Newbie to Overclocking EVGA 750 ti GPU advice needed

Author
very_452001
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/04/05 11:20:59 (permalink)
My power supply is corsair 430M.

Can I overclock this card so it matches the EVGA 750 ti SC (SuperClocked) version and still be stable?

I notice the memory clock of this card is the same on the the EVGA 750 ti SC. Whats the differences between these 2 cards?

Im using EVGA Precision X software for the overclock. What voltage setting should I use?

Im new to overclocking and don't want to fry my new card. This card is being powered by PCI express slot only.

Shall I overclock the memory clock as well or just the core clock or both?

What are the general guidelines to GPU overclocking such as how much should I overclock it on stock cooling?

Whats the average overclock achieved on this card in % at stock cooling?

Also on Precision X when I overclock does it overclock from the boost clock or stock clock?

Thanks,

9 Replies Related Threads

very_452001
    Re: Newbie to Overclocking EVGA 750 ti GPU advice needed 2014/04/06 10:58:14 (permalink)
    Also on Precision X on default settings (no overclock, fan curve on) I can see the core clock going past the boost clock. Why is it doing that when I did not overclock it? If I uninstalled Precision X will this still happen?

Does setting the frame target to 60fp in Precision X does the overclocking automatically?
    very_452001
    Re: Newbie to Overclocking EVGA 750 ti GPU advice needed 2014/04/09 12:30:57 (permalink)
    Bump anyone?
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Newbie to Overclocking EVGA 750 ti GPU advice needed 2014/04/09 22:19:18 (permalink)
    You might be able to reach the SC core clockspeed, maybe more or maybe less, all you can do is try it..I would try it without overvolting and see how far that gets you..You may or may not need to overvolt..Leave the Memory Clock Offset be for now and just concentrate on raising the GPU Clock Offset.

In the NVIDIA Contol Panel, go to "Manage 3D settings" and set "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" and reboot..Now your GPU will be running at it's Base Clock..Increasing GPU Clock Offset from there will increase the Boost Clock..You can use GPU-Z (link) and run the Render Test (click the little "?" icon beside "Bus Interface") to quickly see how the Base Clock and Boost Clock are behaving without having to load up and run a benchmark or game.

One thing about Precision X is that you won't see a GPU overclock of your card until you change the GPU Clock Offset by 13MHz..In other words, you can only overclock in 13MHz increments, so you may not be able to get the exact clockspeed of the SC..So if you raise the GPU Clock Offset by, say 10MHz, and don't see any change in clockspeed, that's why..Or if you raise it by 20MHz, you'll only see a 13MHz increase.

The maximum GPU temperature spec. for your card is 95C (link)..I would unlink the Power Target from the Temp Target and set the Temp Target to 85C and the Power Target to it's maximum..Any time the card hits either the Power Target or Temp Target it will begin to throttle down..You can make a custom fanspeed curve so that it ramps up quicker than stock to promote cooling..Increase the GPU Clock Offset 26MHz or 52MHz at a time and run a benchmark like Unigine Valley or Heaven (link) to test it..Use On-Screen Display for monitoring..When you get to a point where freezing or atifacting occurs in benchmarks or games, reduce the GPU Clock Offset by 13Mhz and try again.

When you achieve your core overclock, you can return Power management mode to "Adaptive" if you want to which will enable the power saving features.

When you get the core overclock where it's stable, work on the Memory Clock Offset in the same manner.

Here is a video about Precision X and it's features/functions.

Here is GPU Boost 2.0 information.

Hope that helps.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

very_452001
    Re: Newbie to Overclocking EVGA 750 ti GPU advice needed 2014/04/11 15:54:02 (permalink)
    bob16314
    You might be able to reach the SC core clockspeed, maybe more or maybe less, all you can do is try it..I would try it without overvolting and see how far that gets you..You may or may not need to overvolt..Leave the Memory Clock Offset be for now and just concentrate on raising the GPU Clock Offset.

In the NVIDIA Contol Panel, go to "Manage 3D settings" and set "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" and reboot..Now your GPU will be running at it's Base Clock..Increasing GPU Clock Offset from there will increase the Boost Clock..You can use GPU-Z () and run the Render Test (click the little "?" icon beside "Bus Interface") to quickly see how the Base Clock and Boost Clock are behaving without having to load up and run a benchmark or game.

One thing about Precision X is that you won't see a GPU overclock of your card until you change the GPU Clock Offset by 13MHz..In other words, you can only overclock in 13MHz increments, so you may not be able to get the exact clockspeed of the SC..So if you raise the GPU Clock Offset by, say 10MHz, and don't see any change in clockspeed, that's why..Or if you raise it by 20MHz, you'll only see a 13MHz increase.

The maximum GPU temperature spec. for your card is 95C ()..I would unlink the Power Target from the Temp Target and set the Temp Target to 85C and the Power Target to it's maximum..Any time the card hits either the Power Target or Temp Target it will begin to throttle down..You can make a custom fanspeed curve so that it ramps up quicker than stock to promote cooling..Increase the GPU Clock Offset 26MHz or 52MHz at a time and run a benchmark like Unigine Valley or Heaven () to test it..Use On-Screen Display for monitoring..When you get to a point where freezing or atifacting occurs in benchmarks or games, reduce the GPU Clock Offset by 13Mhz and try again.

When you achieve your core overclock, you can return Power management mode to "Adaptive" if you want to which will enable the power saving features.

When you get the core overclock where it's stable, work on the Memory Clock Offset in the same manner.

is a video about Precision X and it's features/functions.

is GPU Boost 2.0 information.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info there. I am puzzled on 1 thing?:

I just realised that when I play a game I can see my GPU core overclocks to 1150 in Precision X and the voltage goes up to 1200mv. My boost clock is 1085.

Why does this happen in Precision X when I didn't add anything to the core offset? It shouldn't happen because I didn't upset the default settings in this program. I should see no more than 1085 yet I see 1150 which is a 65 MHz increase over boost clock.

Also for overclocked GPU gaming do I always set Power management mode to Maximum for the overclock to work at its best?

very_452001
    Re: Newbie to Overclocking EVGA 750 ti GPU advice needed 2014/04/25 13:00:39 (permalink)
    Also I notice that when I set "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" in Nvidia settings and restart it opens up Intel RST for this setting to work.

Why is that?
    slingshot
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Newbie to Overclocking EVGA 750 ti GPU advice needed 2014/04/25 21:47:29 (permalink)
    bob16314

In the NVIDIA Contol Panel, go to "Manage 3D settings" and set "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" and reboot..Now your GPU will be running at it's Base Clock..Increasing GPU Clock Offset from there will increase the Boost Clock..You can use GPU-Z () and run the Render Test (click the little "?" icon beside "Bus Interface") to quickly see how the Base Clock and Boost Clock are behaving without having to load up and run a benchmark or game.

The maximum GPU temperature spec. for your card is 95C ()..I would unlink the Power Target from the Temp Target and set the Temp Target to 85C and the Power Target to it's maximum..Any time the card hits either the Power Target or Temp Target it will begin to throttle down..You can make a custom fanspeed curve so that it ramps up quicker than stock to promote cooling..Increase the GPU Clock Offset 26MHz or 52MHz at a time and run a benchmark like Unigine Valley or Heaven () to test it..Use On-Screen Display for monitoring..When you get to a point where freezing or atifacting occurs in benchmarks or games, reduce the GPU Clock Offset by 13Mhz and try again.

is a video about Precision X and it's features/functions.

is GPU Boost 2.0 information.

Hope that helps.

Top post  bob16314  Your advice has helped me understand a fair bit more of my card, and helped me achieve a significant stable overclock that I hadn't achieved before. Thanks for the heads up!!!
    Where there's a Will there's a Way. Good luck with your overclock very_452001
    post edited by slingshot - 2014/04/25 21:52:13

We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria
    My System Specs:
    MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z   GPU:EVGA GTX 780  PSU:Corsair AX-1200i 
     CPU:
    AMD FX-9590 Cooler: Corsair Hydro H105 Case: Corsair 750D

Memory:Corsair Dominator Platinum@1866MHz x 8GB SSD:Samsung 500GB 840 EVO
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Newbie to Overclocking EVGA 750 ti GPU advice needed 2014/04/26 06:14:40 (permalink)
    Sorry I didn't get back to you, some of my forum notifications have been going to the spam folder since I changed my e-mail addy and I totally missed it.

The word has it (link) that 13 different GPU parameters are considered in the clocking and voltage algorithms of GPU-Boost, most all of which remain undisclosed by NVIDIA due to patent/trade secret reasons I suppose..What you probably have there is a good quality GPU chip that can boost higher at a lower voltage, Precision has nothing to do with it, it just reads the GPU clock/voltage that are being allowed by the GPU-Boost algorithms..You can check the ASIC quality (link) of your GPU by right-clicking the top of GPU-Z and then "Read ASIC quality".

You can leave "Prefer maximum performance" enabled if you want, up to you, but you may not (probably not) even see a difference in gaming..You might notice a difference when benchmarking..You will notice higher temp and power consumption though.

I have no idea why IRST would open when you set "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance"..That's a new one on me.

@ Slingshot..Glad it helped you out.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

very_452001
    Re: Newbie to Overclocking EVGA 750 ti GPU advice needed 2014/04/26 11:10:27 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Sorry I didn't get back to you, some of my forum notifications have been going to the spam folder since I changed my e-mail addy and I totally missed it.

The word has it () that 13 different GPU parameters are considered in the clocking and voltage algorithms of GPU-Boost, most all of which remain undisclosed by NVIDIA due to patent/trade secret reasons I suppose..What you probably have there is a good quality GPU chip that can boost higher at a lower voltage, Precision has nothing to do with it, it just reads the GPU clock/voltage that are being allowed by the GPU-Boost algorithms..You can check the ASIC quality () of your GPU by right-clicking the top of GPU-Z and then "Read ASIC quality".

You can leave "Prefer maximum performance" enabled if you want, up to you, but you may not (probably not) even see a difference in gaming..You might notice a difference when benchmarking..You will notice higher temp and power consumption though.

I have no idea why IRST would open when you set "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance"..That's a new one on me.

@ Slingshot..Glad it helped you out.

Thanks for the advice there.

However my ASIC quality is 65.3%. So is my situation normal?

Yeah Im puzzled on why Intel RST has to be enabled for "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" to work? I can see my clock speeds jump up to base clock speeds in Precision X as soon as I open IRST?
    post edited by very_452001 - 2014/04/26 11:44:48
    tombavar
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Newbie to Overclocking EVGA 750 ti GPU advice needed 2014/10/07 10:58:33 (permalink)
    bob16314When you get the core overclock where it's stable, work on the Memory Clock Offset in the same manner.

Core overclock set. Thank you!
    What value do you recommend for the memory clock offset? I set it to +248 = 3000 and all appears well. 
    Thanks, Tom

post edited by tombavar - 2014/10/07 23:50:43
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile