EVGA

No Display Output on x58 Classified

Author
Doritalos
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/02/19 17:46:12 (permalink)
My Brother bought some CPU parts from an IT Guy that died.  He brought it to me to finish putting it back together.  I have built my own rigs and have a TI1080, etc.

So I get to putting this together, looks like a x58 Classified with no display ports.  Nice rig.  Missing RAM, but I had my old RAM lying around so I put that in. 

I put my old 980 card in, no display output.  I put another card in, still nothing.

PCI power ports are all plugged in.  Card lights up.  Fan spins.  I checked all connectors to both cards.  Connected multiple monitors, nothing.  Cannot detect signal.

This Mobo doesn't have it's own display port apparently, so I'm at a lost here.  Any Ideas?

Attached rig.

Attached Image(s)

10 Replies Related Threads

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: No Display Output on x58 Classified 2018/02/19 18:35:30 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA forums

I have the same board, looks like you have the ram placement messed up...
    This is a triple channel MB that takes DDR3. Use ONE STICK (matching DDR3) in each of the (3) RED RAM slots and dont put any in the BLACK slots.
    *if your not sure about those "old" ram sticks, just use ONE DDR3 stick in the first RED slot closest to the CPU to get the system booting
     *you -can- run the DDR3 in dual channel mode (see the manual, first TWO red/first TWO black slots closest to CPU) but for getting the system up just use the red slots for now.

Be careful! these MB's do NOT read XMP correctly, so you will have to set RAM voltage/timings manually 

*Note: I now have a EVGA 1080Ti SC2 currently installed in mine, works perfectly

post edited by maniacvvv - 2018/02/19 19:04:56

Attached Image(s)

Doritalos
    Re: No Display Output on x58 Classified 2018/02/19 19:04:27 (permalink)
    maniacvvv

This is a triple channel MB that takes DDR3. Use ONE STICK (DDR3) in each of the red RAM slots and dont put any in the black slots.
    *if your not sure about those "old" ram sticks, just use ONE DDR3 stick in the first RED slot closest to the CPU to get the system booting
     *you -can- run the DDR3 in dual channel mode (see the manual, first TWO red/first TWO black slots closest to CPU) but for getting the system up just use the red slots for now.

Be careful! these MB's do NOT read XMP correctly, so you will have to set RAM voltage/timings manually 

*Note: I now have a EVGA 1080Ti SC2 currently installed in mine, works perfectly

Thanks, I think those are DDR2's anyway, so I'm assuming it won't work.  What are the black slots for?
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: No Display Output on x58 Classified 2018/02/19 19:11:29 (permalink)
    Red slots are (3) channels for DDR3, the Black slots are the same for a second channel

You "may" be able to get the system posting by using one stick of DDR2 in the first RED slot closest to the CPU
    If that works, add a second stick in the second RED slot.

If that works you "may" be able to run in Dual channel with sticks in the first two RED and first 2 Black slots (closest to CPU)

But--> start with just ONE stick in the first RED slot next to the CPU to see if the system will post to BIOS 
    *if you can get to BIOS, set RAM to "dual channel mode" and manually input ram volts and timings to what's printed on the sticks
    Remember these old systems link RAM and CPU memory controller directly. You should read up so you dont set your RAM speed/or Volts to high (if the sticks are newer)
    post edited by maniacvvv - 2018/02/19 19:24:43

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: No Display Output on x58 Classified 2018/02/19 20:11:24 (permalink)
    DDR2 and DDR3 is "keyed" differently. You shouldn't be able to install DDR2 memory into a DDR3 slot without breaking something. I hope you are wrong about it being DDR2 and I hope even more that you didn't break something.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Doritalos
    Re: No Display Output on x58 Classified 2018/02/19 20:31:13 (permalink)
    Thanks. I got it working by taking two of my 8gb corsair vengeance sticks. I had to put them in the slots away from the CPU because the cooler is blocking the ugly ads spine of the vengeance sticks.
    nkyadav
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 166
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: No Display Output on x58 Classified 2018/02/20 10:28:45 (permalink)
    Doritalos
    My Brother bought some CPU parts from an IT Guy that died.  He brought it to me to finish putting it back together.  I have built my own rigs and have a TI1080, etc.

So I get to putting this together, looks like a x58 Classified with no display ports.  Nice rig.  Missing RAM, but I had my old RAM lying around so I put that in. 

I put my old 980 card in, no display output.  I put another card in, still nothing.

PCI power ports are all plugged in.  Card lights up.  Fan spins.  I checked all connectors to both cards.  Connected multiple monitors, nothing.  Cannot detect signal.

This Mobo doesn't have it's own display port apparently, so I'm at a lost here.  Any Ideas?

Attached rig.

It also looks like your CPU cooler is blocking those first red and black RAM ports.

maniacvvv

This is a triple channel MB that takes DDR3. Use ONE STICK (DDR3) in each of the red RAM slots and dont put any in the black slots.

That looks a lot like my setup - only I'm in a Tt Level 10 GT with a 970 and a 560 Ti 448 Core installed. 

Ryzen 9 3950X | MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE | 128 GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz | 3x Samsung 980 Pro NVMe PCIe 4.0 | eVGA RTX 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Gaming
    nkyadav
    Superclocked Member
    Re: No Display Output on x58 Classified 2018/02/20 10:29:49 (permalink)
    Doritalos
    Thanks. I got it working by taking two of my 8gb corsair vengeance sticks. I had to put them in the slots away from the CPU because the cooler is blocking the ugly ads spine of the vengeance sticks.

Lol.  Odd, didn't see this when replying to the previous post.

Ryzen 9 3950X | MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE | 128 GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz | 3x Samsung 980 Pro NVMe PCIe 4.0 | eVGA RTX 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Gaming
    Doritalos
    Re: No Display Output on x58 Classified 2018/02/20 10:33:52 (permalink)
    nkyadav
    Doritalos

Lol.  Odd, didn't see this when replying to the previous post.

Yeah I was typing up a response like "I just said that" lol.

The smaller regular shaped RAM fits OK.  But the Corsair vengeance with the extended spine don't.  Not sure why Corsair does that, I'm wondering if it is an ornamental or functional design.
    Doritalos
    Re: No Display Output on x58 Classified 2018/02/20 10:36:39 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    DDR2 and DDR3 is "keyed" differently. You shouldn't be able to install DDR2 memory into a DDR3 slot without breaking something. I hope you are wrong about it being DDR2 and I hope even more that you didn't break something.

maniacvvv

If that works you "may" be able to run in Dual channel with sticks in the first two RED and first 2 Black slots (closest to CPU)

But--> start with just ONE stick in the first RED slot next to the CPU to see if the system will post to BIOS 

It was DDR3, but only 2GB.

Weird though, when I got it up and running with the 8GB RAM I was able to swap it back to the 2GB and it works.
    nkyadav
    Superclocked Member
    Re: No Display Output on x58 Classified 2018/02/20 10:38:44 (permalink)
    Yeah, the Classified 3s are finicky.  I've managed to avoid all memory problems by using only the red and a matched set of triple Channel Mushkin.  But this board is showing it's age....

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile