EVGA

Pcie slots?

Author
D MO 1
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/12/08 15:41:54 (permalink)
Hi , Im doing a special build. Its an upgrade to a old pre- dell alienware chassis . These were originally a collaboration between alienware and evga. I want to keep it all evga as it was originally but I’m not sure its possible. Its used in a audio production home studio… The problem I’m having is that evga doesn’t seem to make a current motherboard that has enough pcie slots to do any work without going with a xeon processor.. xeons are unsuitable for audio production. I need to be able to have two graphics cards for multiple monitors. A firewire adapter card a network expansion card and usb expansion as well. And run a 12 gen core i9… am i missing something or does evga just build boards just for test benches now?

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Pcie slots? 2022/12/08 16:31:17 (permalink)
    Congrats on your first post

Intel has been limiting PCIe lanes from CPU since X99 and some X299 MB ..... depending on the CPU you install

You may have better luck with an AMD, MB - however those are also limited in PCIe lanes, until you get to the workstation type

Make sure you start your search by checking the CPU specs, look for the number of PCIe lanes it will support, then find a MB

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

D MO 1
    Re: Pcie slots? 2022/12/10 09:31:05 (permalink)
    I see thank you.. i have to research the possibility of future intel extreme processors and maybe hold off or a threadripper.. both of which will be waste of money for my needs… great…
    D MO 1
    Re: Pcie slots? 2022/12/10 09:33:06 (permalink)
    You could build us a board with only say one or even no m.2 slots on it and add pcie slots instead though. Especially now that they’re capable of being mounted off board with the new cable tech. Because there’s no way im letting any company force me into spending more money than I have to, and I’m sure I’m not alone..I’ll buy used before i let that happen..
    post edited by D MO 1 - 2022/12/10 10:07:04
    D MO 1
    Re: Pcie slots? 2022/12/10 10:11:31 (permalink)
    Or better yet make us an adaptor that fits in one of the m.2 slots, and coverts it to a however many lane pcie slot. Like a nvme riser but it positions the lane so it works with your case for that particular motherboard.That would be easy, Unless you guys are in on the racket too??
    post edited by D MO 1 - 2022/12/10 10:58:47
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Pcie slots? 2022/12/10 15:04:47 (permalink)
    D MO 1
    You could build us a board with only say one or even no m.2 slots on it and add pcie slots instead though. Especially now that they’re capable of being mounted off board with the new cable tech. Because there’s no way im letting any company force me into spending more money than I have to, and I’m sure I’m not alone..I’ll buy used before i let that happen..

Buy used. It’s a far better option for what you are looking to do. I just built two x299 systems for relatively cheap, and they would be able to support up to 44 lanes without going to a Xeon chip.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile