EVGA

(PR) The Saga Continues: Intel Addresses New Research for Side-Channel Variant 4 Attacks

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2018/05/22 10:51:19 (permalink)
https://monctonlife.com/2018/05/pr-the-saga-continues-intel-addresses-new-research-for-side-channel-variant-4-attacks.html

The critical security problems of Spectre have forced Intel to invest more effort with worldwide researchers to find solutions to these types of similar exploits. Intel knows it has a reputation to uphold as well as the faith of companies that purchase their products. I personally believe Intel backed themselves against a wall and they have now doubled their efforts in security.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30994
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: (PR) The Saga Continues: Intel Addresses New Research for Side-Channel Variant 4 Attac 2018/05/22 11:21:18 (permalink)
    On CPU hardware encryption is about all they can do in the future ---> someone will still break that eventually

My understanding, the black hats still need access to your network first

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Ranmacanada
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 992
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: (PR) The Saga Continues: Intel Addresses New Research for Side-Channel Variant 4 Attac 2018/05/22 15:15:21 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    On CPU hardware encryption is about all they can do in the future ---> someone will still break that eventually

It doesn't help the fact that Intel has stopped developing firmware fixes for anything past Broadwell, and that some OEMs have refused to even address anything before Skylake.  There are so many "legacy" systems in deployment that are on the internet, which blackhats have access to, that it's not even funny.  This is extremely serious, and Intel is basically taking the "you need to replace everything because we seriously can't fix this" attitude.  All it takes is a legacy OS with an unpatchable browser.  Currently just over 6% of the world's PC's use windows xp, another 6% use a combination of 8 and 8.1.  Then there is the other 44.1% who use windows 7, whose support ends Jan 14, 2020.

You're thinking short term here.  There are still lots of people who are rocking Windows 7 because "10 sucks".  These people are going to be unpatchable, and they will all be rocking exploitable hardware because "4790k still gets me 100fps", just like the 2600k still rocks with the right card.  All these system are on the internet, and every single one of them is one web page away from being owned, all because Intel refuses to fix the problem, and manufacturers don't want to spend the resources to repair stuff out of warranty.

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    AMD Ryzen 2700
    Fold for the CURE!
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

Bruno747
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3909
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: (PR) The Saga Continues: Intel Addresses New Research for Side-Channel Variant 4 Attac 2018/05/22 16:27:40 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Thus far everything I have seen requires an already exploited box. At which point you are pretty well screwed anyway.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
    Ranmacanada
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 992
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: (PR) The Saga Continues: Intel Addresses New Research for Side-Channel Variant 4 Attac 2018/05/22 19:17:31 (permalink)
    Bruno747
    Cool GTX

Thus far everything I have seen requires an already exploited box. At which point you are pretty well screwed anyway.

I hate to burst your bubble.  This isn't the BS that, that fake Isreali security team tried to pull on AMD.  This is as simple as visiting a web page.

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    AMD Ryzen 2700
    Fold for the CURE!
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile