EVGA

Persistent crash during gaming that takes my desktop down.

Author
nstgc
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/08 18:01:12 (permalink)
I've had a problem with games sometime crashing and taking much of my system down with it (can't move mouse and keyboard is locked out). This happens across all kinds of games and has been going on for...about a year now, but has been getting worse. Or, more likely, I've been playing more games. Either way, this is pretty annoying.

Fortunately, I do most of my gaming on Linux, and can `SysRq + R,E` to kill everything without having to reboot. This means that I could check for errors. I probably should have checked my journal, but I just wanted to get back into my game and ran `dmesg -l err` which returned

[46769.859249] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 31, pid=4706, Ch 0000003b, intr 10000000. MMU Fault: ENGINE GRAPHICS GPCCLIENT_RAST faulted @ 0x0_00000000. Fault is of type FAULT_PDE ACCESS_TYPE_WRITE

This lead me to: https://docs.nvidia.com/deploy/xid-errors/#topic_5_2

This event is logged when a fault is reported by the MMU, such as when an illegal address access is made by an applicable unit on the chip Typically these are application-level bugs, but can also be driver bugs or hardware bugs.

This is not an especially common bug, so it seems debugging isn't practical (also, I've never been good at that). I'm wondering what I should do.

Info:
Graphics card: EVGA 950 (02G-P4-2956-KR)
Drivers: 435.21 (but has been going on for way longer than that has been around)
OS: Mostly Arch, but also the venerable Windows 7 Pro 64b.

3 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Persistent crash during gaming that takes my desktop down. 2019/11/09 00:00:09 (permalink)
    The PSU or the card failing (or overheating) would be the most common things, but could also be RAM related.

Reseat the card in the PCIe slot and maybe clean it's 'gold fingers' with a pencil eraser and some isopropyl alcohol, and also reseat the 6-pin PCIe Supplemental Power Connector on the card and the PSU-end if it's a modular cable.

Check to make sure the +12V is, and remains, within spec..Also make sure the RAM is set to the mfgr's. rated frequency/timing/voltage specs and a 2T/2N CMD (Command Rate) in the mobo BIOS.

You can use EVGA Precision XOC (or MSI Afterburner) to monitor GPU temp..You can also downclock the GPU/Mem as far as possible with either one of those to see if that matters.

See: How can I check my power supply's 12v rail voltage in my motherboard's BIOS? in the EVGA FAQs.

Use Memtest for checking the RAM for errors.

Use HWiNFO (Free) to see the Current/Min/Max/Average voltages..The software readings should be very close to the actual.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

nstgc
    • Total Posts : 25
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Persistent crash during gaming that takes my desktop down. 2019/11/09 05:25:49 (permalink)
    All my BIOS voltages are fine and my RAM settings are good. I haven't checked the other yet, but I sure intend to. I did check the GPU temperature a few months ago during operations and was surprised at how low it was, so I'm pretty sure that's still good.

Thanks. I hope to get the other relevant results posted sometime this weekend. I actually made this post thinking it would be a clear "nah, its software" and therefore require less work on my part than looking for a software issue. But I will do it eventually.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Persistent crash during gaming that takes my desktop down. 2019/11/09 06:24:22 (permalink)
    Is any part of your system OC ---> Including XMP for your RAM ?

Test with Everything @ Stock

What CPU, MB & other devices installed or connected to the PC ?

web search: Solution & MMU Fault: ENGINE GRAPHICS GPCCLIENT_RAST faulted @ 0x0_00000000  (many results)

NVRM errors appear to be errors with the Nvidia kernel module

Reseat the GPU & remove & reconnect the Power to the card

Test with an Old Nvidia driver

Things like C++ fully up to date ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile