Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented"

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102253
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/05/05 09:14:52 (permalink)
Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" (pocket-lint.com)

The ongoing pandemic has clearly affected all our lives, some far more than others. It also continues to affect the tech world, with the games industry just one to have been hit by global semiconductor shortages. Sony cannot make enough PlayStation 5 consoles to meet demand, the same is true of Microsoft and the Xbox Series X and S. Then, in the PC gaming sphere is Nvidia. Its latest 30 series graphics cards are proving just as elusive - selling out almost instantly each time they hit online stores. Pocket-lint spoke with Nvdia's head of European consumer PR, Ben Barraondo, to find out why that's proven to be the case: "When we look at the impact that pandemic has had on technology in general, I would say the most obvious impact is it's accelerated what people are doing. It's accelerated certain buying habits," he explained to us for the latest episode of the Pocket-lint Podcast. "I certainly think gaming is one of those where people are investing more into their gaming rigs than ever before. "Because of that, people are actually doing a few things. One, it means that the most important chip inside a PC has become the GPU. And two, it means that people are spending more on their rig, whether that's higher-end components or a slightly higher end laptop. "So when we look at the demand and how many GPUs we've been selling, I would say the demand has been 100 per cent unprecedented." Even without the pandemic, though, sales of Nvdia cards have risen, especially thanks to the RTX series, with ray tracing, DLSS and other innovative technologies that others (and consoles) are now starting to catch-up on.

"We've been trying our best to get more and more stock into etailers. But equally, when you compare it back to previous generations, we've been selling more than ever before," he added. "The stock is getting there, but ultimately, people are now moving to a new part of what is important to them in terms of tech. And stuff like laptops, gaming PCs, are extremely important to many people now. That's what you're seeing the big increase from."

So if I understand this correctly NVIDIA is selling more GPUs than last year, but the overall demand is still too high. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

16 Replies Related Threads

Miguell
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1112
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 09:16:13 (permalink)
    the question is.... 

if they are selling MORE GPU's... ..then they to whom they are selling??

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830
    Display: 32" AOC Q3279VWFD8 @2560x1440@75Hz
    Cpu: Intel Core i7-8700
    Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML120L - RGB
    Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
    Vga: Asus Dual RTX 4060 Ti 16GB Advanced Edition
    Ram: 32GB DDR4  G.SKILL - RIPJAWS V @3200Mhz
    Sound: Hama uRage soundZbar 2.1 Unleashed  - (Optical)
    Storage: 500GB SSD M.2 A2000  NVMe  Kingston (OS) + 8TB (4+4) HDD X300 Toshiba (Data)
    Psu: SeaSonic M12 700W
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 09:22:33 (permalink)
    It's just rehashing the same thing though.... the demand is extremely high for PC gamers because all the production keeps going to Crypto miners/ Bots .
       ALL the gamers could have been served in the first month with proper sales checks/ address verifications /retail bot protection ,..etc...etc.... &  then the 7 months after that the miner farms can have your mega-sales...

-- BUT NO -- here we are still with the average joe can't get anything because very little has been done by most companies to even try to fix the sales problems/ bot problems.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    ?DØC?
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 09:58:31 (permalink)
    I'd be really curiouse by how much higher the demand und supply really is compared to the last generations, but they don't really seem to want to give discrete numbers.
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 10:45:11 (permalink)
    I find this insulting to read. Nvidia pretending didn't have an idea the demand was going to be high. Nvidia sold their GPUs to miners first instead of their loyal consumers/etailers. Many articles and hardware reviewers said that with proof.
    Till this day miners are still getting the GPUs and not the consumers.
    Some people have lost their jobs due to not getting a GPU at MSRP because they are either overpriced and couldn't afford or the GPUs are out of stock.
    The fault is not on the miners or bots, it is the company responsibility to distribute their stock accordingly.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 12:41:37 (permalink)
    This kind of continued chatter has me exasperate.  I guess if they repeat the BIG LIE enough it will become fact.  Gone are the days when we could rely on honest and open (transparent) communication from these companies.  I like how he only mentions ”etailers” like no other avenue exists to get consumers products.  This reeks of BS.  I guess the auctions that show huge lots of cards being auctioned off are just “fake news” and are not what is happening because “etailers” only sell to consumers.  Reall??!!??!!  Not sure this going away anything soon.  Looks like I need to dust off some old 980’s or 780Ti’s, overclock them to the max and just ride them until they melt for any new builds.  The 1080Ti’s and 2080Ti’s I bought a year ago seems like a great investment given the current situation.  If anything happens in Taiwan, things are going to get especially ugly.  Not sure this can be all blamed on the pandemic.  This market debacle was coming no matter what.
    jonnycard
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 123
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 12:53:49 (permalink)
    I Don't believe a word of it
    Miguell
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 15:25:27 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    This kind of continued chatter has me exasperate.  I guess if they repeat the BIG LIE enough it will become fact.  Gone are the days when we could rely on honest and open (transparent) communication from these companies.  I like how he only mentions ”etailers” like no other avenue exists to get consumers products.  This reeks of BS.  I guess the auctions that show huge lots of cards being auctioned off are just “fake news” and are not what is happening because “etailers” only sell to consumers.  Reall??!!??!!  Not sure this going away anything soon.  Looks like I need to dust off some old 980’s or 780Ti’s, overclock them to the max and just ride them until they melt for any new builds.  The 1080Ti’s and 2080Ti’s I bought a year ago seems like a great investment given the current situation.  If anything happens in Taiwan, things are going to get especially ugly.  Not sure this can be all blamed on the pandemic.  This market debacle was coming no matter what.

here in PORTUGAL  people are selling online their USED out of warranty  GTX 1080 ti's starting at 700€ and beyond (basically the price they costed as new)

and you can see from the dates from the announcements they are recent and some are from TODAY (HOJE)

i really made a good investment in March 2019!

from what i see all around....the GTX 1080 Ti is very BUT very far away from it's retirement!

and i also have a EVGA GTX760 SC  2GB (ACX)  getting dust on my garage...  dunno what to do with it really!!

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830
    Display: 32" AOC Q3279VWFD8 @2560x1440@75Hz
    Cpu: Intel Core i7-8700
    Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML120L - RGB
    Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
    Vga: Asus Dual RTX 4060 Ti 16GB Advanced Edition
    Ram: 32GB DDR4  G.SKILL - RIPJAWS V @3200Mhz
    Sound: Hama uRage soundZbar 2.1 Unleashed  - (Optical)
    Storage: 500GB SSD M.2 A2000  NVMe  Kingston (OS) + 8TB (4+4) HDD X300 Toshiba (Data)
    Psu: SeaSonic M12 700W
    lexxon87
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 17:13:08 (permalink)
    The demand for GPUs for mining has never been higher. Just look at Doge/ETH the last few days. Lots of hype! We'll see what ETH 2.0 and the end of ETH mining means for all of this..
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 18:00:36 (permalink)
    no it doesn't
    doesn't anyone read the news here

ETH 1.0 is forked it going to be ETG(ETH 1.0) and ETH 2.0

in a fews years they want to merge them in a hybrid system that is both POS and POW

so the old ETH is not going away

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

DrThreevil
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 22:40:13 (permalink)
    That's the thing.....mining is only part of the problem. We're dealing with a silicon shortage, supply chain issues, scalpers, miners, and paper launches where nVidia literally doesn't allow third parties to work on variants until the founders edition is already out. It's a perfect storm of awful for gamers just looking to upgrade. I went to Microcenter today and they literally didn't have any nVidia video cards..... People are camping out the night before the trucks around in the dozens just for a chance to get a card...
    brandt1985
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/05 22:48:49 (permalink)
    Anyone have sales numbers from rtx 2000 series and rtx 3000 series given the same time frame?  I'd love to see the numbers.  It's hard to believe theyve produced millions of rtx 3000 series when I've yet to actually lay eyes on one in the wild
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/06 12:06:38 (permalink)
    brandt1985
    Anyone have sales numbers from rtx 2000 series and rtx 3000 series given the same time frame?  I'd love to see the numbers.  It's hard to believe theyve produced millions of rtx 3000 series when I've yet to actually lay eyes on one in the wild

I agree.  Would love to see the comparison.  Wonder if their 10K or other financial disclosures reveal this data.  Gonna have to dig around to see if this is available.  
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/06 22:31:26 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    brandt1985

I agree.  Would love to see the comparison.  Wonder if their 10K or other financial disclosures reveal this data.  Gonna have to dig around to see if this is available.  

Having worked in a Distribution Dept. before, this type of data can be altered in many ways. You wont get an accurate number trust me.
    A couple pallets can be squeezed in and nobody will know. Pallets can be double/triple stacked making them see as one pallet.
    A truck driver can say to customs i have 20 pallets full trailer, but in reality it is 40 pallets because they are double stack, customs would not know until the drivers tell them the pallets are double stacked.
    post edited by atfrico - 2021/05/06 22:34:58

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    inevereven
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/07 15:51:36 (permalink)
    People are "spending more on their rigs" because there are no new cards at the old low-mid price ranges.
    squishymittens
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/05/07 17:07:46 (permalink)
    I feel like the shortage is mostly based on the chip shortage, moreso than just the demand. I doubt demand is higher for mining now than it was in previous generations. The 10-series GPUs were being bought out for mining ETH, and even then it wasn't even half as hard to get a GPU as it is now.
    frankcro
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Nvidia on RTX stock issues: "Demand has been unprecedented" 2021/06/03 01:08:40 (permalink)
    And poor planning and execution. But it works for them
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile