EVGA

PSU Only turns on for half a second

Author
CaptainMcShotgun
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/02 11:18:41 (permalink)
As the title says, it's not any other components. My PSU is the supernova G1 650 watt. It started a couple of days ago, pc was running fine then I went away for a while and came back to find my pc off. Thought I had power saving profile on and it only went into sleep but no, pressing the power button turned it on for about half a second and back off. I tried taking all the components apart removing any dust or debris and assembling the pc back together to no avail. But then the next day in the morning I tried to turn it back on and it worked, but then today the same thing. I used the included psu tester and the PSU is the component causing the issue, turns on for half a second and back off. Do you guys think it's some sort of overcurrent or short circuit protection?

8 Replies Related Threads

JacobB
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 522
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: PSU Only turns on for half a second 2018/09/02 12:23:51 (permalink)
    Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your power supply. By any chance, when you tested the power supply with the tester, did you isolate the unit to ONLY itself? If anything else is plugged in that could be causing this issue, it would show in the jumper test.
    Typically, this sort of behavior sounds like a failed graphics card. A simple way to test would be to simply unplug the power connections from the card and attempt to turn on the system. If the system turns on, you likely found your culprit. If the issue persists, I would try jumping the power supply once more, and double check that you completely removed all power connections to the card when Jumping your Power Supply (instructions in link). If the issue persists with the unit isolated, feel free to get in contact with us to look into any RMA options available for your unit!

-Jacob B.
    CaptainMcShotgun
    Re: PSU Only turns on for half a second 2018/09/02 12:29:08 (permalink)
    Yes I isolated the PSU. I tried different sockets and a couple of other power cables.

Edit: The PSU started working again. Completely isolated, I put it back in my system running furmark on my overclocked GTX 1060 6GB and cinema4D on my overclocked Ryzen 5 1600 stressing the PSU as much as possible but its power delivery seems to be fine because the system is working fine.
    post edited by CaptainMcShotgun - 2018/09/02 12:45:12
    CaptainMcShotgun
    Re: PSU Only turns on for half a second 2018/09/03 03:00:26 (permalink)
    Bump
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: PSU Only turns on for half a second 2018/09/03 05:26:05 (permalink)
    What assistance are you looking for? It wasn't working. Now it is. And then what? There's not much we can do but scratch our heads and shrug our shoulders. If you want EVGA's assistance, contact EVGA. This is a user to user forum and EVGA doesn't often represent itself here.

Contact EVGA:
    https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Create a support ticket against a particular EVGA product:
    https://www.evga.com/support/ticket/support.aspx

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

CaptainMcShotgun
    Re: PSU Only turns on for half a second 2018/09/03 05:46:24 (permalink)
    It's a power supply, you know. The thing that supplies power to the components, when it starts to die it's a pretty big deal. You might have enough money to buy your stuff back after your power supply kills everything in your pc but most others don't sorry. If you want to talk about something that's actually related it started doing the same thing again but this time it's repeatedly starting for half a second and working again.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: PSU Only turns on for half a second 2018/09/03 07:31:20 (permalink)
    Sounds like the PSU is suffering from an intermittent failure..I think if you RMA the thing and EVGA tests it and it works okay for them, they might say nothing is wrong with it and ship it back to you.

So, contact EVGA about it (as stated above in other posts) and tell them what's going on with it and what you did to test it and that if you were to RMA it, it might test good because it has an intermittent problem..My guess is that they will probably send you a new PSU.

How do I submit an RMA to EVGA?

When RMAing a product, what should I send in and how should I package the defective item?

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: PSU Only turns on for half a second 2018/09/03 10:37:16 (permalink)
    CaptainMcShotgun
    Bump

Bumping is NOT allowed on the EVGA forums

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

JacobB
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 522
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: PSU Only turns on for half a second 2018/09/04 13:31:03 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Sounds like the PSU is suffering from an intermittent failure..I think if you RMA the thing and EVGA tests it and it works okay for them, they might say nothing is wrong with it and ship it back to you.

So, contact EVGA about it (as stated above in other posts) and tell them what's going on with it and what you did to test it and that if you were to RMA it, it might test good because it has an intermittent problem..My guess is that they will probably send you a new PSU.

How do I submit an RMA to EVGA?

When RMAing a product, what should I send in and how should I package the defective item?

Just to clarify, generally speaking we do not send back the same unit that is sent to us. Our priority is to send back a replacement unit.
    post edited by EVGATech_JacobB - 2018/09/04 13:34:07
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile