EVGA

PC not booting but power light flashing

Author
marcusmmc
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/04/02 15:40:07 (permalink)

Had a momentary powerloss in my home and the computer isn't powering on. The motherboard has blinking lights but I don't know what they are supposed to indicate. Thanks for any help.
X99 Troubleshooting Template
 BASICS
What EVGA X99 Motherboard do you have?  Please place an X between the parentheses of the model number you are referencing.

()  131-HE-E995                       ()  131-HE-E095                       ()  150-HE-E997                      
(X)  151-HE-E999

What BIOS revision are you running on? 
 stock

What previous BIOS revisions have been tried?

(IF APPLICABLE) have the other physical BIOS’s been tested?
*NOTE*  Not all motherboards have this switch and depending on the model there can be a 2 or 3 position BIOS switch.  Please see the manuals for the specific boards here:
X99 Classified:  http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/151-HE-E999_Part1_v2.pdf go to page 8, number 33 on the mid right side of the board just below the 24 pin.
X99 FTW:  http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/150-HE-E997_Part1_v2.pdf go to page 8, number 30 on the mid right side of the board just below the 24 pin.
X99 Micro2, and X99 Micro do not have multiple BIOS’s

What Operating system are you running?  Be sure to specify Standard, Pro, Ultimate, and 32 or 64bit.

Components -Internal
What specific model CPU do you have?
            Is it overclocked?  Please place an X next to appropriate answer.    Yes: ()  No: ()
            If you are overclocked, what speed is the CPU running at?
What cooling solution is installed?  If it is water cooled, specify make and model of All-In-One kit (for instance H100i), or FULL specs and order of components in the custom loop.
CPU cooler is Corsair H110i

What are your temperatures, in Celsius, for CPU and GPU both at idle and under load in a benchmark?
            What bench marking software are you using?

What specific model of memory do you have?
            How many kits of memory?
            Is it overclocked?  Please place an X next to appropriate answer.    Yes: ()  No: (X)
            If you have tested DIFFERENT memory, please supply the full model for this as well.
Corsair 2x8GB Vengeance LPX 

What specific model of Power Supply Unit (PSU) - EVGA 120-G2-100-XR 80 Plus Gold
            Do you actively use more than 1 PSU in your system?  Yes: ()  No: (X)
            If YES to the previous question, what exact model?
            Have you tested with a different PSU?  Yes: ()  No: ()
            If YES to the previous question, what exact model?
            How old are the PSU(s) in question? 1 month
            Check all attached MOTHERBOARD power headers:
            (X) 24 Pin           (X) 8pin EPS 1    (X) 8pin EPS2     () 6pin PCIE on bottom of motherboard
*If the EPS is plugged in and the release is not on the same side as the tab on the MB EPS header, then you likely have a PCIE 8 pin header plugged in.  Detach immediately and do NOT power on as this may cause irreparable damage.**
EPS connector is shown http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/151-HE-E999_Part1_v2.pdf page 8 number 29, there is a tab on the top that the clip of a power cable holds onto.  You can see a more clear picture of the cable here:  http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/151-HE-E999_Part2.pdf page 7.  The tab on the socket and the release on the cable have to click over each other.  If not, please get a picture and post it in your troubleshooting thread and we will assist further, do NOT turn it on if these are not aligned.

Check the slots that are populated and provide specific of Component, brand, part number if available of the item present.  If the slot is NOT populated please list it as “Empty”, “Unused”, or something to give clear indication that a slot is NOT in use, so there is no grey area in the configuration.
Not all slots are applicable to every board, but this form covers the entire chipset.
The slot listings below are counting ALL slots of 1x, 4x, and 16x from top to bottom, this is not only for the full size slots.

Note: PCI-E 1 is ALWAYS the slot closest to the CPU, and the numbers count up as you move down the board.

()  PCI-E 1:
            PCI-E Disable Switch in the ON position?  Yes: (X)  No: ()

()  PCI-E 2: 

()  PCI-E 3: 

()  PCI-E 4: 

()  PCI-E 5: 

()  PCI-E 6: 

()  M.2 Key M: (Typically used for SSD's)
            Enabled in BIOS?  Yes: ()  No: ()

()  M.2 Key E: (Typically used for smaller  devices such as WiFi cards)
            Enabled in BIOS?  Yes: ()  No: ()

()  SATA3/6g RAID Ports (please elaborate on RAID settings if present):
            Is Hot Swap enabled on populated ports?  Yes: ()  No: ()

()  SATA3/6g AHCI Ports:
            Is Hot Swap enabled on populated ports?  Yes: ()  No: ()

If you are overclocking your video card(s), please include what software and what version you are using.

Components – I/O Panel
Check the slots that are populated and provide specific of Component, brand, part number if available of the item present.
Not all slots are applicable to every board, but this form covers the entire chipset.

All rear IO that have multiple connectors, such as USB, are counted top to bottom, left to right.

()  USB 2.0 1: 

()  USB 2.0 2: 

()  USB 2.0 3: 

()  USB 2.0 4: 

()  USB 2.0 5: 

()  USB 2.0 6: 

()  USB 3.0 1: 

()  USB 3.0 2: 

()  USB 3.0 3: 

()  USB 3.0 4: 

()  USB 3.1 Type C: 

()  CAT5 1 (enabled/disabled in BIOS): 

()  CAT5 2 (enabled/disabled in BIOS): 

()  Analog Audio headers (standard 2 /2.1 speakers or headphones use green):

()  Optical Out

Components – Front Panel Headers
Check the components that are in use and provide specific of Component, brand, part number, or link (such as a 5.25 bay that has USB 2/3/eSATA on it) if available of the item present.  Also what are these ports plugged into?  A straight header (such as a power switch or front headphone and mic ports), or a component with its own PCB (for instance the module on the top of a CM Cosmos Case where the components are attached to a PCB with other components involved for additional function). 

At any header are you using some intermediary cabling, such as: http://koolance.com/image/cache/data/products/cbl-aw002p_p1-700x700.jpg for example?  If the system was working and can no longer power on and there is a third party cable between the motherboard and its intended device, it would be advisable to test without it being present.

(X)  Power Switch
            LED in use?  Yes: (X)  No: ()
            If yes, have you verified +/- in correct place?

(X)  Reset Switch
            LED in use?  Yes: (X)  No: ()
            If yes, have you verified +/- in correct place?

()  USB 2.0 FP Header attached

(X)  USB 3.0 FP Header attached

()  S/PDIF Header

()  FP Audio Header

()  Thunderbolt GPIO Header

BIOS
Have you changed anything in the BIOS?  Yes: ()  No: (X)
            If yes, are these basic settings such as boot order, raid enabling, XMP, etc.?

Is your PC running in Legacy BIOS mode, or UEFI mode?  If you are unsure, go into the BIOS, under BOOT,  go to CSM Configuration and list all of the settings in that menu.

Have you overclocked?  Yes: ()  No: (X)
Please go over EXACT setting changes from stock on the BIOS. 
Please include EVERY voltage adjustment and value/frequency that was changed, and what it was changed to.

Have yo tried resetting the BIOS, either by one of the BIOS reset buttons or by Loading Defaults from within the BIOS?

If you have a pic hosting account, for instance at flickr or something else of that nature, full pics of your BIOS, or at least what you have changed being posted here then linking to the album could be VERY helpful as well.

Problem description
Please be as specific as possible
 Had a momentary power loss in the house. After power was restored, the PC won't boot. I see a flashing red light under the 24-pin connector and a flashing white light under that. The power light also blinks momentarily.

Steps taken so far to resolve the issue
Please be as specific as possible, also if possible, please put them in order, as in some cases that can make a difference.
 I've tried the front power switch on the case. I've tried the power switch on the motherboard. I've unplugged the system for 15 minutes or more and tried again.

If there is anything else you think needs to be mentioned that is not part of the above Q&A, please add it in below.  Remember, for those of us who can help out for troubleshooting, we would always rather have more info than we need than not enough.

I'm not totally computer savvy but the computer was working great before the momentary power loss. All my monitors and other components plugged into my surge protector are powering on just fine. I don't know where to start. Everything in the system is only one month old.

18 Replies Related Threads

marcusmmc
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 15:53:47 (permalink)
    Thank you. Yes I have.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 16:02:18 (permalink)
    Try holding down on the clear Cmos button for 5+ seconds and than switch the PSU off till the lights go out and than turn back on.  Hold the Cmos button down again for a few seconds and than try powering it on with the on-board Power on Buttons on the motherboard.
    post edited by gtxjackbauer - 2016/04/02 16:04:34

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 16:04:07 (permalink)
    EVGATech_AndrewA
    You can also try the paper clip test to see if your PSU is dead or if it is getting power at all.

http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/FAQs/PSU%20Paper%20Clip%20Test%205.png

The 120-G2-100-XR (EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply) comes with a test end to test the Power Supply.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

marcusmmc
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 16:10:46 (permalink)
    gtxjackbauer
    Try holding down on the clear Cmos button for 5+ seconds and than switch the PSU off till the lights go out and than turn back on.  Hold the Cmos button down again for a few seconds and than try powering it on with the on-board Power on Buttons on the motherboard.

Thanks. This didn't change anything.
    marcusmmc
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 16:11:55 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    EVGATech_AndrewA
    You can also try the paper clip test to see if your PSU is dead or if it is getting power at all.

The 120-G2-100-XR (EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply) comes with a test end to test the Power Supply.

How do I do this? If the lights on the motherboard are blinking, would that indicate power is flowing? Again, you'll have to please pardon me and my ignorance.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 18:31:17 (permalink)
    Is the Power Connector from the Case to the Motherboard match up to + and 1 and the Power Switch connected Pin 1 to Pin 1?
    Can you take a photo and post here so we can see how your cables are plugged into the MB and the PSU?

Stock is no help, can you post the Bios Number>? 
     stock

What Operating system are you running?

What is the Model Number of your Vengeance Memory?
     IS THIS CORRECT: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply P/N: 120-G2-1000-XR is your Power Supply?
    Unplug the Power Cable from the Power Supply for 5 minutes with the switch in the Off Position. O
    Turn OFF the ECO Switch, None if you have the 120-G2-1000-XR PSU.
    Are you on a USP or a Power Strip?

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/04/02 18:50:37

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 18:44:49 (permalink)
    marcusmmc
    bcavnaugh
    EVGATech_AndrewA

How do I do this? If the lights on the motherboard are blinking, would that indicate power is flowing? Again, you'll have to please pardon me and my ignorance.

Unplug the Power Cable from your Power Supply and turn the Switch Off (O)
    Turn OFF the ECO Switch, , None if you have the 120-G2-1000-XR PSU.
    Unplug the cables going to the motherboard the 24-Pin and Both 8-Pin CPU.
    Plug the EVGA PSU Tester (24-pin) into the 24-Pin Cable.
    Plug the Power Cable back into the Power Supply and Turn on the Power Switch you should now see the Power Supply Fan Spin up.
    You may also see some power come on in your computer
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/04/02 19:01:37

marcusmmc
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 18:59:17 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Is the Power Connector from the Case to the Motherboard match up to + and 1 and the Power Switch connected Pin 1 to Pin 1?
    Can you take a photo and post here so we can see how your cables are plugged into the MB and the PSU?

Power has been hooked up for a month and the PC has been running just fine until the power went out.
    bcavnaugh 
    Stock is no help, can you post the Bios Number>? 
    stock

How can I get the BIOS number if the PC wont turn on?
    bcavnaugh
    What Operating system are you running?

Windows 10 when the PC is working.
    bcavnaugh
    What is the Model Number of your Vengeance Memory?
     IS THIS CORRECT: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply P/N: 120-G2-1000-XR is your Power Supply?
    Unplug the Power Cable from the Power Supply for 5 minutes with the switch in the Off Position. O
    Turn OFF the ECO Switch, None if you have the 120-G2-1000-XR PSU.
    Are you on a USP or a Power Strip?

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) is the memory I have. CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 is the model #.
    120-G2-1000-XR is my PSU

I use a power strip. Probably time for a UPS.
    post edited by marcusmmc - 2016/04/02 19:02:31
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 19:31:03 (permalink)
    "I use a power strip. Probably time for a UPS." Use a new one, you may have killed this one.
    Yes it is time for a UPS a 1500 would work well with your setup.
    Well on the Bios must users would know because they overclock their computers, not a big deal.

Did you get a chance to test the PSU?

DHLEVGA
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 354
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 22:09:28 (permalink)
    If you have lights on the mb you probably have AC power into the system. But just to check, remove the power strip and plug directly into a WORKING AC outlet. If you can, check the AC voltage level at the outlet. Some of those LCD power meters will read out you AC voltages.

If the system refuses to power up after being plugged in to a known good outlet, then start troubleshooting the power supply and then the components plugged into the mb. You may toasted one or both. I also like to set the power fail options in BIOS to "Remain Off" after a power failure so the system does not to reboot in brown out conditions.

Sometimes a power failure/brownout can damage components in unpredictable ways. That is why it is good to have both transient filtration as well as a UPS. Some UPS manufacturers claim they provide transient/voltage spike protection but most are no more than an MOV here or there. I use Furman voltage transient linear filtration on top of what is in a UPS like an APC.
    marcusmmc
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 22:11:13 (permalink)
    Magically, the computer booted up about an hour before my shift at work started (I work at home so that is a good thing!). Because of that, I can only assume that the PSU is good. Maybe something is messed up with the mother board but how do I test that?

Anyway, this process has really scared the crap out of me and I'm shopping for a UPS and with my research, I've read that the PSU I'm using only takes "pure sine wave" capable UPS's. Others say the PWM sine wave is just fine. Any thoughts or experience?
    DHLEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 22:27:09 (permalink)
    marcusmmc
    Magically, the computer booted up about an hour before my shift at work started (I work at home so that is a good thing!). Because of that, I can only assume that the PSU is good. Maybe something is messed up with the mother board but how do I test that?

Anyway, this process has really scared the crap out of me and I'm shopping for a UPS and with my research, I've read that the PSU I'm using only takes "pure sine wave" capable UPS's. Others say the PWM sine wave is just fine. Any thoughts or experience?

You'll pay big bucks for the pure sine wave output UPS. They also use a lot of standby power because the inverters producing the sine wave have to be running continuously in order to switch in fast enough to catch a fast power failure. The pseudo square wave types have worked for computer systems for many years so there should not be a problem using them. I would spend any extra cash on a decent transient filter system you put AHEAD of the UPS. Like this one:

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=PL-8C

It will also serve as a power strip.
    DHLEVGA
    iCX Member
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 22:32:53 (permalink)
    marcus

You also want to make the power failure changes in BIOS so that your system shuts down and does not restart after a power failure. You then manually restart it after power has been restored and stable. If you have a UPS hooked up this is probably not necessary, but may still be a good idea if the UPS also fails to start (or the battery is bad, which happens a lot).
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/02 23:13:20 (permalink)
    Word of advice. Don't skimp on good UPS.

Most important thing is pure sine-wave. Not simulated, not PWM or any other, Pure. Furthermore, most (like 100%) cheaper (customer) UPS do not support/function properly with active PFC in the PSU. For example from APC, everything outside SmartUPS family officially don't support PFC. PSU work most of the times, but I learned the hard way myself, that it can go terribly wrong sometimes. With Cyber Power it's very similar that only enterprise/server has PFC support.

Don't waste time on "On-line" technology. UPS of this particular type are cheaper or much cheaper than Line-In, and while they offer superb quality power (basically PC is running from battery all the time to guarantee perfection of the power supply) the major downside is that noise is insane (remember these are for industry where nobody cares about noise so 60-70dB fans are normal) and life expectancy of battery pack is about half of than on Line-In. If manufacturer recommends 3 year replacement period (read: spend money needlessly because good battery is OK for twice that) then for On-Line it'll be 18 months or so.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/03 01:17:10 (permalink)
    Hope you don't mind OP if I can hijack and ask a question since were on this topic as well.

What would be the best power strip protector with ethernet?  I use 3 of these.  One for my secondary folding PC + Cable Modem, Router and 5 port hub chained with another older strip.  I than use two for my main, one for the screens and some accessories and one for the main PC and some accessories.  

I hope these are decent strip protectors but regardless, I'm always worried since I still don't have the ethernet lines and the main coaxial coming from the wall protected.  I sometimes disconnect the strips from the wall if I know there's a heavy lightening storm coming but than again, I never think of the ethernet line going to my main rigs.  Not sure how I can proceed with cleaning it all up and adding some protection to the whole network.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2016/04/03 07:55:16 (permalink)

th0rshammer
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2017/04/22 10:30:17 (permalink)
    Hi I had the exact problem with an x99 mb I called evga and they recommend I do a bare bones setup ty btw so I took out all the header and all my ram also disconnected computer case from mb I used the mb power on switch this is a tedious process I cycled through the ram one stick at a time put a stick in turn power on  the board came back remember the mb has no connections to the case at this point as I started connecting the components one at a time turning the system off then reconnecting one header at a time from case then turn power on I did this for every piece of the system finally I connected the Usb 3.0 header and boom flashing lights again so this proves to me one of two things its either its the cable to the header has a short or the mb has a cold spot on the header connection im going with the cable to the case this  fix my powering on problem ty evga and ty Josh this was his Idea hope this helps
    pipegrep
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: PC not booting but power light flashing 2022/07/07 08:02:36 (permalink)
    This is an old thread, but I just had the same issue and came across it while trying to figure out what might be happening. I pulled the USB3 case connector from the motherboard and a 2 seconds later it powered back up. My system is a x99 classified.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile