POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3

Author
Branchu
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2012/06/29 10:37:11 (permalink)
Hello,

I've been having some serious PC problems for close to 3 weeks now, and am getting pretty fed up with the whole ordeal.  3 years ago I built my first PC:

Core i7 920 processor
ATI Radeon 4850 X2 vid card
1000 Watt PSU
Biostar x58 Tpowered mobo
3 gigs of DDR3 RAM
1 TB HDD

EDIT: Suppose I should mention that about a year ago I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 64bit and added an extra 3 gigs of RAM.

3 weeks ago I was playing Skyrim when my system shut down; I tried restarting it and it wouldn't boot properly; everything powered up, but there was no signal to the monitor.  After trying the usual troubleshooting methods, including testing my tower on a new monitor, I ended up determining the mobo was shot, so I ordered an EVGA x58 FTW3 and 12 GBs of new, compatible RAM.

The first new mobo was damaged when it arrived, so I RMAed it and got another one.  When the original problem persisted, I took my tower over to CompUSA and had them diagnose the problem.  To my surprise they told me it was the mobo again.  I talked to them for a while and they insisted that it was just the mobo and my vid card and PSU were fine.

Well, I RMAed mobo #2 and got a third one, and this one seems to be working, except that the original no-signal problem remains.  This time I'm getting a POST code: 7F.  All of my internal components, keyboard and mouse power up.  I have some input on my system; hitting F1 on the keyboard ater booting makes the system restart, as does hitting Ctrl Alt Del twice.  I might actually be getting into BIOS, but with no monitor signal I can't be sure.

I tried the things suggested on the FAQ page to no success.  I'm guessing, with my limited knowledge of hardware, that the issue is my vid card or my PSU.  I'd really like to know which one first before I spend any more money.  Ironically I've been wanting to update for some time now, so this whole ordeal has been useful for that.  Still, it's been almost 3 weeks; I want my comp back!

Thanks for any help; it's greatly appreciated!
post edited by Branchu - 2012/06/29 10:55:49

13 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2032
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/29 11:41:13 (permalink)
    Dear Branchu,
    I am very sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your system. I can confirm that this behavior usually means that the board is unable to initialize the graphics card or your monitor is not on the right input or working.

In order to narrow this down further please listen to the beep codes. If you received 5 beeps or one long and three short beeps around post code 26 this means that the graphics card is not detected.

If you receive 1 beep and then 7f this means that everything should be ok and I would hit the source button on the monitor and make sure that the monitor and cable are connected and working.

Please let me know if you should need more help and what type of post beeps you are receiving? chrisb@evga.com

Branchu
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/29 15:30:03 (permalink)
    Okay, just got home from work and tried again. It sounds like 1 long beep and then it's a bit hard to tell. Sounds like either a few extra beeps or just the long one crackling a bit. I tried booting using a second monitor too and still no signal. Time to go shopping?
    EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2032
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/29 17:51:38 (permalink)
    Hi Branchu,
    That should be 1 short beep.

It is not seeing the graphics card so I can recommend trying a different PCI-e slot on the board and if same behavior I would check the power going to the graphcis card and maybe try a different connector from the power supply to see if this maybe the issue. It maybe a failed graphics card but it is too early to tell for sure.

Branchu
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/29 21:27:51 (permalink)
    I tried all 3 pci slots and all of my pci power cables and got the same results. Tomorrow I'm gonna go get a Psu voltage tester. If it passes would it be safe to assume the problem is the gpu?
    ZROCKMAN
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 349
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/30 05:15:54 (permalink)
    Branchu :  Since it appears you are having the exact same problems , regardless of which mobo is connected , I would revert to checking all of your system components before determining that the mobo is the problem.

Any time a crash occurs , where the system will not reboot or produce video to at least see the post sequence specifications , I check the cmos battery.  The cmos has memory , and if there is the slightest contamination or corrosion occuring within the cmos battery on the mobo , this can cause some of the IRQ's to be disabled or for them to not work.  This means , your HD may not be connecting properly (booting) , your video card/s etc.

Any time a reboot does not occur , I blame or question the condition or connections of the HD - especially where the HD has been used for years in a swap type situation where it has been working in 2 or more system cases.  Immediately , I start at the HD , and test the HD in another system I always have available.  If it boots up properly , I then change the battery on the mobo and reinstall the HD back onto the original mobo to note any difference.  At that point , if these 2 steps fail , I begin checking the video cards.  When it comes to video cards , or any plug-in type circuitboard , it is very important that used circuitboards receive a cleaning of the gold contact bars.  It is suggested by Microsoft , that you use a soft piece of eraser to gently wipe these gold connecting bars to ensure a 100% connection to power.  Alot of times , cleaning those bars , and blowing out any debris from within the PCI or PCIe etc. slots , makes it so that you have not overlooked or had a small piece of debris which is not allowing a proper connection between the circuitboard gold bars and the slot cinchpins.  It only takes a very tiny fragment of any material to cause a malfunction.

If your PSU tester proves that the PSU is working correctly , there is yet another method that I have found that works on older HD's that I didn't think could happen , but it does - I have repeatedly confirmed that this method defies logic , but works.

On older HD's where you are plugging in a molex connector , even though the 4 pins are aligned and properly inserted using the molex block , the pins inside are capable of being worn (spread open) enough so that at least 1 of the 4 round female tube connectors is actually set in place so that it is only around the male pin - but is not actually making contact , thereby there is no power or ground connected at that point.  When this is questionable (this is why changing to a different molex connector sometimes solves problems) , I pull out the molex connector and use a very small flathead screwdriver to pinch the gap in the round female connector (the slit) until it is closed.  Repeatedly , I have a couple of HD's that fail to boot , but do boot , if I reset the round female pin slits "closed" / tight.

I am still running my FTW3 mobo since I joined this forum , without any problems , and also have not changed the cmos battery - but it is possible to get a cmos battery that shows the correct voltage , while the insides of the battery may be slightly faulty.  A telltale sign is the crackling sound you hear , it may be coming from the cmos battery.   When it comes to cmos batteries , the manufacturers suggest that any discolourations that show on the outer surfaces are signs of internal corrosion or defects , even though the overall battery voltage measures correctly on a meter , the meter cannot determine the condition of the inner core.  I use an analog meter to watch if the needle swings or shows an intermittent reading at any time while the 2 probes (+ & - ) are connected and drawn slowly across the surface of the battery on both sides , both positive and negative.  If there is any fluctuation , this is a lack of "continuity" , which can cause any component to be skipped by the cmos memory in sequence of IRQ startup (enabled / disabled).  But , I always change the battery if the system will not post reliably anyways , and save the old battery for reference etc. unless it is obviously defective.

The exact same methods can be used to determine a malfunction in watches , clocks , cellphones etc. etc.  The batteries don't necessarily last forever , nor are they necessarily precisely equal in quality or performance.
    post edited by ZROCKMAN - 2012/06/30 05:35:18
    Branchu
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/30 06:50:05 (permalink)
    One of the fIrst things I did with my original Biostar mobo was test it with only the essential components: the CPU, gpu, vid card, Psu, and 1 stick or Ram. It still failed to boot. I even tried booting it without any RAM at all and never got a POST code or beeps. This new ftw3 consistently gives me the same code, even with the Hdd and other non-essentials disconnected. I take that as a good sign at least.

I also tried discharging the CMOS battery, and saw no discoloration like you mention.

And I think crackling was the wrong word. I'm not familiar enough with beep codes to tell for sure if it's breaking up or just doing 1 long then a few short ones.

And dear lord please don't say it's the mobo. Even I'm not lucky enough to get three bad ones in a row.
    Randolla
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1873
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/30 07:04:27 (permalink)
    Is your PSU an Corsair HX1000 by any chance?  If so, they are prone to early failure. The good news is that it should be covered under warranty.  I would consider that it might be a bad PSU regardless of what CompUSA has  said.  The only real way of finding out is to try a different one in there and see what happens.

Intel 5930K@ 4.3 Ghz
    ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme Motherboard 
    EVGA GeForce 1080Ti SC
    Case Labs Merlin Full Tower case 
    NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU cooler
    32 Gbs G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
    EVGA  Supernova P1200 PSU
    Acer Predator X34 Monitor
    Samsung 512 Gb XP941 M2 SSD

HT Omega eClaro Soundcard[
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/30 08:12:02 (permalink)
    I don't agree with the statement that says that Corsair HX1000 are prone to early failure. However the idea to try a different PSU is a good one so try this if you can.

randolla

Is your PSU an Corsair HX1000 by any chance?  If so, they are prone to early failure. The good news is that it should be covered under warranty.  I would consider that it might be a bad PSU regardless of what CompUSA has  said.  The only real way of finding out is to try a different one in there and see what happens.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Branchu
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/30 11:35:11 (permalink)
    My Psu is a silverstone 1000W evolution. I just finished testing it with a Psu tester and got no errors or alarms. Gonna throw caution to the wind and try a new gpu; was told I can return it right away if it fails. Wish me luck!
    Randolla
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1873
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/30 12:56:57 (permalink)
    r johnson 11

I don't agree with the statement that says that Corsair HX1000 are prone to early failure. However the idea to try a different PSU is a good one so try this if you can.

randolla

Whether you agree or not your opinion. There are pages and pages of forum posts and blogs that state this plus I (and several others I know here) have lived through it.
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-139-007&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1
    It is a fact that the HX 1000 is prone to early failure at least for the earlier runs.  Corsair will replace them with a brand new one with (almost) no questions asked.
    post edited by randolla - 2012/06/30 13:12:30

Intel 5930K@ 4.3 Ghz
    ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme Motherboard 
    EVGA GeForce 1080Ti SC
    Case Labs Merlin Full Tower case 
    NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU cooler
    32 Gbs G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
    EVGA  Supernova P1200 PSU
    Acer Predator X34 Monitor
    Samsung 512 Gb XP941 M2 SSD

HT Omega eClaro Soundcard[
    Branchu
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/06/30 16:12:56 (permalink)
    Success!  I picked up an EVGA Geforce GTX560 gpu, installed it, and got into BIOS and everything.  Typing this very message on my PC.  I gotta say, I love how quiet this new card is compared to my old one; almost can't even hear it.

Thank you everyone for your help!  I really appreciate it.

Now I've got nearly a month's worth of updates to finish installing.
    ZROCKMAN
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 349
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re:POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2012/07/01 01:44:41 (permalink)
    Branchu

Success!  I picked up an EVGA Geforce GTX560 gpu, installed it, and got into BIOS and everything.  Typing this very message on my PC.  I gotta say, I love how quiet this new card is compared to my old one; almost can't even hear it.

Thank you everyone for your help!  I really appreciate it.

Now I've got nearly a month's worth of updates to finish installing.

Ahh ha , so it was the video card/s after all.  Yes , sometimes when you are playing away with games , you don't realize that your GPU's have been overheating for hours on end.  That is why I am mostly interested in keeping the heat down as low as possible on my GPU's etc.  Regardless of testing your cmos battery , I would have replaced it while the system was apart , as the new GPU's could be the only reason why the IRQ was allowed to enable video.  While the battery could still be defective later on.  Probably not the EVGA mobo battery , but if it happens again , you might just feel :  .  Good luck.
    neilslade
    • Total Posts : 4
    SOLUTION POST code 7F on an x58 FTW3 2021/01/14 20:36:11 (permalink)
    7F is usually considered a good error. It means that you're stuck on the screen before going into the BIOS, asking if you want to hit F1 to continue or Delete to enter setup. If you consistently get 7F's, given what you've already tried, it's time to test another graphics card.

I tested my graphics card on another machine it was fine-   what fixed it was hitting F1  and/or DELETE ---   then my monitor came on again.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile