EVGA

Post Code C and Memory LED?

Author
harrisw3533
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/03/08 15:23:05 (permalink)
I'm trying to upgrade from my Z370 FTW to a Z370 Classified K that is still under warranty. The problem is, the Classified K reads post code C as soon as you press the power button. I've been trying to troubleshoot it on a bench. I'm using a i3 8350K CPU (tested good in a Gigabyte Z370 board), 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM (that I previously had in the Z370 FTW motherboard before upgrading ram), all 3 CPU power connectors plugged in (no CPU error lights), 24 pin connected with 5V detected via LED, I even have the supplemental PCIe 6 pin connected just to eliminate that as a problem, even though I haven't yet connected a GPU (because of this problem). PSU is the EVGA 1000w G3 that was previously powering my Z370 FTW board with all the same cables. SSD connected via SATA port, HDMI connected via onboard connector, USB mouse and keyboard. No matter what I do, which BIOS, whether pressing the CMOS button/removing the battery, or which slots I install ram in, or whether or not I install only one or both sticks of ram, nor how many times I reseat the CPU, I get the same result. Power on is instantly met with post code C and the memory error LED in red. It's also done it with my i7 8700K CPU. There seems to be no physical damage to the board on the front, back, traces, nothing. I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb, so to speak, and have turned up nothing obvious.

Should I just RMA the board?

3 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Post Code C and Memory LED? 2020/03/08 19:19:08 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums.

EVGA FAQs: Post Code C indicates an issue with the CPU. This can be caused by a defective CPU, out of spec Power Supply, Bent CPU socket pins, CPU incompatible with BIOS version or defective Motherboard. (That mobo has support those CPUs you tried right from the get-go, BIOS Version 1.00)

Motherboard Manual Page 16: 8-pin EPS Connector
    The EPS is dedicated power for the CPU (See Page 38 for more specifics to the connector itself, and associated wiring/pinouts). Carefully choose the correct power cable by consulting with the installation manual for your power supply.  This connector is designed to only work with an EPS or CPU cable.  System builders sometimes make the mistake of plugging in a PCIe 8-pin or 6+2-pin connector, which will prevent the board from completing POST and possibly short or damage the board. Although PCIe and EPS cables appear similar, they are wired differently and attaching the wrong connector may cause damage to the motherboard. Alternatively, if no power cable is connected or detected, the system will not POST and will hang at POST code “C.”

Motherboard Manual Page 38: The 8-pin ATX 12V power connection(s), is used to provide power to the CPU.  Align the pins to the connector and press firmly until seated. The secondary EPS, if present, is optional for improved overclocking.  Please remember to make sure that the tab on the EPS socket is aligned with the release clip on the cable. NOTE: If the tab and release clip are on opposite sides, yet the power connector fits, then you are using a PCIe 8-pin cable, which WILL damage the board if powered on.  Please review installation instructions from your power supply manufacturer to verify which connectors may be used for the CPU power.

The 8-pin CPU power connector is the only one you need connected at this time..The 4-pin connector is not essential to running the system, it provides additional power to the CPU better stability under a heavy load, overclocking, and/or benchmarking..Disconnect the 4-pin connector for now and reseat the 8-pin connector on the mobo and PSU-end..Turn off Eco Mode for now too on the PSU.

Just for kicks, you could try the other BIOS..Slide the switch located above the Intel SATA ports and then restart your PC.

If all else fails, Contact EVGA Customer Service about an RMA..If you need to RMA, be sure to read the Shipping Guidelines about how, what/what not to send back.

Also be sure to read the Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members if you haven't yet..Lots of good info there for you.

Good luck with it!

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

harrisw3533
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Post Code C and Memory LED? 2020/03/08 19:46:38 (permalink)
    I've been through all of that, other than the RMA. I guess that I forgot to mention that switching between BIOS makes no difference. No CPU power error LED indicator. I've reseated both the 8 pin and 4 pin CPU power connectors multiple times, etc, etc. I started all this with only the 8 pin connector and have been plugging everything that /may/ be necessary or helpful, just in case. I don't use eco mode on the PSU. The cables I'm using for CPU power are the included EPS/CPU cables (labeled CPU).

So RMA then? Nothing else to troubleshoot?
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Post Code C and Memory LED? 2020/03/08 21:11:34 (permalink)
    Yeah, sounds like RMA time.

Return the Z370 Classified K to wherever you bought it from, if you can, or RMA it to EVGA, whichever is better for you.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile