EVGA

Potential z170 Stinger Issue

Author
HelloGorilla
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/04/05 01:31:20 (permalink)
Read the sticky but I think it's more appropriate if I post here.

Here we go from the top, but here's my specs for reference:
Mobo: EVGA Z170 Stinger
CPU: i5-6600k
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2133mhz DDR4 8Gx2
GPU: RX480 8GB

I've been with my current system for the better part of 2.3 years. Yesterday however, as I was playing Quake Champions (don't play it and BUY 'DIABOTICAL'), my screen suddenly turned black. The PC itself was still running however, as I could clearly hear the in-game sounds. I checked to make sure it wasn't a display port issue, and it wasn't. Tried all button combinations to get it respond, but nothing was working. I've got a EVGA Z170 Stinger motherboard, so I tried jumping into the BIOS by hitting the Clear CMOS button. Problem was, I couldn't access the BIOS. I'd be spamming F12 and other appropriate keys, but it just wasn't having it.

The PC was still restarting fine, however I noticed that the motherboard splashscreen was no longer coming up. It would go straight to the very cheap looking windows loading bar and boot to desktop. Obviously I found it weird that I couldn't access the BIOS, so I figured I'll just install the latest BIOS firmware. I downloaded the latest BIOS driver from EVGA website, and installed it after downloading. When the PC reset, that was that.

It would no longer boot to BIOS, let alone past it.The LED kept cycling through a few post codes, hanging on 4C at the end for a few seconds, and repeating the cycle. Checking the post code on the manual wasn't helpful, and so I began searching up the issue on the internet. As those already in the know, the 4C post code isn't something specific, but it means something is definitely wrong. Reading through existing threads, I tried a number of things:

-Taking out mobo battery for over an hour,
-Taking out the GPU and trying to boot with just CPU and RAM,
-Trying the above but with just one RAM (alternating through both slots),
-Trying different RAM.
-Check the CPU throne for bent pins (there are none).

The different RAM I tried was from a friend. They were GSKILL 3000mhz DDR4 8Gx2. I was running the HyperX Fury 2133mhz DDR4 8Gx2. He agreed to swap with me for a couple of hours so I could guarantee it wasn't a RAM issue. My RAM was working on his system fine, and I was still getting the same issue on my board with his only 1 month old RAM.

This is when I decided to pull everything out and try again. Here's what it looks unpowered (note only the CPU and mobo power cables are plugged in):

Here's what I get when I power the mobo without RAM:

It cycles through a few postcodes and hangs a little longer on 53 (meaning no usable memory is detected, which is fine).

And here it is when I add in a single RAM stick into slot 1:

Once again, it cycles though a number of post codes and hangs at 4C for a little longer.

It's at this point that I decided to make a thread just to get some outside opinion. I find it unlikely that the PSU is the culprit, even more so that the BIOS update would ruin the mobo like this, but what the hell do I know. For whatever reason, it feels like the motherboard went insane (for whatever reason), and isn't recognizing/reading the RAM.

Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear your thoughts.
post edited by HelloGorilla - 2019/04/05 01:38:55

Attached Image(s)

6 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Potential z170 Stinger Issue 2019/04/05 01:51:02 (permalink)
    I would call evga and request for them to send you a replacement bios chip with the latest bios flashed to the chip, and replace your current one with the one evga sends you.
    HelloGorilla
    Re: Potential z170 Stinger Issue 2019/04/05 02:19:57 (permalink)
    So it's actually possible that the update I installed borked the bios chip? Didn't know that, and it does make sense I guess. Thanks.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Potential z170 Stinger Issue 2019/04/05 09:15:56 (permalink)
    Take out the Graphics card, clear CMOS, and use the onboard/iGPU graphics.

Format and create a bootable USB Flash Drive on another Windows PC using the default settings in Rufus.

Download/Extract the E172_flashtool_205.zip for the Stinger using 7-Zip (if needed).

Copy the contents in the extracted E172_flashtool_205 folder (not the folder itself) to the bootable USB Flash Drive.

Insert the USB Flash Drive in your PC and disconnect all other drives (HDD/CD-ROM) so that the Flash Drive is seen as the only possible boot device.

Start your PC and see if it'll (hopefully) boot to a DOS command prompt where you (hopefully) may be able to do a low-level flash in DOS.

Type in update or update.bat at the Command Prompt and press Enter, follow any on-screen prompts and hope for the best.

Good luck.

If that don't work, then get another BIOS chip (which will have the latest) from EVGA as stated above.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

gbaker3
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 121
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Potential z170 Stinger Issue 2019/04/05 11:06:24 (permalink)
    Sounds like your original problem was due to the video card. I agree that it now sounds like your BIOS flash borked your BIOS chip, so you will likely need to contact EVGA for a replacement. Never ever use the windows tool to flash a BIOS. I have never understood why the tool even exists. I think that nearly every BIOS flash problem thread in this forum starts with "Flashed BIOS through windows flash utility". I am writing this more for others that may read this thread, as it is too late for your case.

HelloGorilla
    Re: Potential z170 Stinger Issue 2019/04/05 20:16:21 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Good luck.

If that don't work, then get another BIOS chip (which will have the latest) from EVGA as stated above.

No dice man. Nothing comes up on screen, just the same 4C cycle. Looks the the bios chip committed suicide. Thanks anyway.

gbaker3
    Sounds like your original problem was due to the video card. I agree that it now sounds like your BIOS flash borked your BIOS chip, so you will likely need to contact EVGA for a replacement. Never ever use the windows tool to flash a BIOS. I have never understood why the tool even exists. I think that nearly every BIOS flash problem thread in this forum starts with "Flashed BIOS through windows flash utility". I am writing this more for others that may read this thread, as it is too late for your case.

This is what I'm wondering now. There was no warning or anything of the sort with the download file/install method, yet it has quite a detrimental affect. At the time you don't think anything of it, just a simple BIOS update that will sort out the slight issues you're having, and then this happens.

All part of the learning experience I guess. I've sent an email out to EVGA and we'll go from there. I'll keep the thread updated for archiving purposes. Thanks all, highly appreciated.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Potential z170 Stinger Issue 2019/04/05 23:41:39 (permalink)
    Just FYI.

If a replacement BIOS chip fixes it, you can hot-swap the old BIOS chip back in while your PC is running in Windows and then try re-flashing it..Then power off and put the new BIOS chip back in again..That way, if successful, you'll have 2 working BIOS chips for your board, keeping the old one as a spare.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile