EVGA

Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them!

Author
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 79
2017/06/14 11:05:36 (permalink)
I would like to start a hardware discussion on some of the weird/odd issues you have encountered over the years, and how you ended up solving them. 

Where did this idea come from?  My x99/5960x setup... I figured it out, but I had to request guidance that ended up getting me where I needed to be.

On the 12th of June, I decided to update the BIOS for my Rampage V Extreme, as it had a bios from last June still loaded.  The CPU has been steady at 4.7ghz, 1.385v since the day I grabbed it, but once in the past I tried to update the bios and ran into an issue getting it to take. I went back to the old bios, and just stayed there.

The Issue:  At stock clocks, the CPU will NOT post.  Period.  I can not get into the bios or windows. It locks at Q Code 95 and then just shuts down after 30 seconds of sitting.  I spoke with Steponz, GunSlingerOCS, and K|ngp|n about this trying to get some insight. The idea came about that the voltage may be too low, so I would need to bump it slightly to get it going.  How do we get voltage up if we can't get into the BIOS?  I don't want to be down for 2 weeks waiting to RMA my CPU and/or Motherboard...

The Solution:  LN2 Mode jumper moved to on, and Slow Boot selector On...  Voltages were locked slightly higher, and the system posted after a full day of fighting with it.  The tiny bump and removal of fluctuation in voltage allowed me to get into the bios.  Put the settings back to 4.7ghz, voltage back to 1.385, and everything was perfectly smooth.  Disabled LN2 mode and slow boot, and it goes directly into windows with no issues at all. 

So, what sort of odd issues have you seen and what odd fix did it take to get everything cruising along and functioning again?

21 Replies Related Threads

VGAMASTER198
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 206
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/15 10:01:06 (permalink)
    Well, I had this old crappy XP laptop back in the day that wouldn't work with wifi and/or the track pad. I really had no use for the laptop, so I messed around with the BIOS, Deleted all the WiFi drivers and loaded Linux on the machine It still works like a charm!

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver error."

bdogg454
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 355
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/15 11:47:51 (permalink)
    With a couple games in the past i have had weird issues with getting my xbox controller to work correctly. I don't use a controller for everything, mostly driving and fighting games, but when i would start the game up the controller either would'nt work or be super laggy. If i closed the game and tried again it would be the same. Even went as far as to uninstall drivers and reinstall. Only fix i've found for when it randomly tries to mess up, is take out the batteries while its on and the game is running, put them back in and cut the controller back on. After that all's good. Oh yea, it is a xbox elite bluetooth controller, but seem to recall the same issue with the dongle and xbox 360 controller as well.

Intel i7 8700k - H115i Aio
    Evga 1080ti Sc2 Gaming Hybrid (Aio)
    Asus Maximus Hero X (wi-fi) Motherboard
    G Skill Trident z-32gb-3000mhz ram (14-14-14-34)
    Samsung 960 pro M.2 ssd - HyperX Savage 480ssd
    2 1tb 2.5'' HDD - Evga Supernova 850watt P2 psu
    Acer Predator 34'' ultra wide monitor
    Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/15 14:33:48 (permalink)
    Running the network at a LAN party, have two people (out of hundreds) come up telling me they can't connect to any TF2 servers (other games work fine). Start doing some troubleshooting and realize they both have motherboards with Killer networking NICs. Ugg. Did some Googling, messed with NIC settings, no luck.

Something to always keep in mind, take a step back, if you can't work through the problem, can you work around it?

One guy had wifi on the mobo so switched to that, I had a USB to Ethernet adapter for the other guy to borrow. Happy gaming restored. Don't buy Killer networking gear is the lesson here 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/15 14:38:43 (permalink)
    NICE! simple solutions to a pain in the butt.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/16 22:11:36 (permalink)

Problem: teh stuffs didn't work.
    Solution: hammer time.
    Result: still didn't work, but I felt better.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/17 11:19:45 (permalink)
    Nereus

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/17 11:59:29 (permalink)
    Spontaneous PC reboots at very random times over several days on a previously stable system. 

Triple check all connections and cables are tight.

Stress tests and diagnostic testing for several days, usually pass several tests, good temps and voltage - then bang - reboot out of blue sky.

Restart PC for the 20th time in 4 or 5 days and slapped the case out of shear frustration - bang reboot. 

Replaced the hard drive cable which looked good and passed All data testing of the drive -- problem solved - go figure

Lesson learned, just because the cable looks good on the outside and data transfer testing the hard drive works does not mean the cable is good

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/17 12:35:13 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Nereus

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7191
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/18 21:09:06 (permalink)
    had a weird issue with my linux pc, its a older 1155 dell system with all the wonderful dell stuff, updated the psu and cooler and added a gpu. every now and then i would get a error at boot, since it does not have a debug led i had to rely on the power button light blinks. 3 blinks a pause then two blinks, no video, no nothing. reset the  cmos, pulled the gpu, still nothing. after much searching i located the blink codes on dell.com, it said video sub system, said to clear cmos, pull video card or replace board. so i got to thinking, since this is a dell board which does not use a standard mounting style for the cpu and i had to devise a way to mount the new CM hyper 212 ( no push pins would work so i thread the correct size screws from the back and used nuts with washers to hold it down ) and since it always happened after i would move it around some that maybe the cpu was to blame, the simple fix after hours of trouble shooting and it turns out i tightened the cooler to much, now this system has ran for about a year with this cooler in place the way it was, just every now and then it would do this. so after going through my boxes of pieces parts i found a old 775 zalman bracket with perfect sized spring screws that worked perfectly, now the cooler is mounted solid but not to tight and system booted right up.
    post edited by quadlatte - 2017/06/18 21:13:41

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/20 03:05:59 (permalink)
    I always start with windows device manager and drivers.
    I also look at task manager to see what program may be using too much of the system resources.
    The two help point you in the right direction ( if it's hardware or software related).

Stardust_One
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 678
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/21 11:17:35 (permalink)
    Years ago, I had a Gigabyte MB with no support for the new Dominator from Corsair, - you know, the Platinum with the LED... I digged so long in the bios with the numbers until I had stable data. I was proud of that, because the supporter from Gigabyte told me this does not work.

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/21 12:52:20 (permalink)
    I had my reservoir in my system lose a little water, like 1/2" a week for the last two weeks. I kept looking for water leaks at all the fittings, the pump top/pump at the reservoir and pump top, the radiators, and never saw a leak. Everything was bone dry on the outside. Then last night, out of the corner of my eye I see a bead of water rolling down the the outside of the reservoir. I waited and a half hour later there goes another one. 

Turns out the plexi acrylic reservoir has a hairline crack in it I couldn't see until I pulled out a magnifying glass. 

Solution: short term-super glue! Seriously, it stopped the leak and has stopped the crack from what I can see. Long term-I ordered another reservoir tube. 

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

NazcaC2
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 7420
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/21 17:43:49 (permalink)
    Unsolved as of yet:

Customer arrived with a MacBook Air and the OS disappeared. Uses its proprietary mSATA 2280 interface. Never seen these technologies (mSATA and m.2) fail and wouldn't expect them to. Using the Internet to reinstall, it sees the device but is greyed out in Disk Utility. Using the disc, the (OS X 10.9) Disk Utility doesn't see anything.

My workaround is to buy the A1369 to m.2 adapter and buy an m.2 SSD (non-Sandforce, SATA based; Sandforce and PCIe based SSD aren't compatible).

Next, another customer followed the prompts to install the latest UEFI into their five months old 13" Dell XPS. Now the m.2 storage device isn't recognized. In progress opening it up - they use Torx screws now lol. And, going to see if I can read it using another adapter m.2 to SATA.
    post edited by NazcaC2 - 2017/06/21 17:46:04

Intel i9-12900K
    ASUS Prime Z690-A
    Corsair 850W RM850x
    Windows 11 Professional
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
    Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
    Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/23 12:49:18 (permalink)
    Gah! I LOVE Dell[/sarcasm]... I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor, but why didn't they send it in for warranty?
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/06/23 16:30:51
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/23 16:18:18 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Gah! I LOVE[/sarcasm]... I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor, but why didn't they send it in for warranty?

I think his first choice as forum member name was Mr. Sarcasm. Or was it the name I suggested he change it to? LOL.          

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    NazcaC2
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 7420
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/23 18:58:45 (permalink)
    The Dell technician arrived today with a new m.2 SSD. Fixed. I loaded W10 1703 back on and am buying a m.2 to SATA adapter to attempt to transfer the data back, given the SSD is ok.

Intel i9-12900K
    ASUS Prime Z690-A
    Corsair 850W RM850x
    Windows 11 Professional
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
    Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
    Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
    quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/28 09:20:26 (permalink)
    had a strange thing happen, but since i actually found a few youtube videos on how to fix it i guess its not to un-common. after a windows update i lost one of my external drives, it would show as drive H but no disk info and when i clicked it it said "The File Or Directory Is Corrupted Or Unreadable" thought i lost over 1TB of data (it was backed up on my server) so i tried it on 3 different pc's including a linux box with the same result. but thankfully i found the quick and easy fix,basically all i had to do was open a command prompt and type "chkdsk /f H:" it recovered the directory and drive came up with all my files still in place. 

kidcrumb
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4541
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/28 12:40:57 (permalink)
    PC wont start. No reason why. Power outlets were fine. Different outlets are fine. Tested them all. PC still wouldn't boot.

Take the entire PC apart and bench test. Nothing works. Reset CMOS, bought new CMOS, let power drain for 2-3 days, and nothing. I'm finally about to go get a new power supply or motherboard when finally it boops. Fans spin! Its doing something it wasn't doing. Somehow, after reseating everything and bench testing every part individually this PC finally boots into bios. Put it all back into the PC and...no post.

OK. Maybe theres some interference or something. Standoffs are fine. PC is grounded. Nothing anywhere is touching anything. Take PC apart again and bench test again. works fine. Puts it all back into the PC and it finally works.

I spent like an hour a day for 2 weeks straight taking this thing apart and putting it back together. And I still have no idea what caused it to crash, why it wouldn't boot, or why it ended up working. Sometimes PCs just don't work, until they do.

Intel i7 11700k l ASUS PRIME Z590-A l ASUS TUF RTX3080Ti l 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro l Evga 1000w Gold l 512GB Samsung EVO l 2x5 TB Storage Drives l  Corsair Crystal 570X White l Audio Engine A5+

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/06/28 16:23:13 (permalink)
    kidcrumb
    PC wont start. No reason why. Power outlets were fine. Different outlets are fine. Tested them all. PC still wouldn't boot.

Take the entire PC apart and bench test. Nothing works. Reset CMOS, bought new CMOS, let power drain for 2-3 days, and nothing. I'm finally about to go get a new power supply or motherboard when finally it boops. Fans spin! Its doing something it wasn't doing. Somehow, after reseating everything and bench testing every part individually this PC finally boots into bios. Put it all back into the PC and...no post.

OK. Maybe theres some interference or something. Standoffs are fine. PC is grounded. Nothing anywhere is touching anything. Take PC apart again and bench test again. works fine. Puts it all back into the PC and it finally works.

I spent like an hour a day for 2 weeks straight taking this thing apart and putting it back together. And I still have no idea what caused it to crash, why it wouldn't boot, or why it ended up working. Sometimes PCs just don't work, until they do.

a dying cmos battery can cause this. had a similar thing happen, replaced the button cell and all was good there after

Mkkari
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/07/09 04:50:45 (permalink)
    Okay, here is some. Like 6 months i was trying to find who crashes in my computer and goes BSOD. Normally once a day, but there was too like month period with out. One by one thing to the real reason. Swapped most of parts, and tested every part in other computers/memtests/etc. (Here we go to another weird thing, but thats for later). So, okay. Fine, installed fresh OS with SSD. I didnt have it back then and this was my final test. Still bloody bsods. Somehow, i made notice that there was small time that i didnt play CSGO and ofcourse i decided to look closer this loose end. Month without that game and month without bsods. Like what magic is this. Go to play and same day got bsod. Oh boy i was so happy to find that this bastards been screwing my life. If i play that game, it might not bsod instant but maybe later that day. Until reboot. Checking forums about issues like this, but no luck. My buddy told once that fullscreen windowed is better for alt-tabbing, which i do frequently. So i changed to that. No bsods for whole month while playing. Tried fullscreen once again and bsods starts to appear.

Solution: To this day, i have no idea why csgo with fullscreen goes mad. But, well, it does. Fullscreen windowed has no worries. And no other game doesnt crash like this while fullscreen. So, no idea.

Okay, i mentioned about that another thing. While swapping parts with my friend, he bought Corsair Lowprofile memorys used and i had same set. He had another set of G.Skills, so we decided to swap straight. He got full 4x4gb set of Corsairs and i these 2x4gb G.Skills. Somewhy those Corsairs didnt like themselves, 2x4 set worked fine but when attached another set it went downhill. These were normal 1600 DDR3 sticks. Corsairs statement that buy their 4x4 set if you want them to work together, and do not mix two 2x4 kits together. This was really their statement. So, these were real XMP sticks and had nice profiles with them. Gigabytes little bit better mobo had some oc'ing itself so we tried those profiles.

Solution: 2x4 sets worked fine, 4x4 set worked fine with 2400 XMP profile. Not any other worked, but 2400. Not even 1333.

Edit: Also once when i came from work noticed that my computer was shutdown alltheway. Normally in the morning i just start it and go to work etc. I was pretty sure this time that i had it opened in the morning. Well, power button didnt respond. Cutting off power for whole system didnt do anything. Took everything from case and checked every part for some sort of damage. Even cpu was in my hands and gpus block. Nada.

Solution: Put everything back in case and start it normally.
    post edited by Mkkari - 2017/07/10 08:27:35

My Affiliate Code: WS2E1M09J4

Ryzen 1700 + Noctua D15 SE / Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 / G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 2x8gb / EVGA GTX1060 FTW+ / Evga 650W P2 / Corsair 750D / Samsung S27D850D

gipothegip
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re: Odd hardware issues, and how you solved them! 2017/07/09 12:52:53 (permalink)
    Once while upgrading my RAM, my GPU was malfunctioning. At first I thought it was my RAM. I spent a lot of time swapping out RAM sticks, every (reasonable) combination, tried the old RAM as well, and none of it worked. The BIOS displayed the RAM correctly, and my computer would POST. However, the screen would be cropped and blown up, or display nothing at all.

Reset the BIOS & CMOS, it persisted.

Reseated my graphics card, it persisted.

I then tried my integrated graphics, that worked fine. I then went into windows and checked the device manager after reseating my GPU once more and rerouting some cables to be sure they weren't in the way. I checked the PCIe slot in the device manager, and everything was fine. It detected the GPU, and there wasn't any IRQ conflicts or anything of that sort.

Switched back to my GPU and then it worked (and has been fine ever since), my guess is that it wasn't well seated, and something happened while insterting the RAM or moving things around that knocked it just out of place. It was frustrating, because I spent all my time after work for a few days trying everything, with no idea of what was wrong, for it to turn out to be something simple.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile