EVGA

Please Help With Overclocking CPU (i5 2550k) and DDR3 1600 RAM in Intel Visual Bios

Author
Maverick115
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/27 22:11:14 (permalink)
I recently "upgraded" to a new motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, and PSU after I damaged my old CPU and motherboard.  It wasn't much of an upgrade because I wasn't sure what
components were damaged and I wanted to swap as few parts as possible so I tried to stick to my old LGA socket.  Unfortunately, it turned out that I had to replace both the CPU
and motherboard (nearly everything).  Still, I did net an upgrade from an I5 2400 to an i5 2550K CPU.  

I've never overclocked before, but I'd like to now to get the most out of this CPU.  I also learned that the RAM which I had was underclocked by default and I'd like to
"overclock" it to run it at its stock rates.  My new motherboard is an Intel DZ77BH-55K whose BIOS I updated to the latest version which is Intel Visual Bios.  
Intel Visual Bios seems to be designed to make overclocking easy.  But as I've never overclocked before and I'd like to be as careful and informed as possible, I'd like as much
advice and information as possible first.  

For CPU overclocking the Intel Visual Bios overclock assistant provides a simple slider which ranges from 3.8 GHz (default) to 4.5 GHz.  As near as I can tell, however,
overclocking with this slider ONLY affects the Turboboost speed.  Is this a good way to overclock or the best way to overclock - to only change the Turboboost speed?  If not,
how would I go about it?  I plan to run Prime95 for 30 minutes afterwards to test stability and use Speccy to monitor temps.  Is there anything else I should do as part of the
overclock process (I've never overclocked before)?  Also, should I increase fan speed in Bios (and how do I do this - there is a cool simple setting in visual bios I'm
considering)?  At stock speeds it's already running in the 70's under load.  

This is my RAM: 4x4GB https://www.newegg.com/Pr...x?Item=N82E16820233180
There is a slider in BIOS for RAM which I could slide to 1600.  But there's also a Performance Memory Profile drop-down box which has an option for an XMP-1600 profile.  That
profile and the slider at 1600 have very different values.  Which should I use?  

Finally, how much will these overclocks increase my power usage? I only care because I actually downgraded my PSU from 750W to 650W (b/c a 650 was the spare I had lying
around). Fortunately, I think 750 was way more than I needed before and 650 might be more than enough now. Thanks all for any advice you can give. 

5 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Please Help With Overclocking CPU (i5 2550k) and DDR3 1600 RAM in Intel Visual Bios 2017/04/28 05:11:36 (permalink)
    What you need:
    1. To accept the risk of CPU/Hardware damage/failure from overclocking
    2. A good CPU cooler
    3. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility
    4. Real Temp
    5. Intel Burn Test
    6. To read some guides on overclocking Sandy Bridge CPUs such as this one (i5-2500K, the same for all intents and purposes) or on YouTube about the Visual BIOS Overview or wherever else you can find.

What you need to know:
    The maximum CPU cores temperature is 98C (I think, but Real Temp will tell you the Tj Max in the Settings tab)..That is when the CPU hits PROCHOT and throttles down the cores..You want to keep the cores temps below 80C-85C under the most demanding tests.

Increasing the CPU frequency will at some point require more CPU Voltage (Vcore)..More Vcore = More heat..I prefer using an Offset Voltage rather than a fixed voltage..Offset Voltage will cause the Vcore to scale up with increased CPU load/frequency and back down when not needed..Change the CPU frequency by changing the Core Ratio for all cores (Turbo Boost ratio)..Leave Intel SpeedStep enabled.

As CPU load goes up, Vcore goes down..This is Intel Vdroop that helps prevent Vcore overshoot beyond Intel specs when the CPU goes from a loaded to an unloaded state..The Vdroop/Load Line Calibration setting controls that..I would set the Vdroop to one notch below the highest (least Vdroop)..The less Vdroop there is, the less the Vcore will droop/drop under load, enhancing stability..Vcore may actually increase on some settings, this can be desireable, to a certain extent, for stability during extreme overclocking, but can also cause CPU damage, so be careful with this setting and keep an eye on the Vcore under load..Do not allow Vcore to go above 1.5V under load.

What I would do:
    1. Set all the Core Ratio to 42 (4.2GHz) for now
    2. Set the CPU Voltage Offset to +.100 (1/10 volt)
    3. Set the Vdroop/Load Line Calibration to one notch below max
    4. Save settings and see if it boots into Windows
    5. Run 10 passes of Intel Burn Test to check stability, cores temps and Vcore

You can substitute the above mentioned tools for any of your liking, but you need to closely monitor cores temps and Vcore under load somehow..If you can't boot into Windows, or your PC crashes when stress testing, the CPU likely needs a little more Vcore by increasing the Offset Voltage..The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility can allow you to make temporary BIOS adjustments from within Windows instead of going into the BIOS every time to make hard changes and can help with tuning things in before making hard changes, and you can make profiles too.

That's the best I can tell you right now, and without readily finding a manual for your motherboard and not be real familiar with your particular mobo..The Intel Visual BIOS guide in the YouTube video linked above should be close, if not the same..Don't mess with overclocking the RAM until your CPU overclock is stable..Manually set the RAM to the Corsair speed, timing and voltage specs in the BIOS, not XMP unless there is no other choice..The overclock won't increase your power usage a whole lot, Real Temp has an estimated CPU wattage monitor.

Find the lowest stable Vcore.
    post edited by bob16314 - 2017/04/28 05:16:39

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Maverick115
    Re: Please Help With Overclocking CPU (i5 2550k) and DDR3 1600 RAM in Intel Visual Bios 2017/04/28 21:16:16 (permalink)
    These are my BIOS settings for my CPU (all default except for Processor VR Droop Control):

Processor VR Droop Control - High, Medium, or Low - defaults to High, I set to Low
    Voltage Offset (mV) 0
    Turbo Ratio 0
    Maximum Non-Turbo Ratio 34
    Host Clock Frequency 100

Runtime Turbo Ratio - Checked
    Intel Turbo Boost Technology - Checked
    Burst Mode Power Limit - 118 Watts
    Sustained Mode Power Limit - 95 Watts
    Sustained Mode Time - 1.5 seconds
    TDC Current Limit Override - 97 Amps
    Active Processor Cores - ALL
    Processor PLL - 1.85V
    Internal PLL Voltage Override - Unchecked
    Processor Idle State - Low Power
    Processor VR Droop Control Low V-droop (performance)
    Processor I/O (V) 1.050
    PCH Core (V) 1.050

You can see all the settings I have available here (this is almost like a manual for my BIOS):
    https://sites.google.com/site/visual...ance/processor

One modification I made was to change VR Droop from High to Low since saving power isn't a priority for me. Was this a good idea?
    I take back what I said earlier about the OC assistant slider only affecting Turbo Boost. It doesn't. It actually changes the Voltage Offset, Burst Mode Power Limit, Sustained Mode Power Limit, and TDC Current Limit Override.  If I use the slider, the turbo core ratio stays at 0 no matter where I move the slider. So, should I overclock with the slider or by manually adjusting the ratio/voltages? Should I change the maximum non-turbo ratio as well or just the turbo ratio?  And what voltages should I change? As you can see above there are lots of different voltages and power limits. Overclock guides reference stuff like Vcore, QPI/VTT(VCCIO), and System Agent Voltage (VCCSA) that I don't see in my BIOS.  Most importantly, which one of my settings is Vcore - voltage offset? 
    post edited by Maverick115 - 2017/04/28 21:33:41
    loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Please Help With Overclocking CPU (i5 2550k) and DDR3 1600 RAM in Intel Visual Bios 2017/04/28 23:45:56 (permalink)
    That would be your voltage offset. Wish I could help more, but your BIOS is highly unusual compared to the rest of the industry.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Please Help With Overclocking CPU (i5 2550k) and DDR3 1600 RAM in Intel Visual Bios 2017/04/29 03:14:57 (permalink)
    I don't know why the Overclocking Assistant doesn't increase the Core Ratio, odd..The Overclocking Assistant would be what we refer to as a "Dummy Overclock" thing anyway..Best to overclock manually.

In the Processor Primary Settings, I would set the 1/2/3/4-Core Turbo Ratio to 42 (that's 4.2GHz with a 100MHz Host Clock)..The Vdroop on Low should probably be okay..Try using a +100mV (0.1V) Voltage Offset for now..You may need to set the Maximum Non-Turbo Ratio to 42 also to get 4.2GHz (which may override the individual core ratio adjustment anyway like my BIOS does, but that's okay), or preferrably set it to Auto if that's an option..I would leave everything else be and see how it works out..If it works, then you can lower the Vcore/Offset incrementally (say 50mV) until it crashes/freezes, then bump it up incrementally again until it works.

Did I mention you can use CPU-Z for quickly checking CPU clock speed and voltage in real time?..Wait, lemme check..Nope, I didn't, the wife had me take out the garbage at the time and I lost my train of though..So yeah, you can use CPU-Z too.

There may come a time that your PC may not boot into BIOS due to monkeying around with the settings and make a change it chokes on..Then you would need to clear CMOS to reset everything back to defaults and begin again..That's one of the joys of overclocking.

Not super familiar with your specific board/BIOS or how it acts, I can just give you the overclocking basics (or a little more) on it and some tips, so you'll need to play with it on your own..I think you should be able to get to 4.2GHz pretty easy..The goal for now is to get to 4.2GHz with as low of a Vcore (Offset) as is stable..Keep a close eye on the cores temps and voltage..Yes, Voltage Offset is the Vcore.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Maverick115
    Re: Please Help With Overclocking CPU (i5 2550k) and DDR3 1600 RAM in Intel Visual Bios 2017/05/02 09:53:05 (permalink)
    BTW, I figured out that if I uncheck Runtime Turbo Ratio, it displays the individual turbo ratios for each core.  And when I do this, moving the OC assistant slider does change the turbo core ratios properly.  So I'll be doing this. 

Anyay, I haven't overclocked my CPU at all yet, still waiting to install a new cooler as someone recommended and still researching/gathering info.

There is one alarming thing I discovered. As I said, I still haven't overclocked my CPU at all. Running at BIOS defaults for my CPU, CPU-Z reports my Core Voltage at 1.32 V under load (while running CPU-Z's own Stress CPU test from its Bench tab). It fluctuates between 1.312 V and 1.32 V but is at 1.32 V most of the time. Temps gradually rise to about 75 C. Like I said, this is at stock settings - 3.8 GHz Turbo @0 voltage offset. I didn't change anything in BIOS related to CPU except Vdroop. So I thought maybe my Vdroop change was to blame, so I changed Vdroop back to the default value of High. There was no difference - it was still at 1.32 V while running the CPU-Z stress test.

The reason this bothers me is because these Vcore values are basically overclock Vcore values for other people with the same processor. Also, since it's pretty close to the max safe Vcore, it doesn't leave me with much room to increase voltages for when I do overclock.

So, my questions are, is this normal? Is this good or bad? What Vcore values should I be getting at stock (non-overclocked) settings for my i5-2550k? Since Vcore is already so high, does this mean that I can try increasing my core multipliers without increasing voltage?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile