you misunderstood what you read, but there is no way to verify what you read without the information being provided by link.
    gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Power Supply 850 BQ Questions! 2018/12/08 00:47:09 (permalink)
    I don't have the link. I came across Tom's Hardware somewhere so I cannot find it lol. So using the splitter is pointless? Does it display 150 watts anyways or do I use the 6 pin connector that has a 2 little pin to push together to be 8 pin? That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. My grammar sucks.

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Power Supply 850 BQ Questions! 2018/12/08 10:17:57 (permalink)
    gamernut78
    I don't have the link. I came across Tom's Hardware somewhere so I cannot find it lol. So using the splitter is pointless? Does it display 150 watts anyways or do I use the 6 pin connector that has a 2 little pin to push together to be 8 pin? That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. My grammar sucks.

Yes you just use the single 6+2 direct from the PSU. That will supply the 150 watts the GPU needs. What you may be confused with is some PSU have single cables with two 8 pin PCIe power plugs on the ends. In that case it is recommended you use two separate PCIe power cables from the PSU to each PCIe power input on GPUs with TWO PCIe power inputs. As your GPU has only has a SINGLE PCIe input, that does not apply here.
    You should only be using the PCIe cable direct from the PSU.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Power Supply 850 BQ Questions! 2018/12/08 16:14:36 (permalink)
    Well this PSU has 2 6 pins and one with 2 splitter on it to be a 8. Noted. I will take the splitter off then and switch to the single 6+2 pin. Thanks.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile