EVGA

Overclocking and graphics card life

Author
bsquaredracing
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/01/02 08:27:42 (permalink)
What is the general consensus on graphics cards life once overclocked. 
has anyone every collected data on the subject or have a overall idea?
post edited by bsquaredracing - 2021/01/02 08:35:53

2 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Overclocking and graphics card life 2021/01/02 09:04:07 (permalink)
    Keeping Temps reasonable & keep the cooler & card clean ... factory hardware (no physical mods) & factory OC software = no issues for me

I'm Folding 24/7 on many GPU with OC - for Years .. both stock air coolers & water cooled - with no issues

I also use a high quality PSU that is protected by a properly sized UPS

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Overclocking and graphics card life 2021/01/02 13:05:14 (permalink)
    Some food for thought. There's two main things that kill hardware... heat, and power. Some GPUs have beefier VRMs, others have significantly upgraded power delivery. Those are better designed for the increased power draw from factory + user overclocks above the stock reference design.

Heat is something you have to handle yourself. Thermal cycling (the temperature swing from ice cold to the GPUs max temp) causes wear on the solder joints all over the card including the BGA joints under the core + VRAM chips. Minimizing the amount of cycling helps, but reducing the minimum/maximum temperature range helps the most. Incidentally it's yet another side benefit of watercooling... Watercooling is far from any guarantee, but I'd like to think it helps there. 

And Cool GTX is also right, stable, clean power going to & coming from the PSU is important. There's a great many factors that affect hardware endurance. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile