EVGA

Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7192
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 17
2017/06/25 02:37:13 (permalink)
I need your opinion on something, I got home at 12:30AM after a longgggg day at Disneyland (12-13 hours) my feet were killing me, my daughter was cranky (Obviously!) and I just wanted to go to bed... One thing, I don't do street parking. I have a home with lots of parking and I intend to use it. Especially after they broke into my brother in laws car right in front of our house.

I get home and there was a car parked directly on our driveway, Not just sticking out, 100% from trunk to hood blocking our driveway. There's only 1 house with the lights on, They're my neighbors. I go ask if it's there's or anyone visiting, they said no, But they said it might be the neighbors from the front, Since they have the same car. I go and see all the lights off, Plus the front gate locked. There driveway had no cars in it, So I don't think it's there car and I don't remember there car having chrome wheels. I called the city parking enforcement, The lady shows up and verifies, gives the car a ticket and requests a tow truck for me. Tow truck shows up, The whole process from calling to actually towing took over 2 hours, No one came out or anything, so the car was towed. Now I'm sure it's going to cost them nearly $500 to get it out + pay the citation, But my question is, would you have done it differently? or would you have said, let them learn there lesson and tow the car as well?

The reason I ask, Is the neighbors that I originally asked, Came out and I could hear them criticizing and such, talking about the lady in the front hasn't came out for her car and all, But to be honest, I feel I did the right thing. I would never park in someone elses driveway, Unless It's temporarily (10 min MAX).

P.S. When I got home, There was 3-4 empty spaces available.

I don't know, I guess I'm looking to clear my conscience.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

42 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 02:46:38 (permalink)
    A car parking in your home parking lot is violating the law in several degrees. Having the car towed is the correct thing to do. You shouldn't have a guilty conscience about it. If you feel it could be a problem in the future make a small sign next to the front entrance of your parking lot that states your parking lot is private and violators will be towed or something similar.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

whiskers54
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1688
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 04:30:01 (permalink)
    RushXTC
    I need your opinion on something, I got home at 12:30AM after a longgggg day at Disneyland (12-13 hours) my feet were killing me, my daughter was cranky (Obviously!) and I just wanted to go to bed... One thing, I don't do street parking. I have a home with lots of parking and I intend to use it. Especially after they broke into my brother in laws car right in front of our house.

I get home and there was a car parked directly on our driveway, Not just sticking out, 100% from trunk to hood blocking our driveway. There's only 1 house with the lights on, They're my neighbors. I go ask if it's there's or anyone visiting, they said no, But they said it might be the neighbors from the front, Since they have the same car. I go and see all the lights off, Plus the front gate locked. There driveway had no cars in it, So I don't think it's there car and I don't remember there car having chrome wheels. I called the city parking enforcement, The lady shows up and verifies, gives the car a ticket and requests a tow truck for me. Tow truck shows up, The whole process from calling to actually towing took over 2 hours, No one came out or anything, so the car was towed. Now I'm sure it's going to cost them nearly $500 to get it out + pay the citation, But my question is, would you have done it differently? or would you have said, let them learn there lesson and tow the car as well?

The reason I ask, Is the neighbors that I originally asked, Came out and I could hear them criticizing and such, talking about the lady in the front hasn't came out for her car and all, But to be honest, I feel I did the right thing. I would never park in someone elses driveway, Unless It's temporarily (10 min MAX).

Rush,
    I wouldn't worry about it. You DID make an effort to locate the operator of the vehicle. Most, if not all communities have some sort of ordinance on the books regarding non-authorized vehicles blocking driveways.

As far as your neighbors go, it was easy for them to condemn your action considering that they weren't the ones being inconvenienced.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 04:35:08 (permalink)
    whiskers54
    RushXTC

Rush,
    I wouldn't worry about it. You DID make an effort to locate the operator of the vehicle. Most, if not all communities have some sort of ordinance on the books regarding non-authorized vehicles blocking driveways.

As far as your neighbors go, it was easy for them to condemn your action considering that they weren't the ones being inconvenienced.

I completely agree. I'm sure if a tractor trailer rig was parked in one of your neighbors private parking space I'm sure your neighbors would have something to say.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 08:24:14 (permalink)
    Tow it, then if they show at ur front door, call the cops, dont put up will bullies...
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 09:34:22 (permalink)
    Also a known way to dump a hot car.
    I would have done the same as you have, and I have.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/06/25 09:37:39

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 10:09:15 (permalink)

bcavnaugh
    Also a known way to dump a hot car.
    I would have done the same as you have, and I have.

+1 

You called parking enforcement and not the police -- and you didn't  just drag that car into the street

Seriously, who would be so self-entitle as to think it is OK to use someone's driveway with out permission - including blocking the whole thing

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 10:51:08 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, Turns out it was indeed our front neighbors car, From what I hear, she was drunk and parked "in between 2 cars" not realizing she was blocking a driveway (?????). One of the guys that lives there said it was a good thing we towed it so she could learn her lesson. I gave them the number I called to have there car towed so they could go recover it... Hopefully the price she pays will be enough for her to think twice about drinking and driving. It could've been much worse than just having your car impounded.

Dukman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1478
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 11:53:34 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Seriously, who would be so self-entitle as to think it is OK to use someone's driveway with out permission - including blocking the whole thing

You might be shocked at the honest answer to that question.   Many, many snowflakes out there believe that they are.

Rush, I would've done exactly the same.  I live in a condo and have reserved parking spaces.   Leave your car in my space and I'll have it towed.

Heatware

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 12:04:50 (permalink)
    The idiot drunk driver is lucky that's all that happened. I'm sure they may be upset, but they don't think about the problems they caused for others. A simple solution, don't be an idiot. 
    kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8755
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 12:53:48 (permalink)
    I would have done the same. I actually would have winched the car out of my way first so I could have access to my property right away.

Anyone that has an issue with you having te car towed is an idiot.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
    WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 13:54:34 (permalink)
    give it the hook. next time they will think before being a jerk

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 14:13:33 (permalink)
    So, Rush, know anyone close with a large 4x4?

"Opps, sorry dude, i didnt see your car parked in my private drive, dude!!!!"

Hell, I would of paid cash out of my own pocket to pay the Tow-Truck driver, and payed him another $50 just to be sneaker and quiet about it. And Id be watching from my front porch laughing my butt off...
    post edited by knightsilver - 2017/06/25 14:19:17
    FattysGoneWild
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2660
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 14:23:20 (permalink)
    You did the right thing BUT be prepared for the fall out. They know where you live and could mess with your car/house as pay back. Likely? Probably not since the neighbor is on your side and gets it as a lesson for the drunk moron. 
    post edited by FattysGoneWild - 2017/06/25 14:26:04

HP Omen 880-160se custom ordered
    MOBO: HP Tampa2
    CPU: Intel i7 8700k @4.8GHz
    RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400
    GPU: PNY XLR8 RTX 3080
    PSU: Delta 750w 80 Plus Platinum 
    NVMe M.2 SSD: Samsung 512GB MZVLW512HMJP
    SSD: 250GB Samsung 860 EVO
    HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
    Sound: Logitech Z623 THX 2.1 Speakers
    Monitor: Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 @144Hz G-Sync calibrated with ColorMunki Display
    Keyboard: HP Omen 1100
    Mouse: HP Omen 600

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 14:32:07 (permalink)
    I have had to tow a few cars out of my PAID parking space in my complex. Its a bummer and I feel bad for the financial cost of recovering a car from being towed but at the same time... dont park in my spot that clearly says RESERVED.
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 14:52:49 (permalink)
    Fallout for a self entitled adult? Come on Fatty, just break the dudes nose and move on...

This is the reason why most adults put-up with too much bull crap from so-called adults these days, i have no problem knowing what my rights are, what i can get away with, how far I can push my rights, no way in hell im dealing with a self entitled adults bull crap.........
    post edited by knightsilver - 2017/06/25 14:56:51
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 16:38:21 (permalink)

If all else failed, then yes.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 17:06:35 (permalink)
    knightsilver
    Fallout for a self entitled adult? Come on Fatty, just break the dudes nose and move on...

This is the reason why most adults put-up with too much bull crap from so-called adults these days, i have no problem knowing what my rights are, what i can get away with, how far I can push my rights, no way in hell im dealing with a self entitled adults bull crap.........

Kind of like my young neighbor who runs his diesel engine from 5:30AM to 6:00AM before he goes to work everyday.
    When I asked if he could park his 2 Ton Diesel Truck out on the street he told me to buy earplugs, another so-called adult.
    Thought his girl friend did hit him up side his head for saying it and she did apologies, to bad they broke up.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/06/25 17:14:02

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

gipothegip
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 184
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 17:08:28 (permalink)
    Well, they parked their car on somebody else's property without permission, and obstructed the use of the parking lot. It getting towed should be an expected consequence.

I would say you did the nice thing as well, since you did make an effort to locate the owner of the vehicle.

The fact that they were drunk driving is terribly irresponsible. I wouldn't feel bad for them.

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/25 17:50:12 (permalink)
    who blocks a drive way,
    a jerk.

Athena
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 328
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/26 06:53:40 (permalink)
    I have had this happen normally I have given the person one day.
    I do not like stating things with my neighbors.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/26 07:56:58 (permalink)
    My driveway, that car is gone. Not much to debate there.
    Doubles
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1953
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/26 11:53:15 (permalink)
    Towing is was better than the other options available.

PC: i7 5930K// MSI Gaming 7//4x4 HyperX Predator 3000// MSI GTX 980ti// EVGA Supernova G2 1000w// Samsung 950 PRO m.2// Thermaltake Core P5 case// Dell S2716DG
    WC Setup:  XSPC Raystorm red// Blackice Nemesis 480 red rad// Monsoon hardline blood red// XSPC photon 270 res red// Uber D5 pump red
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/26 18:05:00 (permalink)
    Rush's next thread, "Somebody did a drive by shooting to my house!"
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/26 19:29:36 (permalink)
    Dude where's my car!!!!!!
    JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/26 20:24:50 (permalink)
    kram36
    Rush's next thread, "Somebody did a drive by shooting to my house!"

I live in South Central Los Angeles, I can create a thread like that nearly every day! hahahah

Bruno747
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3909
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/27 18:16:23 (permalink)
    I see no problem in what you did.

Especially with where you live, I wouldn't want my car parked on the street if I have locked parking available.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
    rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/28 14:59:49 (permalink)
    You made more of an effort than I would have. I've had cars towed for the same thing and after working 12 hours and an hour commute each way I just want to get inside my home. Maybe it's just crankiness from a long day...but that's me.

The neighbors can complain all they want but they now know not to park in front of your driveway, and that car was in violation, not you. 

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

robbysites
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1978
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/28 15:33:38 (permalink)
    I just moved from a house in Jacksonville to St Petersburg and we had the largest driveway on the cul-de-sac. My problem was people turning around and going back out in my driveway, and in doing so they would drive on my grass (rather than drive to the end and loop around)
    I put up two steel pipes 6 feet deep and 4 feet above ground with reflective red stickers on the top. That Fixed it.

Anyway - you did the right thing. Do not lose any more sleep over it.

MY AFFILIATE CODE-000H94333W

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Opinion Needed : Would you tow a car blocking your driveway? 2017/06/29 17:51:29 (permalink)
    Damn Robby! now that's how you do old school..

Rush, you was a lot nicer than I would of been, I don't play nice with jerks, "Never Pizz Off the Nice Guy!" should be a bumper sticker on my Jeep and my front door...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile