Nvidia's RTX 40 series could be arriving sooner than expected

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102241
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/12/01 00:02:36 (permalink)
https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-rtx-40-series-could-be-arriving-sooner-than-expected/

As 2021 draws to a close, we begin to look ahead to what’s brewing in 2022. Arguably the most anticipated PC hardware launch of 2022 is that of Nvidia’s next generation GeForce RTX 40 series graphics cards. We’re still many months away from launch, but new little tidbits of information are dripping out, indicating that development is well advanced. Factories are gearing up for production indicating that RTX 40 series cards could be on shelves sooner than anticipated. 

A report by Digitimes (paywalled) noted by RetiredEngineer via wccftech indicates that preparations for RTX 40 production are underway. Whether this means that the launch could come sooner than expected, or whether it’s a tactic to shore up supply of vital components is as yet unknown. Whatever the case, we hope that RTX 40 cards will be available in volume. Perhaps the release will coincide with Ethereum’s shift away from proof of work to proof of stake. Lower mining demand combined with ample supply should hopefully lead to more cards on shelves at lower prices, with more cards in the hands of gamers. Well, that’s the theory anyway.

RTX 40 cards – if that is what they end up being called, will utilise the Ada Lovelace series of GPUs, replacing the Ampere based RTX 30 series. They’re expected to be built using the TSMC 5nm node. Ampere generation cards are built using Samsung’s 8nm process, so the shift to TSMC is expected to further add to the competition for TSMCs advanced nodes. No doubt Nvidia had to write a rather large cheque, with Apple, AMD, Qualcomm and others all relying on TSMC for their high end production.

Ada Lovelace GPUs are expected to feature a monolithic design. Well known leaker Greymon55 claims that the high end AD102 GPU will feature up to 18432 CUDA cores, 24GB of 21 Gbps GDDR6X memory and a 2.3 to 2.5 GHz clock. This compares to the RTX 3090 with 10496 CUDA cores, 24GB of 19.5 Gbps GDDR6X and 1.4 to 1.7 GHz boost clock. This points towards the hypothetically named RTX 4090 being a very fast card indeed, though its likely to have a very steep power requirement too. The PCIe 5.0 power connector can deliver up to 600W. The days of 300W flagship cards appear to be well behind us.

The Ada Lovelace generation takes its name from Augusta Ada King, the Countess of Lovelace, who was an English mathematician in the early 19th century. She worked on Charles Babbage’s Analytical Machine and is considered by many to be the first ever computer programmer.

Nvidia’s RTX 40 series cards will go head to head with AMD’s RDNA 3 cards that could launch around the same time. They’ll be joined by Intel’s Alchemist series of GPUs which are launching much sooner in Q1 2022, though they are expected to compete against current generation cards. Intel’s second generation Battlemage GPUs are shaping up to compete with RTX 40 and RDNA 3.

2022 is looking like a very exciting year for graphics card buyers. 

Well that assumes there will be sufficient quantity, and there won't be in my personal opinion. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

9 Replies Related Threads

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Nvidia's RTX 40 series could be arriving sooner than expected 2021/12/01 04:02:06 (permalink)
    1.  With NVIDIA, launch date and release date are two separate things. 

2.  Even if Ethereum moves to proof of stake, there are plenty of other currencies out there being mined.  It would be ridiculous to base a GPU launch on if and when Ethereum will go to proof of stake.

3.  The shortages, that are still with us, are affecting all components.  Depending on when NVIDIA's production runs are contracted with TSMC, will determine quantity and availability.  NVIDIA is not in the top three of TSMC's customers.  Those are Apple, AMD, and MediaTek.

4.  Since there is a finite amount of component production across all industries.  If NVIDIA is trying to "shore up supply of vital components," in order to meet demand for the 40 series release, then what gets shorted?  The only answer would be the 30 series.

I'm just not convinced that they will move up the 40 series.  If they do, based on the current supply difficulties, it will be same as what we have now, i.e. no availability. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Nvidia's RTX 40 series could be arriving sooner than expected 2021/12/01 08:52:04 (permalink)
    Nvidia will be watching AMD & Intel to see if they need to release the next generation sooner rather than later - IMO

The business version usually launches first, they are not consumer level cards

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

joseph305
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 211
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Nvidia's RTX 40 series could be arriving sooner than expected 2021/12/01 09:33:24 (permalink)
    will suck getting hotter and louder cards.... something I don't like.

10700, msi z590 mb ,16gig ram, 3070ti ftw3 ultra, win 10  , crucial m.2's
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21170
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Nvidia's RTX 40 series could be arriving sooner than expected 2021/12/01 10:10:19 (permalink)
    joseph305

Don't buy them. Manufacturers make what people buy. This generation, the message consumers are sending is that the highest-end, most profitable cards are what they want to buy regardless of the product's pricing or shortcomings.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Nvidia's RTX 40 series could be arriving sooner than expected 2021/12/01 11:43:30 (permalink)
    I think anything is better than continuing to use Samsung if that is where the major major bottleneck is at currently.

Apple, AMD, Qualcomm have had nowhere near the issues Nvidia has had to weather with shortages (IMO).   Also keep in mind that if TSMC wants to earn (and keep) Nvidia's business, they will need to work them in to production schedules.  TSMC has 4 years or so before Samsung opens their Texas fab line.

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Nvidia's RTX 40 series could be arriving sooner than expected 2021/12/01 12:17:23 (permalink)
    Apple is having problems also (Source: MacRumors), Qualcomm multi-sourced and are expected to be fine by next year.  AMD booked production runs years ahead and they are also heavily concentrating on their enterprise/data center market.   

As far as 5nm TSMC production, which is what NVIDIA is looking for, this is the chart for just 5nm in 2021.

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: Nvidia's RTX 40 series could be arriving sooner than expected 2021/12/01 12:22:36 (permalink)
    joseph305

What? You're not looking forward to a 700w FTW4 Ultra or a 800w K|ngp|n model? lol

I've never been one to really care about GPU power requirements as it's just something I usually don't concern myself with and just get the fastest model card available. However with the new rumored 500+ watt cards and the trend pointing to even higher wattage models down the line I have to agree, it's getting ridiculous. Both my RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 Ti on water cooling can push well past 400w load in just games. Even that's ridiculous, but with new cards coming that start at 500w where does it end? 

What happened to increasing performance while staying in a reasonable TDP or even improving performance per watt? That has fallen by the wayside and they are just cranking the power budget. Which admittedly is cool to see if they bring staggering performance gains, but holy hell it's gotta get reigned in a bit. I mean currently in the US most households can only really safely run a 1600w PSU from a wall outlet. Will well have to start running our PCs on the same breakers we run appliances like our washer/dryers on?

I dunno, I like "new shiny go vroom real fast" as much as the next guy but damn, it's starting to get out of control.  

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Nvidia's RTX 40 series could be arriving sooner than expected 2021/12/01 13:02:17 (permalink)
    I expect that NVIDIA will have prototypes and know what they are going to do with VR well before it comes out and it's likely to be in response to AMD or possibly Intel. I personally think a lot of these rumors are based on people trying to scare the scalpers who need to unload the cards they bought before people start to focus on a 40XX series. I can understand that way of thinking but really a 20XX series card has still held onto a great deal of it's value because it's so hard to get a 30XX series card.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Ted-K
    • Total Posts : 56
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Nvidia's RTX 40 series could be arriving sooner than expected 2021/12/01 13:03:35 (permalink)
    Well I thought that NVidia had to release their super series first together with the new 2060 etc... so I thought that Intel would release their line January-February and then AMD would go for May and NVidia for a June release... plus we need to wait until they become available for the market... if they become available for the real market before they sell out. Also the higher Watt trend sucks, can we improve efficiency instead please? I dont need a radiator I need a decent GPU that doesnt cost an arm and a leg neither to buy nor to run... electricity seems to be getting more expensive in certain areas.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile