EVGA

PlayStation 3 Emulator Delivers Modest Speed-Ups with Disabled E-Cores on Intel Alder Lake

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/11/24 00:19:16 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/289238/playstation-3-emulator-delivers-modest-speed-ups-with-disabled-e-cores-on-intel-alder-lake-processors

According to some testing performed by the team behind RPCS3, a free and open-source emulation software for Sony's PlayStation 3, Intel's Alder Lake processors are enjoying a hefty performance boost when E-Cores is disabled. First of all, the Alder Lake processors feature a hybrid configuration with high-performance P-cores and low-power E-cores. The P-cores are based on Golden Cove architecture and can execute AVX-512 instructions with ease. However, the AVX-512 boost is only applicable when E-cores are disabled as software looks at the whole package. Officially, Alder Lake processors don't support AVX-512, as the processor's little E-cores cannot execute AVX-512 instruction.

Thanks to the team behind the RPCS3 emulator, we have some information and tests that suggest that turning E-cores off gives a performance boost to the emulation speed and game FPS. With E-Cores disabled, and only P-cores left, the processor can execute AVX-512 and gets a higher ring ratio. This means that latency in the ring bus is presumably lower. The team benchmarked Intel Core i9-12900K, and Core i9-11900K processors clocked at 5.2 GHz for tests. The Alder Lake chip had disabled E-cores. In God of War: Ascension, the Rocket Lake processor produced 68 FPS, while Alder Lake produced 78 FPS, representing around 15% improvement.

This suggests that more applications can take advantage of disabling E-cores, especially if the application has support for AVX-512 instructions, where only P-cores can execute them. So it remains to be seen throughout trial and error if more cases like this appear.

I think it is a pain to have to disable Intel E-cores to get better performance. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

1 Reply Related Threads

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: PlayStation 3 Emulator Delivers Modest Speed-Ups with Disabled E-Cores on Intel Alder 2021/11/24 04:02:57 (permalink)
    I don’t believe that there are many members of the forum who are using Alder Lake at the present time.  Hopefully this problem can be fixed via a patch in RPCS3.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile