EVGA

New Z490 Need setup help!

Author
Fuzzypunks
  • Total Posts : 96
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/01/04 19:32:29 (permalink)
So i just installed my Z490 dark motherboard and I cannot get it past the bios. I followed all of the instructions in the manual as I’m using a NVME hard drive i have plugged into the first M2 slot. Under boot option 1 it does not say M2 as an option so I am using hard drive as the manual stated but it will not boot. What am I doing wrong. This NVME has windows already loaded on it as it is from my old system. Thanks!

Use my Associate Code to get great deals on EVGA Products. Use it at Checkout!
MVELW6K047QP0BC

5 Replies Related Threads

chasreno
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: New Z490 Need setup help! 2021/01/04 20:27:46 (permalink)
    In bios there is a option to show all boot options that makes you select what drive you want.
     Be sure sure you give yourself that option.  Go over the following (my FTW) should be similar for your DARK.
                                Don't be like me ...slow down...had the same initial problem ...
    Page 23 ****HDD/SSD/M.2 Setup Next, click “Boot” from the menu list at the top. “Boot Option #1” should show the device that you intend to install your operating system. If you are using a standard SSD/HDD connected to a SATA port, but the device is not present in the Boot Option #1 menu, scroll down to “UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities” at the bottom. In this menu, the top item will be “1st Boot” and will have a pulldown menu on the right. Click on the pulldown menu and select the intended drive; this will make the drive appear on the previous menu. If the drive continues to be missing, please check the troubleshooting section on Page 146. If you plan on using an M.2 as a boot device, click on or navigate to the “Advanced” menu, select “Onboard Device Configuration” and enable the port with your installed M.2 device. Once this is done, press F10 to save and exit, plug in your operating system installation medium (likely a thumb drive) and Windows 10 should be able to boot to the M.2 without issue.
    Additional information to assist with M.2 or PCIe installation can be found in the next section.
     *Note* Some device manufacturers require specific drivers for HDDs or SSDs (such as M.2) before Windows can detect the drive for installation. Please make sure to consult the manufacturer’s instructions for your
    Page 146 ****SSD / HDD is not detected It is important to note that, as with *ALL* storage devices, if there is a connectivity issue, make sure it is enabled in BIOS. Likewise, if there is a device that shares bandwidth with your SSD or HDD (Page 23), make sure that the desired device is enabled in BIOS, or all other troubleshooting that comes after this section is moot. If you’ve physically installed a drive that is not detected in Windows, by Windows setup, or within BIOS, please take the following steps. Component troubleshooting is primarily accomplished through process of elimination testing to deduce a faulty component or a bad connection.
    Hopefully your M.2 drive is seated properly!

EVGA­_Z490FTW*i9 10900*Patriot Viper 32G 4400ram*EVGA_GTX1060SC*EVGA_DG-77case*EVGA_750GA PS
    EVGA_CLC 360mm*EVGA_Z10 KB*Wicked Bunny*2xWD NVMe_BLACK SN750 500G*2x HDD_BLACK 1TB*WD SSD_BLUE 1TB
    Fuzzypunks
    Re: New Z490 Need setup help! 2021/01/04 20:31:07 (permalink)
    When I go into the advanced menu it says enabled and for each M2 slot it says auto, the bios does not match the instructions. I tried every item listed above and as I read it also and nothing worked. I did check and under advanced setup there is a NVME tab, I clicked it and it does recognize my drive, shows it by name and everything.

MVELW6K047QP0BC
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: New Z490 Need setup help! 2021/01/05 01:38:45 (permalink)
    Actually I believe there should be a Windows Boot Manager option in the boot options and if it is not there then you might have to boot from a Windows USB stick and reinstall windows. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

chasreno
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: New Z490 Need setup help! 2021/01/05 09:53:40 (permalink)
    If still hung up ..look at doing this (windows boot USB should have gotten you access to your on board drives)
    Go into BIOS.... IN MENU
    Advanced   go to Onboard Devices     tap  ..everything should be ENABLED
                        Next down and  Check again NVME Config   tap ... verify .. you said your m.2 drives are showing

GO TO MENU
    BOOT          go to Aways Show Boot Option  put it ON
     note ####  this will save time as you set up and give you a visual on what is available to boot
    (you can later turn off) but now in the future when you go to start PC it will give option to go to into (select) the bios (no need to tap delete) .. OR you will need to select drive option before it will go to windows.
                    Next    BOOT MODE SELECT   look to make sure you are in   UEFI     (if not that’s another story)
                    Next   schroll down to Boot option 1    make sure you have selected  
    Hard disk windows Boot manager
                 Next  schroll down to UEFI Hard Drive BBS priorities   should show
                                                                                                                    Windows Boot Manager (your m.2 drive ID)
    GO TO MENU
    SAVE & EXIT
    Next
    (go to and LOOK ..do not tap… see what is in)
                      Boot Override    it should indicate     Windows Boot Manager (your m.2 drive ID)
                                    If so then move on don’t tap ….it is recognized

NOW SAVE AND REBOOT  Screen should go to option menu as in above note####
    Good luck from this OLD MAN

EVGA­_Z490FTW*i9 10900*Patriot Viper 32G 4400ram*EVGA_GTX1060SC*EVGA_DG-77case*EVGA_750GA PS
    EVGA_CLC 360mm*EVGA_Z10 KB*Wicked Bunny*2xWD NVMe_BLACK SN750 500G*2x HDD_BLACK 1TB*WD SSD_BLUE 1TB*Win10Pro*Hitachi2.5backupboot HDD
    Fuzzypunks
    Re: New Z490 Need setup help! 2021/01/05 21:15:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for everyone’s help but I ended up having to format the drive and install windows fresh. Tech support said that the existing windows setup didn’t mesh with the new board. All Is working now, I just have to download about a terabyte of data now 😢

MVELW6K047QP0BC
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile